Achieving the PUNCHY, Fat tonal sound.

PUNCH !

I'm pretty new to these forums, and I'd consider myself..A novice drummer at best. I've been drumming for approximately 4-5 years, but never..found a tone/sound I really really sought after.

So now, I do have a few questions when it comes to getting out "Fat" and "Punchy" Tones out of drums.

- What would be a general idea when it comes to tuning the batter/reso sides ?
- What type of wood, would be ideal for a warm, punchy tone ?
- Sizes of toms/bass that could be ideal ?

These sound like such nooby questions, but I really am curious. : )
Thank you for taking the time to read !

I'm pretty new to these forums, and I'd consider myself..A novice drummer at best. I've been drumming for approximately 4-5 years, but never..found a tone/sound I really really sought after.

So now, I do have a few questions when it comes to getting out "Fat" and "Punchy" Tones out of drums.

- What would be a general idea when it comes to tuning the batter/reso sides ?
- What type of wood, would be ideal for a warm, punchy tone ?
- Sizes of toms/bass that could be ideal ?

These sound like such nooby questions, but I really am curious. : )
Thank you for taking the time to read !

Although head choice, sticks and drum type are a factor, I believe strongly that the best sourse of tone is the drummer's touch. It is important to learn to play off the head, allowing the stick to rebound. As opposed to bashing into the head. Which only serves to choke the drum.

So get a good teacher and learn proper technique. This is the way to achieve the sound you want.

Good luck.

Three things that help:

• Rim shots
  • Heel up bass drum
  • Natural, strong but loose grip and technique

Stronger sticks help, but most of it is in the way you hit the drums. I use Promark Carter Beauford sticks which are a mid-sized sorta stick. Enough power while being light and fast.

It is important to learn to play off the head, allowing the stick to rebound.
Agreed. A lot of how much you get out of a certain drumkit is merely the way you your two wooden weapons :)

Get a c.1980s Yamaha 9000 kit with pinstripe batters, I think it would hit the spot. It's an immensely satisfying experience playing one of these kits.

Back