Great new addition to my Grohl/Hawkins/Bonham style kit

JimmyTheMonkey

Zildjian 24" ZHT Ride. This is the ride Grohl used with Them Crooked Vultures. Very hard to find. I had to scope out ebay/CL for better part of a year to find one. Very happy. I am switching back and forth with my 21" A Sweet Ride.

It is HUGE. Makes the other cymbals feel like splashes. I really like it. Nice tone - a lot more pingy. Great foil to the Sweet Ride

SAM_0080.jpg

SAM_0078.jpg

Cymbals are all about the ear of the beholder. Now lets talk about that excessive use of moon gel.

Cymbals are all about the ear of the beholder. Now lets talk about that excessive use of moon gel.

Haha. It doesn't need the moon gel. The drums tune up quite nicely. I just messed around with it to try and shorten the sound as much as I could a la Grohl. He actually uses around 2x the amount of moon gel that I did, but I didn't feel like spending that much on moon gel.

Bonham kept his tom really high and kind of flat.
I have always wondered how he played it so well.
If you move your hi tom to the left of the bass drum a bit you can lower it more.

you risk denting your head more at that high tom angle.
might wanna move left as advised and tilt up
maybe sit higher in throne to access it.
don't forget Grohl's mega moongel was for studio work, I bet your toms sound fine without it
I wonder what possessed him to try a ZHT at all, when he can afford so many more pro level cymbals. .... whatever works.

Back