Newbie to use Superior Drummer with Roland TD6

Moxano

Hello forums!
I've been using a Roland TD6 KX for a year and recently got Superior Drummer and Toontrack Solo. I've installed all the software and I'm using a USB-->MIDI adapter which is recognized by Windows (using 7 64 bit) and Superior Drummer. Now I just wonder.. how do I get those samples to play while playing the drum kit? I've been trying to figure it out via the user's manual but can't just figure out how. Which MIDI settings should I set in the drum module?

I'd use the V-drums forums but they don't work for my brower(s).

Thanks in advance!
Nisse

I don't actually know the answer, but perhaps you could figure out what the MIDI outputs from the TD6 are and assign those in Superior? IIRC it has a piano roll that animates when MIDI inputs are received, though if it doesn't seem to be receiving the TD6 signals, I don't know what to do :(

I'm surprised that I've actually been able to get my stuff to work! I got a TD-12 and I'm running MIDI to MIDI to a Roland Quad Capture interface. I don't think you need to worry about the MIDI settings on your brain.

First off, is your computer recognizing the brain? I'm running through the interface into my iMac. When you open up Toontrack Solo, do you see the heads changing color when you hit a pad? If you see the various drums light up when you hit a pad but no sound, it may be that you need to change some audio settings either via preferences (mac) or control panel/audio (pc). If it is lighting up, don't worry if the wrong parts are going up when you hit a pad, such as a bass drum going off when you hit your snare, because you can use the learn function to assign instruments to the various pads. I do think Toontrack had Roland in mind when coming up with the program though, so it should have good defaults.

Good luck and let me know if you've made any progress!

Ok, I just went through it and I think I found the thing that kept me from getting it to work.

1.) Open toontrack solo.
2.) Superior drummer is the only option I have that comes up, other than to open a pre-existing project. Click ok on Superior Drummer.
3.) When you see view with the drum set come up (Standard view under the main Construct tab), click on the "Mapping" tab at the top; it's the fourth from the left on my window that comes up.
4.) You should see a keyboard at the bottom of the panel. Click on the tab that says "Presets" above it.
5.) Click MIDI/Note Mapping/E-drums.

That should do it. I'm not real good with posting images or screen grabs, but hopefully you'll be able to see what I'm talking about.

Lycka till! Jag såg just nu att du är svensk också!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 9.04.40 PM.jpg
    Screen Shot 2014-02-18 at 9.04.40 PM.jpg
    136.3 KB · Views: 2,257
Hi Nisse,

How have you found the kit? I'm looking at buying one as my first kit. I've only had 4 lessons so far, but dying to bang on stuff at home!

My teacher is keen on me to get the best possible one, but I need to budget and I've found a reasonably priced 2nd hand TD 6KX. He did mention the potential to crack the bass drum stands/supports if using it too vigorously. Have you had any issues?

Cheers!

Jack

Back