Question about forum etiquette.

skinbeater63

Is it ok to post in older dead threads? I know its frowned upon to post the same question again but sometimes i would like to know more than whats already been posted. I'm a newbie so i mis out on some older topics. I did read the forum rules but all i seen was don't post the same question.
Anyway I try not to be annoying so i want to make sure I'm doing things right.
Thanks
P.S. Sorry if this has been asked but i didn't see it anywhere.

If you're posting a question asking for further information not found in that thread, or for clarification of something posted in that thread, I don't see a problem. If all you post is, "Yeah, right on," or something, that's not cool.

All the same, be prepared for good-natured ribbing about thread necromancy. Because that stuff's never not funny. :p

It's always wise to add that you've done a search before starting or reviving threads. Some of us can get grumpy about people not making an effort to find information for themselves.

Yeah, right on.

I MEANT THREE YEARS LATER, ASS-CACTUS.

:p

ThreadNecromancer.jpg

As long as the thread isn't closed it's not dead. But if there is newer info posting shouldn't be a problem.

You can't do right for doing wrong. If you start a new thread, you get "Do a search, this was raised in 1921". If you revive a previous one, it's "Ohh, this old one again."

I love this forum, with all the love I have in my heart, by the way. It tolerates my imperfections, and I rejoice in everything that it offers.

personally i enjoy when an old thread is resurrected. i get to see old usernames and wonder where they went to. i also get to see how current users responses have changed or matured over the years.
i think i even saw an ancient thread where larry had a metal snare...and bo had a new kit

You could choose an appropriate quote from the old thread and use it to start off your new thread.

Blah blah drums drums

I found this in an old thread and I was wondering if anyone Blah blah drums drums drums

Quote...You can't do right for doing wrong. If you start a new thread, you get "Do a search, this was raised in 1921". If you revive a previous one, it's "Ohh, this old one again."

this is a complete exaggeration. Everyone knows this forum didn't start until 1941.
However if you see a thread that is 7 years old where the original poster asked which drum should i get, A or B one can assume said poster has made up his mind by now.

Is it ok to post in older dead threads?

Ultimately, just take a common sense approach mate. If you have something further to add or ask that wasn't originally covered, then sure. As Opentune said, some old threads have been revived, had new life breathed into them and gone on to add a wealth of new information and perspective to what was originally there.

Where people tend to roll their eyes and get a bit testy is when someone resurrects an old thread from 2008 suggesting that the OP indeed buy the drums he was asking about 8 years ago. Now that, is bordering on the moronic for a host of reasons.

All threads are open to anyone except those regarding white Mapex Saturn's.
Those who've been here awhile will know what that was all about...

And because I haven't been here that long............what was the White Mapex Saturn issue/affair/scandal/debate/bloodbath please?

And because I haven't been here that long............what was the White Mapex Saturn issue/affair/scandal/debate/bloodbath please?

There ain't enough hours in the day mate.

Needless to say, it was a long running saga that requires many, many hours and many, many pints at the bar to accurately relay to you.

Indeed. That thread was moved to the At The Pub Only section.

Back