Ludwig Bass Hoops

RodneyZepa

I've got a 24" Ludwig Classic Maple kit and the bass hoops came in black with the glass silver inlay...However, I really like the color of the natural maple hoop...Is it advisable to have the hoops refinished or stripped of the black paint and relacquered or would I be axeing for trouble ? Or, Would Ludwig be able to supply these for me at reasonable rate ? If so, do I contact Ludwig directly ? Any advise appreciated and I am in Canada if that makes any difference...Thanks...

Why get them from Ludwig? It's just a standard maple hoop that you require, correct? I think a place like Precision Drum sells maple hoops in various sizes. Check them out online.

I agree with samdrum, just go with aftermarket blond maple hoops. I don't remember how much they are, but they're pre-finished standard color, off-the-shelf, and reasonably priced. I have a pair of them on my black-stained 24" kick. Classic look. Very cool.

Ludwig's hoops are actually very reasonably priced.

Unless you are doing the finishing yourself, it's not that much difference in price, and it's less hassle.

You can order them through a Ludwig dealer. They do inlays, so you could get the inlay to match your finish if you wanted (if it's a wrap).

I've gotten a few pair of hoops from Ludwig and mine all came in perfect (in fit and finish).

I agree. Get your hoops from Ludwig. Besides, as in the past, Ludwig has always made their bass drum hoops slightly wider than everyone else, which is why Ludwig's have that look to begin with. It shouldn't be so hard to find an authorized Ludwig dealer and special-order a pair.

Thank you for the leads...I will check out both sources...A pair of blonde hoops would look awesome on my kick drum...Hmmm, sounds kinda kinky...All the Best gentlemen...

For hoops for my 26" kick, each hoop was going to be 106 bucks. I don't know what they'd charge for the 24", but That was about double what a hoop of the same size was going to be from Precision. Of course, I'd have to finish the one from Precision myself. Just throwing that out there.

Personally, I'd consider keeping the original hoops intact just for the sake of the originality and resale of the kit.

For hoops for my 26" kick, each hoop was going to be 106 bucks. I don't know what they'd charge for the 24", but That was about double what a hoop of the same size was going to be from Precision. Of course, I'd have to finish the one from Precision myself. Just throwing that out there.

$106 each?? Holy cow!! I got my sets for about $120-130 for the set.
I can't remember exactly, but it was under $160 for sure.

Where do you live? Is that because of your region?

Personally, I'd consider keeping the original hoops intact just for the sake of the originality and resale of the kit.

My original hoops aren"t going anywhere...They stay with kit although if and when I get blonde hoops, originals will be safely stored...The original hoops are very nice as well as they do have the Silver Glass Glitter inlay in black hoop...Precision has 1 1/2 " hoops at $37 per hoop (No Inlay) (24")...I wouldn"t mind no inlay but i will being contacting Ludwig distributor in my area to get a price of hoop with inlay...Although if I'm not mistaken, Ludwig does not have the Silver Glass Glitter wrap on there list anymore (Ludwig website)...The SGG does not look Silver, looks almost like champagne - pewter sorta tone to it...I was very surprised when I got my kit but fortunately enough I really liked this wrap...Not even close to silver...light gold maybe...I am visiting my son in Northern Michigan, so, if I time it right I will have hoops delivered to his place and I will pick up...Already have a vintage Acrolite there that I got off E-Bay from New Jersey...Detroit about 6 - 8 hours away which too bad as I'm sure some very good drum shops in Motor City...All this BS (From me) over hoops...Thanks for the patience...

Ooohhh...maple hoops with glass glitter inlay...oh my!

Precision can do an inlay, no problem.
They do a GREAT job also. They are very fair with the pricing, and are really nice too.

The Ludwig route seems a bit steep in price.

Where in Northern Michigan? We used to spend summers on Black Lake near Onaway/Cheboygan. I have relatives that live around that area too. Unless you are talking the U.P.

Ooohhh...maple hoops with glass glitter inlay...oh my!

Precision can do an inlay, no problem.
They do a GREAT job also. They are very fair with the pricing, and are really nice too.

The Ludwig route seems a bit steep in price.

Where in Northern Michigan? We used to spend summers on Black Lake near Onaway/Cheboygan. I have relatives that live around that area too. Unless you are talking the U.P.

My son is in the U.P....Played WCHA Div. 1 hockey there for 4 years on scholarship...Driving down there (3,000 Kilometre 1 way) in couple weeks although might be passing through Duluth, MN which could have good shops...Have to check online...Thanks Karl...

$106 each?? Holy cow!! I got my sets for about $120-130 for the set.
I can't remember exactly, but it was under $160 for sure.

Where do you live? Is that because of your region?

Was this from Ludwig? I asked a reputable online dealer (who normally has good prices for everything) what the cost would be for a natural 26" bass hoop with a champagne sparkle inlay. He gave me the $106 figure. From Precision, I could get TWO natural 26" hoops, with a groove for the inlay, and the inlay strips, for like $110 or so. I might try another source just to see though. I live in WV, but I can't see that being the reason the hoops would be so expensive.

Yes, my hoops came from Ludwig.

I found my bill for some Red Sparkle inlay hoops I got in late 06 and they were $145 for A PAIR.
I have gotten 3 other sets of 26" hoops since then, and they were all around that, and I KNOW I didn't pay more than $150 for a pair. I bought the last set in very late '09 or very early 2010--before they discontinued Arctic Glitter.

Back