Home studio FINALLY finished!

Swexx

Hey guys!

Just wanted to share a quick picture of my fresh home studio / musician's pit in my basement. My Catalinas are in there, of course, along with a few guitar amps, a bass amp and some really cozy lamps. I'm moving my saggy couch in there tomorrow. I don't think I'll ever see the sun again....

Cheers!

Attachments

• IMG_1371.jpg
    IMG_1371.jpg
    910.1 KB · Views: 488
  • IMG_1368.jpg
    IMG_1368.jpg
    955.3 KB · Views: 460
Very nice. Are the accordian walls just to separate the drum room from the rest of the basement (they don't look like they would do much for sound-proofing)?

Very cool......................... 20​

Very nice. Are the accordian walls just to separate the drum room from the rest of the basement (they don't look like they would do much for sound-proofing)?

The accordion look to the walls helps to eliminate standing waves in the room. So when a sound wave hits, it's deflected into another angle and quickly dissipates. If the room were square with flat walls, certain frequencies will ring because they're just bouncing back and forth against flat surfaces. Diffusion in this manner can cut down quite a bit on volume because the room isn't acting like a horn to project the sound in any one direction.

At least, that's what I learned when I took Recording Techniques 101 in community college ;)

Thank you! As Bo says, the walls are to eliminate standing waves in the room. They're beefier than they seem in this photo - in reality they are 10 cm thick (the cloth is stuffed with alien material) and they sound proof the room quite well.

Well, you learn something new every day : )
That's very interesting about the function of the walls but are they necessary since you're in the basement (or did you find you still needed some extra sound-proofing)?

Well, you learn something new every day : )
That's very interesting about the function of the walls but are they necessary since you're in the basement (or did you find you still needed some extra sound-proofing)?

There are three reasons why I have the drapes.
1. I live in a row house, so the soundproofing is needed (I don't wanna disturb my neighbours)
2. There is a lot of echo in the room without the drapes. It's like playing in a church hall. The drapes eliminate a lot of the reverb.
3. They look pretty spiffy (at least that's what I think!)

Back