14" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Sound Edge Hi-Hats

bilkay

The Paiste Sound Creation line has become sought after by jazzers (especially the 22" Sound Creation Dark Ride). I was lucky enough to have a Cymbalholic alert me to this set of 14" Sound Creation Dark Sound Edge hats that were for sale at Drummer's World in NYC.

Behold the Prize

Picture028.jpg

!!!!!!!!!!!

Let me put this as tastefully as I can...

I hate you.

Wow. they look nice. Does Paiste still make them?

Wow. they look nice. Does Paiste still make them?

Paiste stopped producing the Sound Creation line some time in the late '80s. Paiste produced the original Sound Creation line, and later, the Sound Creation New Dimensions line. The original Sound Creation line are the most popular among the "Cymbalholic" crowd. Some of the cymbals in the line are sought after, specifically the 22" Dark Ride, the 20" Mellow Ride, and the 14" Dark Hi-Hats. The Dark Sound Edge hats are also popular, but perhaps to a lesser extent than the regular Dark hats. The 22" Dark China is also a collectible cymbal. To put the collectibility in perspective, a 22" Sound Creation Dark Ride typically sells in the $600 - $800 range. The others I mentioned are mostly less expensive, and the New Dimensions models are the least expensive of the bunch.

I had one of the 22" Dark rides but sold it to a friend. I currently own the hats in the picture and a 20" New Dimensions Medium Dark ride.

Congrats Bill.

I use to own a very pair of those myself actually the whole first issue Sound Creation family. Had 22" and 20" Sound Creation Dark Rides and other stuff like a hole bunch of 602's and various 2002's too. All long gone at this point. When I got hooked on Pre-split Istanbuls when they first came out in the early 80's the whole Paiste family went to several good homes. If I had them hidden away and put them up for sale now based on what they are going for in most cases on Ebay the proceeds would definetly pay for a nice long trip to Maui :}

Enjoy the great score of getting these fine hats from the past.

Paiste stopped producing the Sound Creation line some time in the late '80s. Paiste produced the original Sound Creation line, and later, the Sound Creation New Dimensions line. The original Sound Creation line are the most popular among the "Cymbalholic" crowd. Some of the cymbals in the line are sought after, specifically the 22" Dark Ride, the 20" Mellow Ride, and the 14" Dark Hi-Hats. The Dark Sound Edge hats are also popular, but perhaps to a lesser extent than the regular Dark hats. The 22" Dark China is also a collectible cymbal. To put the collectibility in perspective, a 22" Sound Creation Dark Ride typically sells in the $600 - $800 range. The others I mentioned are mostly less expensive, and the New Dimensions models are the least expensive of the bunch.

I had one of the 22" Dark rides but sold it to a friend. I currently own the hats in the picture and a 20" New Dimensions Medium Dark ride.

Thanks for the history lesson.

Hi all,
I´ve got one of those 14" Paiste Sound Creation Dark Sound Edge Hi-Hats and the sound amazing. Unfortunatly, the top cymbal isn´t in a perfect condition and little cracks are there. The bottom Cymbal is very heavy and nearly as new. For my opinion, they sound good as without cracks. But I´m thinking of getting something to replace the top cymbal. Anybody ideas if that is a good idea and is there a chance to find a good fitting top? Or are they something worth, then I would sell them?

I can get a bottom cymbal , Which top cymbal would be a good match?

Todd,do you mean a 602 bottom on a SC bottom? Interesting . I do have a K Con bottom I could try.

Back