Ambassador X For me!

Coldhardsteel

Gold Member
Alright, I sold a couple of cymbals(crummy Zil's, urgh) on consignment and I got the check for the first one, ended up with $50.25 to spend.

I found out how much Musiciansfriend was selling Ambassador X's and I will be outifitting my 16" and 12" tom with new batters as soon as I can after getting home from vacation. I can't wait to see how they sound on my drums after living with God-nows-how-old pinstripes on them.

Now, just in case I'm making the wrong decision, try and advise me otherwise towards better heads. Let's make it a challenge, for fun, try and change my brand loyalty. :p

i thought amb x's were for snares? bu ti guess you can use them on toms, i've never used them before, but i almost bought one

I thought that they were for snares as well, maybe the expanded them. Who knows.

Ambassador X was expanded to tom sizes to compete directly with the Evans G-plus, the other 12 mil head. Similarly, it seems Evans has added white coated versions to the G-Plus line, most likely to appeal to anyone that might choose Ambassador X just because of the white coated vs. frost coated issue.

Ambassador X was expanded to tom sizes to compete directly with the Evans G-plus, the other 12 mil head. Similarly, it seems Evans has added white coated versions to the G-Plus line, most likely to appeal to anyone that might choose Ambassador X just because of the white coated vs. frost coated issue.

Thanks for that heads-up. Despite Evans' claims that the white and frosty coatings are identical except for the pigment, I've always hated the sound of that frosty coating--very plasticky. Perhaps Evans has discovered that they sound different, too.

Now Remo should offer the Ambassador X in clear, and all will be right with the world. ;-)

I have them on my Oak Customs and they sound great to me.

I thought that they were for snares as well, maybe the expanded them. Who knows.

Even if they're for snares, why not try it? I had an Evans Genera HD dry (top and bottom) on a 14" floor tom, right next to my 14" snare. Sounded pretty phat to me.

Just went all the way around after trying on the snare, 14". 8",10",12",16"

My favorite heads to date. Perfect balance between Ambassador and Emperor, oh they feel great too!

I've heard people complain that the G Plus heads cut down on attack too much. I hope that's not the case w/ Amb X as I'd really like to try them out.

I just put an Amb X on one of my BB's. I'll give an update on how it is, but so far just messing with it a little, it seems cool.

I usually like an Emp because I like the overtones, but this one seems like it's right between the smooth (even) sound of an ambassador and an Emp.

Can't tell on the feel though, just got it tuned and played on it for a minute.

I using that drum on a gig on Saturday (7th) so we'll see....

Used the snare with the Amb X on it tonight (a 6.5 black beauty) and it sounded nice, but it felt thick compared to the Emps I'm used to.
I know it's 12mm, but an Emp is 14 (2-7's) so why it felt thick I don't know. It didn't feel sluggish though.

I did like the sound and it was easy to play on--and it was the first time I used it, so adjusting is part of the game with a new head anyway.
I was still able to get some cool tones near the edge, it wasn't as ringy as an Emp, and it was pretty fat sounding when I just played the center with no rimshots.

I give it a thumbs up.

Back