Score... new snare

alparrott

Diamond Member
So Bo has been going with bigger cymbals... I'm going with smaller drums.

A friend of mine with whom I've done a lot of swaps and sales back and forth since I moved to town had a little 5x12 maple snare in some sort of wrap that he stripped, stained, and re-outfitted with gold hoops, matching tube lugs, and a gold DW throwoff and butt. He decided to Craigslist it, plus a nearly new snare stand and some piccolo adapter clamps, for $100.

If you just add up the DW throwoff, the stand and the adapters you're already in the $120 ballpark, so I said, what the hey, let me take a look at it.

Badabing. This thing is like having a .45 pistol in the middle of your drumset. He had a Gavin Harrison thing going some time back and trimmed the snare wires, so I'm sure if I put a 16-strand on there I could get more buzz and sensitivity out of it, but what I noticed immediately is how little snare buzz I get from the toms suddenly. I tuned the batter medium-tight (he's got a worn-in Fiberskyn on there) and put the snare-side head a bit tighter (as I normally do) and this little thing took off. Just snaps the rimshots, barks in the middle, and sizzles with the ghost strokes. I tuned down the batter for a second, and I heard this really fat dubstep sound, kind of like when Benny puts the record on top of his snare., I can see this thing doing quite a bit more than you would expect out of a 12"... way more body than I expected.

Since I'm currently drumming in a cement-floor, sheetrock-wall garage, I can't do any recordings where you could hear what this thing really sounds like as of now. But pictures? Yes. It did happen! (Pardon the blurry... cellphone and excited shaking hands!)

Attachments

• newsnare1.jpg
    newsnare1.jpg
    473.6 KB · Views: 403
  • newsnare3.jpg
    newsnare3.jpg
    131 KB · Views: 363
Here's some shots in better light. It's beautifully stained, my friend Kevin did an outstanding job. It looks better than the cajon it's sitting on!

Attachments

• newsnare6.jpg
    newsnare6.jpg
    109.9 KB · Views: 321
  • newsnare7.jpg
    newsnare7.jpg
    82.8 KB · Views: 300
  • newsnare8.jpg
    newsnare8.jpg
    74.9 KB · Views: 315
  • newsnare9.jpg
    newsnare9.jpg
    77.6 KB · Views: 301
It cracks me up a little bit seeing Gavin (such a big guy) playing that little snare.

I bet it sounds great.

It cracks me up a little bit seeing Gavin (such a big guy) playing that little snare.

I bet it sounds great.

No doubt, it probably does look weird when he plays one. Let me tell you, though, I'm not a big guy myself - 5'5" - and it makes the kit much easier to play not having the snare brushing up against your kness, inner thighs, etc. I found it a breeze to get around the kit with that extra inch of clearance on each side. I don't think the sound will be appropriate for every situation, but I hope to play it as often as possible because of the newfound freedom of movement.

Back