Drumming in Afghanistan

resohead

Silver Member
Canadian soldier drumming at a forward operating base in Afghanistan. Come home soon, my friend.

Attachments

• can-soldier.jpg
    can-soldier.jpg
    164.1 KB · Views: 582
I spent 9 months in Kuwait last year. I was jonesing to play the drums the entire time. Two weeks before I left, the chapel got a new kit, but no sticks. Took two weeks to get the sticks so I never got to play.

I am glad your friend got to play while he was out there. I hope he comes home safe.

I was in Iraq for a year, dragged a Black Beauty over there. Then I got to thinking about it, after coming home the first time, It was months before a back firing car was just a back firing car. Some of you know that exact feeling. That's when I invested in a Roland E-kit and stuck it in my CHU (Containerized Housing Unit). Headphones only.

But my drumming highlight were the USO shows, lots of bands, Los Lonely Boys, Sevendust, Nell Bryden, The Effects and Scars on Broadway (Off shoot of System of a Down) came to play. I got to sit in on John Dolymoyan's kit during rehearsal. He had a ride cymbal that could double as a tire on a tractor trailor.

Morgan Rose was awesome too, incredibly nice guys.

So to your Canadian Friend, Thank you and rock on, and to all the bands and musicians who go over there to support the troops, thank you too.

And one other note, none of them talked politics, it was really cool, they just came to perform a service for Soldiers and Marines. And most importantly, it was not that safe for them, they were at risk and they did it anyway.

I spent 9 months in Kuwait last year. I was jonesing to play the drums the entire time. Two weeks before I left, the chapel got a new kit, but no sticks. Took two weeks to get the sticks so I never got to play.

Ouch. So near yet so far ...

Amazing pic. Great example of making lemonade from lemons. Is he sitting low or is it just the angle?

Nice!! Last time I was in Afghanistan (2003) I got a coin for drumming. Back then we would refit out of Bagram and then do long missions for a couple weeks at a time (or longer) with nothing but what we carried on our backs.

Here is a picture with the Italian Army, an Apache Pilot and myself on the drums. All these years later I still keep in contact with my friends from the Italian Army.

Attachments

• Drums.jpg
    Drums.jpg
    40.7 KB · Views: 211
Back