How to get a 'click' sound from my 22"X18" and 18"X14" bass drums?

Sorry for what. There's attack/click all over his kick in that vid.

There's not "click". I mean yes, there's treble in the attack because so much of Bonham's sound came from the room mics, but it's happening at like 4-6k, whereas I think of clicky bass drums as happening substantially higher than that. Between 7k and 11k, for example.

In the seventies, when drummers took their front heads off and stuffed their drums with the bedroll, they got a more midrange punch sound rather than a sharp click. That really wasn't prevalent until the mid 80's, and even then it was more mid-centric than it is now. Only recently have we started going for the wet plastic sound (which in the interest of full disclosure, I am a big fan of).

To me Attack and click are one in them same.. Depending on what frequencies that are boosted or taken away determines what kind of click you get. You can hear clearly that wet attack Bonham is getting from his beater and head. You can also hear when he's "on it hard" there's more and when he's playing softer there is less.

Of course! It's not like the sample in that Kataklysm song though.... I think we're saying the same thing differently.

Yup I think so. lol And like you i'm a huge fan of a lot of click. Yeah, not the same as the
Kataklysm song. I always loved Vinnie Paul's clicky kick drums! I think he used the quarter method if I can remember, or at least that's what he told a fellow drummer of mine at a show.
I always thought that a quarter with it's raised edges would cut through the head??
Don't know..lol

Sorry to be rough- I think, now having listened, that I get it. The sound is not JUST a click but more of a click over a standard bass drum low note. I think.

Back