USB audio interface & PC requirements

1Rhythmic

Hello guys ,

Could someone describe , approximately , what PC system you need to record with USB audio interface?

For example ,

8 mics - - > Tascam US-1800 (USB 2.0) - - > Cubase LE 5

In order to EQ , compress etc... how strong PC you need?

Currently i'm using
Windows 7 32-bit
CPU - (Inter Core 2CPU 6400@ 2.13 GHz)
RAM - 2gb
Hard Disc - 7200 rpm

Thank you and happy new year!!

Thanks for your reply ,

However i'm still comfused with this. Because Tascam and Cubase give different PC specifications.

For example.
Tascam gives these requirements
CPU - 1.4 GHz or higher
RAM - 512MB

Cubase LE 5 gives these requirements
CPU - 2GHz or higher
RAM - 1GB or higher

On the other hand , i saw someone on other forum , mentioning that recording with USB interface requires strong PC , he also mentioned of 4gb RAM

Who should i trust now?

I'm using a TASCAM US-1641.

I think you need more processor and RAM, at least 2.8 GHz, dual-core and 4GB RAM to run a USB interface. Also, because of the way USB busses work, you're not going to be able to run anything else on that USB card that you run the TASCAM into.

Not trying to scare you away from the TASCAM because I think it's a great interface, I just think it's less frustrating with a little bit better computer.

My old computer (similar specs to yours) could run it, but I'd get dropouts from time-to-time...enough that I went out and bought a new computer, not a new interface.

Realize too that the TASCAM and CUBASE are two different animals...you need so much to run the TASCAM and something else to run the CUBASE (CUBASE requires more computer than the TASCAM, according to specs). I think you need more computer to run either and be satisfied...especially running EQ, compression, etc - those require lots of processor and RAM to function without dropouts...doesn't matter if it's firewire or USB.

Thanks that makes sense.

So , if i go the firewire interface path , would i still need a stronger PC or it would be ok with the current system ?

Firewire interfaces are a little more stable and use less CPU power because they have their own controller chip, rather than relying on the CPU for control. This is why Firewire devices are a little more expensive - those controller chips are expensive! In reality, the difference is fairly small and I've been using a USB interface for years with no issues.

I think your PC is powerful enough, actually. You shouldn't have any problems with the interface and inputting of audio but Cubase itself would probably need a little more power, particularly if you're recording a lot of tracks with plugins.

You should be able to get recordings from the system you have but it wouldn't be a bad idea to upgrade the RAM to 4Gb. That will be the maximum you can utilise according to Microsoft: http://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/lib...=vs.85).aspx#physical_memory_limits_windows_7

Your limiting factors (in order of what I consider to be issues) are:

RAM
CPU
HDD
USB Bandwidth

Firewire would reduce your CPU load by a small degree but I would consider how you're tracking very carefully. Your best bet would be to record the tracks without any processing and then process carefully. Start with mixing your EQ and compression, using busses wherever possible (e.g. for reverb or compression) and then render the tracks, bouncing down combinations where possible. It's not the most modern way of mixing but it does minimise the amount of strain on your system. The real trick is to keep your track count low and use as few plugins as possible.

Yep, 32-bit Windows is maxed at 4GB. Definitely add some RAM.

CUBASE (or Cakewalk, Protools, etc) - are going to need the RAM and processor more than the interface.

I use a laptop for my recording rig:
Windows 7 64-bit
Sonar Producer 8.3
AMD Phenom II dual-core 2.9 GHz
4GB RAM
ATI Radeon with own dedicated RAM
500GB 7200 RPM hard drive
USB devices plugged in: BUS 1: TASCAM US-1641; BUS 2: keyboard, mouse, external HDD.

A Sonar user? You're a rare breed!

If I were on a PC, I'd be using Sonar. I was lucky to get a screaming deal on Logic Pro 8 so I've been running that for a long time.

A Sonar user? You're a rare breed!

If I were on a PC, I'd be using Sonar. I was lucky to get a screaming deal on Logic Pro 8 so I've been running that for a long time.

I really like it, blows away the CUBASE that comes with TASCAM's interfaces. I can't even get CUBASE to register...painful. One of these days I'll go with ProTools when I feel like dropping the money on it...can't justify it unless I get a real deal on it since there's little real difference.

I really like it, blows away the CUBASE that comes with TASCAM's interfaces. I can't even get CUBASE to register...painful. One of these days I'll go with ProTools when I feel like dropping the money on it...can't justify it unless I get a real deal on it since there's little real difference.

I used to use ProTools a lot (up to version 8 I think) and I never ever managed to really get along with it. I've used HD, LE and M-Powered and it's just never done it for me. They've added new things like delay compensation (finally) and the hardware restriction removal but I can't see myself going back to it.

Sonar seems a lot like Logic in the workflow and that's why it would appeal to me much more than Cubase. Cubase is ok but I've never thought much more of it than that and certainly never loved it in the way I love Logic. My version of Logic is showing its age but for what I do I don't need another system. I don't want to be using flex-time or any of that so I can't justify the upgrade and right now I'm not doing much audio work either.

Just to throw something else into the mix. I used to do all my work on an old 2006 iMac. 2.0GHz Core Duo 2, 2GB of RAM, 250GB HDD. I'm posting from that same computer right now (my laptop is elsewhere) and it was a very capable machine until I started playing with convolution!

you'll be ok but loading memory intensive applications will take a big hit...

i just upgraded to an i5 2500k / 8gb kingston / asus p67pro & the thing is rock solid with 40+ tracks (all with their own seperate plugins running including an SD2, multiple waves, melodyne, loads of synths etc).
oh yeah just get reaper. cockos are the best developers by far.

edit: i was using something similar to you previously but with an overclocked Q6600 and the thing was ok, it just burnt out after a few years.

Last edited:
Back