Impossible to find driven musicians that's not already pro?

dazzlez

Seems the biggest problem in most bands is their lack of goals and drive to become pro's.

I've always taken every hobby I do to a professional level with a 4-8 hour daily practice routine and a goal to be able to do it at a professional standard.

I remember myself always being let down in a team situation and now when my drumming is ready to start interacting with other musicians I just realize what I've got myself into... Another team activity that will never reach the top or anywhere close with only me giving 110% of my time and effort. I've never found anyone else in a team with me that's been working as hard as me.

Now with music it seems like a lot of people doesn't even see it as a skill they need to work on every day to perfect.

Any tips on how to find driven people that also practice/work on new material at least 4 hours a day while having a normal day job and more if they don't work/study...

Right now I don't care that much, I'm still in a "getting experience stage". Still taking lessons and just jam and play in bands for the knowledge. When I feel good enough I will seek out to musicians that have nothing else in their life than music but I already dreading it... will probably never find a whole band of dreamers that actually put in the practice to become pro. I guess maybe the best way to do it is to find a already successful band that needs a drummer and just try to be of so high standard that they choose me. Would be more fun to work together up from scratch though.

note: I don't care about making it big time or even be able to pay my bills in the future I realize it's not only hard work but luck/contacts as well. But I do care if the music is not really awesome and great! That's success for me, being one of the tightest bands right now and it's not a impossibility just a matter of finding the right people (crazy, highly intelligent dreamers without a family & stressful job that's willing to sacrifice their lives for the art) well maybe it is impossible to find those people =/

Maybe you can go to some local jams and find some musicians that are on your level of dedication to be driven. I don't know how old you are. If you're not drinking age, there could be jams at a church or civic center nearby.

Any tips on how to find driven people that also practice/work on new material at least 4 hours a day while having a normal day job and more if they don't work/study...

...just a matter of finding the right people (crazy, highly intelligent dreamers without a family & stressful job that's willing to sacrifice their lives for the art) well maybe it is impossible to find those people =/

There are plenty of dedicated, ambitious players out there, but you have to allow each to handle that dedication on their terms. Demanding 4 hours a day simply to demonstrate their drive or ability, is expecting a lot from most people.

All they really need is to be able to play, have a pro attitude, and the desire to work towards success with like-minded players. As soon as you start imposing a 4-hour requirement, you're going to lose a lot of potential brilliant players, as well as attract some overly-fanatic players, which brings its own problems.

Bermuda

Yes. Bermuda +1. when you do a hobby 4 -8 hours a day it is no longer a hobby. Hobbies are what we do in our off time, to break the stress of the every day routine. When you do 8 hours, you have no time for paid work, friends, or family. 4 hour band practice on the week end is a different story.

I don't know how old you are, but if you are over the age of about 25, prepare to be sadly disappointed. By that time most people have shifted their priorities to job, family, etc and the band becomes a hobby that is given only the amount of commitment that can be spared around "real life".

If you in your teen, early 20's you should have no problem finding other dreamers ready to take on the world with their music. You will rarely find those people on their own however. Most of them are already in a band and you will likely need to find a band that is really looking to take their music to the next level. You just need to keep looking and putting feelers out into the local music scene. If you are serious an opportunity will come, you just need to be ready to take advantage of it.

Hi Dazzlez
Fellow musicians are also very interested in other skills...some non musical. ie working with others, attitude, realabilty, transportation, PA system, creativity etc. Also note some folks have more natural ability than others(what take you 4 hous may take some else 10 min's.
I suggest focus on your skills,network,network and network...be helpful to others and prepared for any working opportunity.
You may need to compromise on some level to get to your goal. Have fun!
Denis

I'm going to +1 everyone here. I am a forty-something career educator working 50+ hours a week, finishing up my second degree, and with a family. And when I was young, I was just as hungry and into music as you. But the real world has a way of impinging on people's priorities, you know, bills, that crazy having to eat thing...

For a lot of people who experience said real life on a regular basis, they approach their hobbies as, you know, hobbies. Things they like to do to relax and unwind. At times they may not do them to professional standard (especially music), but they like to do it and it's fun and relaxing.

Then along comes a guy who wants to play only serious music, demanding four hours of practice a day and nothing less than perfection. Your typical hobbyist musician is gonna avoid such a person like the plague.

The good news is, there are such musicians out there, but they are not many, and there's still a generous number of flakes leavened in amongst them. Experience will help you weed those out.

I ran into problems like dazzlez early on in my quest to be a musician. I used to play guitar and sing and front a band and I was having a lot of trouble with getting a decent group together. Whenever it seemed like I finally had suitable musicians, someone would drop out and then I'd spend frantic weeks looking for someone else. A jam where someone comes and tries out and fails is just a wasted day, as far as I was concerned.

Eventually, it dawned on me that no one was as motivated as I was in the band, I'd be booking studios for practice, sharing notes and tablature, networking with everyone to make sure things were going in a mutually agreeable direction, trying to make contacts and sign shows, spending money on studio equipment to put together a demo recording.

And what did I get? A bunch of guys that would show up late, without practicing or not show up at all. I finally blew up one day, threw everybody out of the band and started to work solo.

I bought myself a drumkit, later I bought a bass. It has turned out to be a very enjoyable decision. Playing more than one instrument gives you an understanding of the interaction between different instruments and the spaces each of them fill in music.

Counting on other people to achieve your own goals is just asking for trouble, in my experience. In that sense, while dazzlez should keep looking for like-minded musicians, I'd also suggest looking at another instrument like the guitar to broaden your musical horizons and pursue your own dreams.

Above all else, don't stop moving. Let everyone else waste time. Just not your time \m/

I literally can't think of anyone I know, that would have the time to practice 4-8 hours a day............only prior to "real-life" happening is that even possible

I keep reading experts saying that it's not about the amount of time spent as much as the quality and appropriateness of your exercises in relation to your current skillset.

Seems the biggest problem in most bands is their lack of goals and drive to become pro's.

I've always taken every hobby I do to a professional level with a 4-8 hour daily practice routine and a goal to be able to do it at a professional standard.

I remember myself always being let down in a team situation and now when my drumming is ready to start interacting with other musicians I just realize what I've got myself into... Another team activity that will never reach the top or anywhere close with only me giving 110% of my time and effort. I've never found anyone else in a team with me that's been working as hard as me.

Now with music it seems like a lot of people doesn't even see it as a skill they need to work on every day to perfect.

Right now I don't care that much, I'm still in a "getting experience stage". Still taking lessons and just jam and play in bands for the knowledge. When I feel good enough I will seek out to musicians that have nothing else in their life than music but I already dreading it... will probably never find a whole band of dreamers that actually put in the practice to become pro. I guess maybe the best way to do it is to find a already successful band that needs a drummer and just try to be of so high standard that they choose me. Would be more fun to work together up from scratch though.

note: I don't care about making it big time or even be able to pay my bills in the future I realize it's not only hard work but luck/contacts as well. But I do care if the music is not really awesome and great! That's success for me, being one of the tightest bands right now and it's not a impossibility just a matter of finding the right people (crazy, highly intelligent dreamers without a family & stressful job that's willing to sacrifice their lives for the art) well maybe it is impossible to find those people =/

There's a word for "intellegent dreamers,without a family and a stressful job,that are willing to sacrifice their lives for art,and people not able to pay their bills...........The're called homeless.

You need to eat,you need to sleep somewhere other than a cardboard box..

You need to interact with family and other people,that aren't musicians,besides the police.

Not making it,in a way that allows you to play music and pay the bills,is the opposite of success.

You can teach,play in commercial/cover bands,wedding bands,make some money and still play for the sake of playing in another band,that dosen't make money,but makes art for the sheer joy of it.

Practicing 4-8 hours a day,is no longer a hobby,it's a job.How do you support yourself right now?Do you work at all?

Don't confuse music as art,and not making money at it,as prereq. to success.Pride go before the fall.

There's nothing wrong with setting the bar high as far as honing your abilities,but there's also reality to deal with,and it's right outside your door.

Steve B

Last edited:
There's a word for "intellegent dreamers,without a family and a stressful job,that are willing to sacrifice their lives for art,and people not able to pay their bills...........The're called homeless.

Or as I say in my clinic, suffering for one's art is highly overrated.

Back