Terry Bozzio

Re: Terry Bozzio drum pic

i saw a bozzio clinic about 12 years ago. though his setup is bigger now, it was still huge even back then.

all in all, after hearing about his frikkin' "ostinatos" all frikkin' night i found his clinic full of "zzzzzzzzzs". great player, boring clinic.

So - we have many close minded people out there who throw around insults at Terry Bozzio?? What's up? You are missing the point. . . he is an artist who has something to say. For all the critical drummers on this post. Here is where you all need to go. . .

You need to go play thousands of professional performances and clinics worldwide with the top musicians in the world and gain endorsements from top manufacturers. And then, and only then have you even began to earn the right to say anything at all about Terry!!

Take a look at what you guys are saying. . . oh ya - I forgot you don't care!! So is the mentality today - what is that producing?? Nothing productive is my guess. . .

Rip on this..............

it's impressive, but my experience with him and from others is that he is a giant jerk.
That's really too bad. He may not come across as a type of guy that you'd like to have a drink and watch a game with (Bermuda, Dom Famularo, and Joel Rosenblatt immediately come to mind), but I found him to be extremely polite and professional, especially considering the circumstances.

I could have gotten in touch with his publicist and scheduled an interview, but instead I approached as just another fan during a break at a show. He had just finished the first half of a gig thirty seconds before and was walking towards the back door to take a much-needed breather. I asked him if maybe at some point that night he could take a moment for a quick chat, and he said, "Sure. How about right now."

He's been a highly successful musician for 35 years, and I'm sure he's had to endure this type of interaction thousands of times. I've been a fan of his music since I was a kid. This event cemented my admiration of him.

Back on subject, I have a huge amount of respect for drummers who have mastered the small kit but it's no secret that I love big kits and the musical and percussive opportunities that are unique to them. Terry's message is not the same as the message of small kit masters, and there's no reason that his mode of communication should be the same as theirs.

That's really too bad. He may not come across as a type of guy that you'd like to have a drink and watch a game with (Bermuda, Dom Famularo, and Joel Rosenblatt immediately come to mind), but I found him to be extremely polite and professional, especially considering the circumstances.

I could have gotten in touch with his publicist and scheduled an interview, but instead I approached as just another fan during a break at a show. He had just finished the first half of a gig thirty seconds before and was walking towards the back door to take a much-needed breather. I asked him if maybe at some point that night he could take a moment for a quick chat, and he said, "Sure. How about right now."

He's been a highly successful musician for 35 years, and I'm sure he's had to endure this type of interaction thousands of times. I've been a fan of his music since I was a kid. This event cemented my admiration of him.

Back on subject, I have a huge amount of respect for drummers who have mastered the small kit but it's no secret that I love big kits and the musical and percussive opportunities that are unique to them. Terry's message is not the same as the message of small kit masters, and there's no reason that his mode of communication should be the same as theirs.

The first time I met Terry Bozzio was at a PASIC convention in 1986 or so. I had written an “ask a Pro” question to Modern Drummer and figured if I had a chance to talk with him I’d let him know I sent it in. He had a great clinic this was when he was just starting to do this after Missing Persons breakup. After the clinic I went up to talk to him and asked if he would be willing to sign and autograph on the “Ask a Pro” section. He asked “are you the guy who sent this in? “ to which I said “yes”. He replied “thanks man! “ and shook my hand and signed it. I also got to talk with him about project ideas he was having at the time. He had been thinking about doing a Solo Album and he told me about various people he wanted on the album Adrian Belew, Patrick O’hearn were a couple he mentioned.

The second time I met him was after a Jeff Beck show on the Guitar Shop tour. A Friend and I were hired as ‘temp security’ for the show. Afterwards we snuck down a stairwell to see if there was anyone there to talk to or meet. When we got to the backstage area the Real security saw us…and so did Bozzio ..I had a Drum magazine with an article in my hand and when he saw that the guy was going to have us removed he “called off the dogs” and came over to talk with us for awhile. Again really friendly or cordial. He signed some stuff again. We also talked with Stevie Ray….it was a double header show.

I tried unsuccessfully to try to talk with him at a recent ZpZ show last November but he had family visiting him. No luck this time… I figured I would say something about winning the contest and thank him talks drums etc etc…the stage manager people were kind of rude about things…

Anyway I guess my point is in the times I actually did get a chance to talk with him and not stage handlers….he has been pretty cool.

I suppose anyone can have bad days though and not want to talk. I met Buddy a couple times and he was …let’s just say a little rough and dismissive at the time.

Anyway I guess my point is in the times I actually did get a chance to talk with him and not stage handlers….he has been pretty cool.

I suppose anyone can have bad days though and not want to talk. I met Buddy a couple times and he was …let’s just say a little rough and dismissive at the time.
Great post, thanks. And seriously, if we use Buddy as the "Gold Standard" of a warm and fuzzy guy then pretty much every other drummer is cool to his fans by comparison. Some guys are just not interested in being nice to fans, but of the many pro drummers that I've met most are nice guys who occasionally have bad days, just like the rest of us. I judge them first and foremost by their drumming, and Terry is a flat out phenomenon behind the kit, and he also happens to be a pretty cool dude.

Great post, thanks. And seriously, if we use Buddy as the "Gold Standard" of a warm and fuzzy guy then pretty much every other drummer is cool to his fans by comparison. Some guys are just not interested in being nice to fans, but of the many pro drummers that I've met most are nice guys who occasionally have bad days, just like the rest of us. I judge them first and foremost by their drumming, and Terry is a flat out phenomenon behind the kit, and he also happens to be a pretty cool dude.

Agreed many other players I have met have been really cool as well. Vinnie was busy but still took time for a autograph and was cool. Gregg Bissonette was really nice. Art Blakey was a cool guy...Louie Bellson was a realy nice guy who spent time talking with me. Billy Cobham...the same. I guess if Bozzio were such a jerk as some say I doubt he would have called off security on us ...he would have let them throw us out that time.

I guess there is doubt in many people's minds about his ability on a standard kit. I say, how does it matter? He's definitely innovative and impressive on his kit (however massive), for which reason alone I'd rather keep him on our side than give him up to the xylophone or piano team.

I have had the good fortune to see TB play with Missing Person's twice. Once on the Spring Session M tour (Phew!) and then the Rhyme & Reason tour in 1984. They played at Six Flags where we were the house band, so I got to help load in and sit behind his electric "tube" kit. Tiny little pads all over the place, but you could most of his body through the custome design. I noticed and pointed out a tiny set list posted in one of the tubes and remarked to my bass player that I would surely screw up the set if mine was that small. Well, a few bars in the second or third tune, Missing Persons had to stop and Terry apologized to the crowd for starting the wrong song.

I also got to see him in clinic with Sonny Emory. That was one for the books. They had a little drum battle and once Sonny started with the stick tricks, Terry said "uncle"( I highly doubt it, but he's a true gentleman).

I saw Bozzio play live in Long Beach in 1979. He was in the band U.K. ( he replaced Bruford in that band ). U.K. was the opening act for Jethro Tull , and in my opinion blew them off the stage.

Terry was playing his Remo kit ; roto toms over a Slingerland bass drum. Man, he was amazing ! ( and Brufords are no small shoes for anyone to fill )

I've been a fan of Bozzio ever since.

I saw Bozzio play live in Long Beach in 1979. He was in the band U.K. ( he replaced Bruford in that band ). U.K. was the opening act for Jethro Tull , and in my opinion blew them off the stage.

Terry was playing his Remo kit ; roto toms over a Slingerland bass drum. Man, he was amazing ! ( and Brufords are no small shoes for anyone to fill )

I've been a fan of Bozzio ever since.

Welcome to our little community. I think you'll like it here.

Thanks Slingerland755. I think I'll like it here , too. By the way , speaking of his performance with U>K> - how did you like his playing on " In the Dead of Night " ?

I didn't want the song to end.

Terry's playing is not like a normal drummers playing. From his setup to his style, nothing is, he is a mad man behind the kit, and does it well!
His playing has influenced a lot of people, and his work on Korn definitly shows a side to his playing that everyone who think he "cant" be a normal drummer, can.
He plays the songs great and gives the songs a lot of feel. I wish Korn would take him on tour with them.

Thanks Slingerland755. I think I'll like it here , too. By the way , speaking of his performance with U>K> - how did you like his playing on " In the Dead of Night " ?

I didn't want the song to end.

Hey Derek,
I almost used that tune as an example. Awesome! It's amazing to think how good he was back then. I have that record (which is now warped), so I need to get a copy somewhere.

His kit is in a higher level.. Its like guitar, violin, keybords or other music instrument.. It has a continuity between every each sound it can make.. That why like his kit Bozzio himself, even if I'm not a fan of big kits.. You know, its just how he's using it.. I thonk He's one of the best..

Terry Bozzio is amazing i'm a huge Zappa fan and all of his drummers have been amazing from vinnie to chad wackerman to aynsley dunbar to chester thompson but Bozzio is definitely one of the most recognisable Zappa players. Just watch Baby Snakes and it's absolutely mind blowing. I think it's great how he's gone from that to doing so many different projects and it takes a lot of guts do play solo drum shows it's great to see someone be totally innovative throughout his whole career (from home made electric kits to monster pitch tuned kits)

Back