Cheap materials to reduce sound in my drum room

bam

I have a drum room in the basement in an unfinished room. Alot of of noise gets out, so what are some cheap or just very useful material to reduce the sound. I heard of egg cartons, carpet, roof rolling. What are some stuff I can get at a hardware store?

Welcome to the forum bam. are you aiming at dampening the echo in the room or just sound isolating. The proper sound isolating foam that you see some studios use is a bit expensive so yes, there are cheaper fixes. I've seen egg cartons used but getting them in enough volume to cover four walls is a problem. I'm wondering if the foam that people use on beds on top of the mattress would work and be a cheap fix?

If you have a buddy that works in a grocery store, it's a pretty easy fix.

You could use egg cartons, but your chances are probably better to get some of the thick paper-mache type separators that come in large boxes of apples. they are about 2 feet by 1 foot, and theres probably about 5 per box that gets worked, and grocery stores get alot of apples.

If you live somewhere near a trader joe's (where i work) the management and employees would probably be kind enough to set some aside for you if asked. Apples get worked in the morning, so you'd need to let the store know in the morning. Collect them daily for a week and you'll be set, they let me keep all the ones I worked for my room.

carpet screwed to the walls or hanging from the ceiling is a cheap alternative. of course you'll want it on the floor too. used carpet or carpet remnants are free or practically free. that's what we have in my band's practice space. it adds that "touch of class" too!

Back