Istanbul Agop 24" Special Edition TW Jazz ride 2534g

Steamer

Platinum Member
I posted my initial comment on it in the "Istanbul Agop Picture-Fest" thread. Just wanted to start a seperate thread on this cymbal because it is one very rare bird indeed a 24" SE TW Jazz ride at 2534g deserving of it's own thread. It is one of only a few lightweight 24" SE TW rides produced by Istanbul Agop for the Canadian Agop distributor Heartbeat Percussion over a few years back now. Other 24" SE TW's made and sold elsewhere in North America around the same time {as I researched on the net} were in the 3000-3500g range. Not anything like the few of these rare lightweight versions seen here in Canada.

You can read my comments about finding it and a mini-review on it in the other thread for more detailed information on it's sound and character. The short review here is I love it's sound especially the stick sound as my nearly hands down all time favorite jazz ride.

All I can add it may be the crowning piece of my entire Agop collection and is seriously one amazing sounding ride cymbal for acoustic jazz playing situations indeed.

I'll repost my pictures of it from the other thread:

Attachments

• 24 SE TW Jazz Ride {back} 2534g.jpg
    24 SE TW Jazz Ride {back} 2534g.jpg
    44.1 KB · Views: 2,167
  • 24 SE TW Jazz Ride {front} 2534g.jpg
    24 SE TW Jazz Ride {front} 2534g.jpg
    60.5 KB · Views: 2,605
Last edited:
Overall profile and close up of outer thinned flanged edge of 24" SE TW:

Attachments

• 24 SE TW profile.jpg
    24 SE TW profile.jpg
    28.7 KB · Views: 2,146
  • 24 SE TW edge shot.jpg
    24 SE TW edge shot.jpg
    24.9 KB · Views: 2,141
Last edited:
Straight on image of it's curved profile showing the bell and flanged edge:

Attachments

• 24 SE TW sraight on profile shot.jpg
    24 SE TW sraight on profile shot.jpg
    32.3 KB · Views: 2,222
Last edited:
Wow, that's got to sound like nothing else. Tony was a beast on a 22, I think I'd be afraid to hear him play a 24. Nice new pie.

EDIT: TW does stand for Tony Williams... right?

Wow, that's got to sound like nothing else. Tony was a beast on a 22, I think I'd be afraid to hear him play a 24. Nice new pie.

EDIT: TW does stand for Tony Williams... right?

Thanks youenjoy00myself. It is indeed a beauty and a real original sound wise I will treasure.

Yes TW stands for you know who. You can read up on the original project started up here in Canada a few years back involving a handful of individuals some from the USA. Noel from Heartbeat Percussion was also involved in the team even though not mentioned in this rundown of the project. The 24" models are simply an extension of the design parameters of the post prototype actual production 22" models will still see today coming in from the Agop factory here in Canada. The few ever seen lightweight 24"beauties were a specific request at the time to the Agop factory from Heartbeat Percussion with a few sitting in a storage locker till recently being moved to another location which brought them to my attention during a recent visit.

Here's the read on the project including pictures and sound files of the early prototype samples. Click on "home page" at bottom after reading the article to get to the pictures and sound files of all the other early SE TW cymbals. Sorry no 24's mentioned though. They came later:

http://www.torngat.ca/Cymbales/tw.htm

I remember coming across that link before probably in the process of googling something about Tony Williams. Really interesting, and I think they definitely achieved a noteworthy similarity to Tony's original ride. And what a sound it is. The description and sound clips of the 22 from that link sound beautiful, and I'm sure the 24 is no exception. Now if only I could play like tony...

I remember coming across that link before probably in the process of googling something about Tony Williams. Really interesting, and I think they definitely achieved a noteworthy similarity to Tony's original ride. And what a sound it is. The description and sound clips of the 22 from that link sound beautiful, and I'm sure the 24 is no exception. Now if only I could play like tony...

Good info and a fun read for sure. The 24" model just takes it a step further making it both richer, deeper in pitch and wash but with a stick sound {at least based on this 2534g sample} the likes of which i've never heard on the 22" model SE TW's. That's not to say the 22" models aren't terrific because they certainly are. It's just the deeper pitch combined with it's light weight producing a different quality of stick click with this particular 24" model that i'm hearing.

Yes the artisans at Agop make these great sounding ride cymbals but the hands and touch of Tony Williams don't come along with the package deal youenjoy00myself LOL!

BOAH!

A 24" lightweight TW!!
That`s truly a beautiful cymbal...and surely must sound amazing!
If you don`t mind to answer: How much was this baby?

Another outstanding and stunning Agop. Additionally it`s rare. :)

Karl

Thanks Karl and for sure knowing your taste for Agop lighter weight rides you would love it's beautiful sound.

Look up the price of the 24" Sigs on the CymbalsOnly.com site and you'll see a rough idea what they go for.

It was a unplanned purchase Karl but given the rarity of the circumstances behind finding one of these lightweight 24" SE TW's I had no other choice im sure you'll understand:}

So much for my Summer savings plan....

Wow, a very exotic cymbal.

I know that a lighter cymbal is less bright with shorter sustain, better for jazz. I suspect a larger cymbal has a richer tone and tends to be brighter and have more sustain due to its greater weight. But what happens when you have a large cymbal that's also lightweight? Sounds intriguing.

Wow, a very exotic cymbal.

I know that a lighter cymbal is less bright with shorter sustain, better for jazz. I suspect a larger cymbal has a richer tone and tends to be brighter and have more sustain due to its greater weight. But what happens when you have a large cymbal that's also lightweight? Sounds intriguing.

A darker fundamental pitch and more of a airy but deep in tone wash and spread at a thinner weight in this case combined this with some rather detailed and complex hand hammering and lathing top and bottom which really brought the woody stick click out for sitting on top for this 24" ride. Not an easy feat at this weight with getting a defined stick sound but the cymbal artisans at Agop managed to pull it off. At this thin weight and size the full on crash sound is a wonder to behold to the ears too. Sounds like the roaring sea coming hitting a fine sand beach when full on fired up with a pair of mallets.

Thanks Karl and for sure knowing your taste for Agop lighter weight rides you would love it's beautiful sound.

Look up the price of the 24" Sigs on the CymbalsOnly.com site and you'll see a rough idea what they go for.

It was a unplanned purchase Karl but given the rarity of the circumstances behind finding one of these lightweight 24" SE TW's I had no other choice im sure you'll understand:}

So much for my Summer savings plan....

Yes, I also think that I`d really like its vibe since I really love thin ride cymbals.
Just looked at those 24" Signatures...I get the idea. ;-)

You know Stan, I can understand you so well regarding this and all the other Agop buys you made. This is a rare lighty TW...who could resist there??

PS: Our bassist just takes her flight to Vancouver today...she`s really nervous about living and going to school there for five months.

Karl

Yes, I also think that I`d really like its vibe since I really love thin ride cymbals.
Just looked at those 24" Signatures...I get the idea. ;-)

You know Stan, I can understand you so well regarding this and all the other Agop buys you made. This is a rare lighty TW...who could resist there??

PS: Our bassist just takes her flight to Vancouver today...she`s really nervous about living and going to school there for five months.

Karl

Yes when I laid a stick on it Karl it had to come home with me. Resistance was futile :}

Your friend should really enjoy her stay. Vancouver is a great place except for long stretches of rain from time to time other than that nowhere else in Canada i'd rather live than the West Coast.

Well after getting alot of stand time lately in several situations I can say with great confidence that this is indeed one of Agops best rides for acoustic jazz they have ever produced. It really does have everything going on and the blend with other instruments is perfect and the stick sound is right on the mark. The warm low pitched simmering airy underwash gives it a real bed of energy to play off with a good body of support in a group sound. Paired with my 22" 06 LE ride on the left and my med. weight green label Sig hats makes for lots of color for a small cymbal setup indeed.

I'll put this 24" light SE TW up against any Spizz or old treasured Turkish K etc.. no question about it since it delivers that certain sound that you know when you hear it that fits in perfectly with the qualities desired in the best sounding rides for acoustic jazz in history IMO.

You did real good on this 24" SE TW at 2535g Istanbul Agop and hats of to you on it and thanks to Noel from Heartbeat Percussion for ordering it in at this lighter weight a few years back waiting in storage till now to find a good home. Great ride cymbal!

Nice score. I have a couple of the 24" Agop TWs at around 3500g. I can't figure out which one to cut loose. I've also had 22" TWs at 2248g, 2406g, 2600g, and 2674g. I kept the 2248g and the 2600g but I wish I had the other two back.

Nice score. I have a couple of the 24" Agop TWs at around 3500g. I can't figure out which one to cut loose. I've also had 22" TWs at 2248g, 2406g, 2600g, and 2674g. I kept the 2248g and the 2600g but I wish I had the other two back.

Thanks Bill. It's a real beauty sound wise getting some real good press with my fellow jazz players.

Quite the collection of SE TW's you have there Bill and nice to hear you managed to snag a couple of the heavier 24" models. I'm keeping my 22" lightweight version TW at 2235g. It's a bit higher pitched than the 24" but is in the same zone of character being a stunning sounding ride cymbal in it's own right.

Oh did I forget to mention there was a few more of the lightweight TW 24's hiding away in storage when I picked mine out that sounded pretty sweet too. Somebody Bill {hint} should talk to Noel at Heartbeat Percussion here in Canada :}.

Back