Drummerworld forum exclusive --- Announcement---

Business is keeping well, moving up and forward. Andy - good team work...Congratulations!

Shame you don't do hardware too, I'm sure you could flog him a custom bent hat stand while you're at it (don't worry mate, you won't be the only one left scratching your head at that one either.....but Joe will understand my stupidity). :)

The joke is I did a thread on here about bending your hi-hat stand. Pocket I fell off my chair laughing when I saw this. It seems when I did that thread I was the only drummer that bent his hat stand toward him a little bit. Just check the thread if your interested but Pocket I want to thank you for my best laugh of the day. I hope to meet you someday.

Joe

Congrats on the deal.

So when I see Joe at NAMM in January, will he be wearing a Guru t-shirt?
Do I tell on him if he's spotted at the Ludwig booth again? :p
(the last part is a joke, referencing at least two different threads).

Hey everybody. First of all let me say WHOW!! Thanks so much for all the kind comments. That was really nice and much appreciated. Bermuda would be correct I have not put my name with a drum for many years. I stopped endorsing drum companies for a lot of different reasons but that's a whole thread by itself. It's funny John and I have had discussions about this exact thing so he would know for sure how I feel about all this.

I can honestly say I have never endorsed equipment that I didn't like. I never had the attitude I want free stuff. I wanted quality drums that moved me when I played them. Drums that made me play better and basically made me happy if that makes sense. When I endorse something I like to feel like I am a part of something and in this business believe me it's very hard to find. Well I have found that with Andy, Dean and Guru.

The Drum: Did you hear that thang!! Thats a dry board mix and its killing it. The drum sounds great. The craft that went into it is truly amazing. Just take a look at the picture the snare drum sounds good when you look at it. LOL. Seriously it is with no question the most beautiful drum and craftmanship I have ever seen. (and trust me I have seen a lot of drums) It feels great to play and the wood hoops give the drum a special feel. I have never had a drum with shell response like this one. It's amazing. The cross stick is the best I ever heard. Hands down, I can't even explain how great the cross stick is. The drum will crack for you when you rimshot it. If you hit it dead in the middle with no rim it gives you a depth that sounds like a 7" snare drum. It has so many sound qualities in one drum. I can tune it down, I can make it loose, I can crank it up and it always sounds great. The engineers in the studio and thanks to Andy's advise have to put the bottom snare mike a bit farther away than traditional snare drums because the shell resonates so much. The proof is in the pudding baby. I had the drum for about a month now and its been on about 20 sessions. Now when I show up to record the first thing the engineer asks me is "hey joe did you bring that snare" or yesterday it was "you have it with you right?' and I knew he was talking about the snare.

All I have to say is it's nice to work with people who ask this question: "What sound are you looking for?. " That's what I'm talking about. I told Andy the size snare and what I wanted. I wanted a snare drum that was 4x13 that cracked but also had some body in it and some bottom to it. When you combine the depth by hitting it in the middle for the bottom and cracking it at the same time the tone is perfect. So I asked for something and I received much much more. The look forward to the future and all I can say is thanks to everyone for your support and kind words and thanks to Andy, Dean and Guru for making drums with some heart in them.

I wanted quality drums that moved me when I played them. Drums that made me play better and basically made me happy if that makes sense.

Actually I can kind of relate Joe. I haven't had the pleasure of trying multiple drum company's but the feeling I had when taking off the stock heads on this PDP X7 kit and putting on brand new, quality Remo heads shed new light onto just how great of a kit I actually bought myself. I literally couldn't stop playing to finish up after giving them a test. My "creativity" skyrocketed, my comfort level felt like I did 11 years ago and just couldn't step away. So in a way I understand and I'm sure many others do as well.

Anyway, congrats to the both of you and good luck with your partnership!

Good choice Andy. Joe's a super tasty player. Joe, I'll laways remember Chameleon in 7 : )

way to go, guys.

Good choice Andy. Joe's a super tasty player. Joe, I'll laways remember Chameleon in 7 : )

way to go, guys..
Thanks Abe, & yes, Chameleon in 7 is a beast of a track.

When I endorse something I like to feel like I am a part of something and in this business believe me it's very hard to find. Well I have found that with Andy, Dean and Guru.
& the feeling is mutual Joe. As in everything in life, working as a team to get a result is always the way to go.

All I have to say is it's nice to work with people who ask this question: "What sound are you looking for?. " That's what I'm talking about.
So I asked for something and I received much much more.
It's the fundamental starting point for any discussion about specifying a drum.

I had the drum for about a month now and its been on about 20 sessions. Now when I show up to record the first thing the engineer asks me is "hey joe did you bring that snare" or yesterday it was "you have it with you right?' and I knew he was talking about the snare.
That's great to hear :) Those guys have the ears to know what the mic's like & what they don't.

Seriously it is with no question the most beautiful drum and craftmanship I have ever seen. (and trust me I have seen a lot of drums) It feels great to play and the wood hoops give the drum a special feel. I have never had a drum with shell response like this one. It's amazing. The cross stick is the best I ever heard. Hands down, I can't even explain how great the cross stick is. The drum will crack for you when you rimshot it. If you hit it dead in the middle with no rim it gives you a depth that sounds like a 7" snare drum. It has so many sound qualities in one drum. I can tune it down, I can make it loose, I can crank it up and it always sounds great.
Great writeup Joe, & so gratifying to hear the drum delivers above it brief :)

The engineers in the studio and thanks to Andy's advise have to put the bottom snare mike a bit farther away than traditional snare drums because the shell resonates so much.
Good to hear that worked out Joe :) Most engineers aren't used to working with so much shell tone. Their initial reaction is that there's some form of tone creeping into the capture, mainly because the mic's are aimed at the heads. The drum just needs a bit of space to allow all the tones to resolve into a single voice, & that's where the body comes from.

thanks to Andy, Dean and Guru for making drums with some heart in them.
That's such a great thing to hear, & makes the effort we put into them worthwhile.

way to go, guys.

Thanks much aydee, you know what's funny. Now if I'm playing a gig and some one calls Chameleon of course they play it in 4. Kind of throws me, LOL. I actually have to think about it before I kick it off. I just laugh and pray I don't start playing in 7.

Thanks much aydee, you know what's funny. Now if I'm playing a gig and some one calls Chameleon of course they play it in 4. Kind of throws me, LOL. I actually have to think about it before I kick it off. I just laugh and pray I don't start playing in 7.
Yes, that's a brain screw right there. I love the vibe of 7. Luckily, it's so distinctively different to 4, but I'd imagine memories of fills in 7 would creep in if you're not very careful. Nothing that a double crash on the exit cant fix ;)

Back