Tommy Lee

LiquidSoul546 said:
Alright, there is your opinion, and may i quote myself.."and TO ME....plays the drums for all the wrong resons." Look if you wanna question my drum education, that's wack, I've been drumming for 7 years, since i was 9, and not just chillin at home playin, i mean taking lessons, studying music theory in grade school and now in highschool. I'm not saying I am an almighty professor, and all i say is right, I'm just saying I don't like his drum style, his life style, or his attitude twoards that matter. So, is it absolutly wrong for me to say that i dont' like tommy? Nope, and tell you the truth, I personally would rather see most of the drummers on this site play a set, than that guy.
peace
ps. How is my statement out of context. What do you see him do during shows? Has a rediculus sized bass drum for show, flips his sticks, and uses sparklers for a solo, I will never put that under the context of a great drummer in my book. He hasn't done a thing to impress me, and probably never will. So that's my opinion...

I didn't question your drum education. I asked you a very simple question. What does he do drum-wise that shows that he is mediocre? I'm asking you a very pin-pointed question. And.......regarding his private life.........the only thing you know about it...is what the media tells you...right? So again.....all I am doing is asking you pin-pointed questions on your opinons.

Maybe this will help to settle this matter...cuz people are starting to think that I am taking this personally. What I am doing is playing the "devils advocate". That means that I am objectively taking a different side to the forum for amusment. While...I do like Tommy Lee and his playing...I'm just simply asking you how does HIS PLAYING sound mediocre....you haven't answered that or any of my questions.

I'm not attacking you Liquid......Im sorry if it comes off that way. I just asked you some pin-pointed questions on your opinon considering where you facts come for your opinons. Having an opinon is wonderful. I am just wondering where it comes from....and playing the "devils advocate" as well. Sorry if I offended you or anyone else.

Also....he does use that huge bass drum! All you have to do is listen to his playing...and its very noticeable...so its not just there for looks.

Mkay, things all cleared up now, the full reason I dislike Mr. Lee's playing is his obviously simple play tactic. The simple 2 4 snare, and 1 n' 3 bass doesn't appeal to me. Sure he may try and get a little more technical ever couple of songs, but that grunge feel he gives off is not my thing. I just hate his technique, and have yet to hear one good grove, to me he sounds like any 80's loving garage band drummer. I just do see what is so amazing about him. I mean it's fin eyou like him and all, but i think it's funny to come on this site, read a dave weckl forum and people bashing him on his "too technical" drum style, but people love this guys simple style. Yes, I know it is a matter of opinion. But just a reminder, this is mine.
peace

LiquidSoul546 said:
Mkay, things all cleared up now, the full reason I dislike Mr. Lee's playing is his obviously simple play tactic. The simple 2 4 snare, and 1 n' 3 bass doesn't appeal to me. Sure he may try and get a little more technical ever couple of songs, but that grunge feel he gives off is not my thing. I just hate his technique, and have yet to hear one good grove, to me he sounds like any 80's loving garage band drummer. I just do see what is so amazing about him. I mean it's fin eyou like him and all, but i think it's funny to come on this site, read a dave weckl forum and people bashing him on his "too technical" drum style, but people love this guys simple style. Yes, I know it is a matter of opinion. But just a reminder, this is mine.
peace

Thankyou! Yes...I do agree that he can be very simple. He plays what fits Motley Crue's sound and doesn't stray or dominate the songs. He sticks to the sound.

When he plays solo of Motley Crue or he plays in his basement.....there is a completely different side to his playing which most people never get a chance to hear...unless they search it out. Drums are not his only thing which I'm sure you know....and he hasn't dedicated his life to them. He has been all over the place.........as a guitarist/vocalist, writer/author, let alone trying to maintain his crazy personal life....which is where most people it seems begin thier thier criticizm of him.

I do agree that the stuff that he plays with the Crue is not very technical, but... he is very good at it. Playing for as long as you have...you have to admit.......that these days, alot of the younger generation is in-capable of holding a simple 4/4 for 3 minutes without a fill or some fancy tactic. And, if you don't agree..ok. He is a drummer that grew up in the 60's and thats where his influences are attained.

Thanks for your views Liquid.

you guys have to stop being so critical. sure productive critisizm but theres no need to bag him. he's the guy with the fans. he's the guy that influences a huge amount of todays drummers. he's famous for a reason. u dont have play complicated to be a good drummer. he plays a similar role to Ringo Star. he pionered that style and took a new level of showmanship to the stage. after all....... good musicians dont bag other musicians. if he's not ur thing well so be it but whats bagging him going to acheive?

Give Tommy a Beark sure he wasnt the best and aint the best but how many o the Tommy Haters can say they made millions of $$$ , got so much women , lived a great ife and had fun for so long touring etc doing something he liked playin music so y dont yal give him a break and realise you may be a better drummer then him but he got so much more outta playin drums then most people do!!!!

DrumGod said:
DR FEEL GOOD!!!! Great Groove!!!!!!!!

yeah, it is! Tommy influenced an entire GENERATION of drummers. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and say he's not good or whatever, but he's a "main cat" no matter how you slice it.

The fact is, how one feels about Tommy is irrelevant, when someone mentions motley crue the first name that pops is Tommy Lee. Motley crue had a great moment in the sun and will be remembered for ever. I remember listening in the '80's crue was cool and Tommy's rotating solo was a major event for metal heads. Tommy deserves big credit for influence alone!

billy ward said:
yeah, it is! Tommy influenced an entire GENERATION of drummers. It's easy to sit on the sidelines and say he's not good or whatever, but he's a "main cat" no matter how you slice it.
Well, yeah, I most definatly respect that Billy, but I mean, that doesn't make him a good drummer. I mean i got kids at my school that were inspired to pick up a pair of sticks due to the fact of seeing some guy hittin his drums as hard as he could. I mean rich and fame good for him, but that doesn't make him any more talented.
peace
ps. Mucho respecto on your videos on this site, if I weren't and unemployed 16 year old i'd buy your dvd.

LiquidSoul546 said:
Well, yeah, I most definatly respect that Billy, but I mean, that doesn't make him a good drummer. I mean i got kids at my school that were inspired to pick up a pair of sticks due to the fact of seeing some guy hittin his drums as hard as he could. I mean rich and fame good for him, but that doesn't make him any more talented.
peace
ps. Mucho respecto on your videos on this site, if I weren't and unemployed 16 year old i'd buy your dvd.

If u ask me, tommy is one of the best drummers ever, he`s got the same swing feel to his playing as john bonham had, and the things he came up with on the early stuff just amaze me. Yes, he´s the reason i picked up the sticks, after i´d bought my first record, shout at the devil , and couldn`t understand how he did those nice little breaks the record i s full of.
still today , after playing for 20 years he´s one of my maine influences.

brocke66 said:
Can you do this?? Dont think so!!
Haha, thanks for the laugh brocke, it just proves my point even more.... Just a showmanship drummer. So what he can hang upside down and play drums, i bte both of us could too. But i can understand what your tryin to say.
Peace

More to the point he came up with the idea and did it first. He made it even more exciting to the crowed and the world, he's really the main man of motley crue and hes the drummer! (not the leed singer) just proves to us all we dont have to be the insignificant guy up the back. As drummers we need to entertain. Most drummers dont relize that live enertianing is about 50% of our job! WE HAVE TO ENTERTAIN! Tommy does that and the crowed love him for it. Hes style of music requiers that and he is pionering that area of drumming. Wheres the respect. Bet ud like to trow ur sticks 5 stories high and catch it again whist playing! And u must keep in mind its not what you can play, its how you play it. Thats why he's there and were not.

DogBreath said:
Tommy Lee came up with the idea first? So I guess this is Buddy Rich ripping him off.

Hahahaha.......I like when someone comes up with factual material.

Actually..........Mick Mars (Motley Crue's Guitarist) was in a band back in the day where the drummer was on a platform and it was tilted upside down. I wish I could remember the name of the band that he was in. There is video of it on the net and its pretty crazy........cuz it looks like the kit is about to collapse any second.

jumping joe said:
More to the point he came up with the idea and did it first. He made it even more exciting to the crowed and the world, he's really the main man of motley crue and hes the drummer! (not the leed singer) just proves to us all we dont have to be the insignificant guy up the back. As drummers we need to entertain. Most drummers dont relize that live enertianing is about 50% of our job! WE HAVE TO ENTERTAIN! Tommy does that and the crowed love him for it. Hes style of music requiers that and he is pionering that area of drumming. Wheres the respect. Bet ud like to trow ur sticks 5 stories high and catch it again whist playing! And u must keep in mind its not what you can play, its how you play it. Thats why he's there and were not.
Very true Joe, but I just feel i shouldn't have to do that kind of stuff, i thought when people came to one of my gigs, the music was entertainment enough. I can understand getting into the music which happens when you play. If they wanted a show, they should have went to a play or something. That's why I am not a big fan of this genre of music, nor this drummer. But that's just my opinion, and i should stop posting haha, cause i prolly made my point across amillion times now.
peace

sorry i mean the showmanship and the image he set to the world. i agree hes not the best drummer in what he plays but he did things differently. and when the name motley crue comes up the name most people think of first is tommy lee. sorry didnt mean to offend anyone.

Man i ont get it. I grew up listening to Tommy Lee and he is a great drummer. maybe some of you guys dontlike him but that is no reason to hate him or diss him. no drummer should diss any other drummer that is a rule. we should all help eachother. I met tommy lee in toronto and he was the coolest guy if you listen to his new albums like "Never A Dull Moment" or "Tommy Land' hes got some good fills and beats in the cd. And there is not alot of drummers who can come back and play the guitar and sing like he does. i think he is an amazing drummer and song writer but if you guys dont think so please keep it to yourself.
Every person who plays drums and has a passion for it, is great drummer in my eyes.
Thanks

rockstar69 said:
Every person who plays drums and has a passion for it, is great drummer in my eyes.

true, very true.

and good musicians dont bag other good musicians. we all have different knowledge as this thread points out. no one can agree on much. were all different. were all here because we like drumming and have a passion for it.

Back