MICS FOR MY DRUM KIT

oBIGxREDo

So I'm going be purchasing mics for my drum kit for the first time..
I have no clue what I need to get so help me out!!
Let me know the info you need!!

God bless!

-Jeff

Im not so strong in this field but I'll you in on what I know.

Your not going to just want Mics to record.

To capture drums througn mics you need the following.

A Computer/Laptop to capture the audio.
Mics (Ofcourse)
You will most likely need a mixer depending on how many mics you want.
The correct wires to hook everything up
And possibly software to tweak the recorded sound.

First off a PC/Laptop will work fine for the job

I would get something fairly high quality as a first set of mics but nothing thats complete garbage. I would take a look at Audix or Sure for this, however your better off getting advice off others for mics! To get a quality sound with only 4 Mics I would suggest 2 Overhead {Condenser Microphones}, these would be to capture cymbals and toms if you choose. And micropohnes for your Bass Drum and Snare {Dyanmic Microphones}.
We use Condenser Microphones as they have a polar pattern and we raise them fairly high way above the cymbals to capture sounds going around the area. These are great for capturing all of a drum kits sound, however most people are not happy about the volume or sound coming from the kick or snare so this is why we use Dynamic mics. They are made to be non directional so it will pick up what you point at it.
However if you like your toms to be be powerful then capturing them with overheads isnt really an option. You will either want to split 2 toms per 1 mic by placing it in the middle or just buy individual mics.
Snare/Tom Mics are the same.
The Kick drum mic and the Overheads are a whole diferent thing.

If you have anything more then 4 Mics being used I would HIGHLY reccomend a mixer. A mixer will let you plug in all your mics with ease into a PC/Laptop and will let you individually change each channel on the mixer before it is sent to your Computer. (Panning, levels etc.) Also most mixers come with Phantom Power to power condenser mics which is an absolute must.
However thier are a few types of mixers. Thier are the analogue mixers, they are older but they are in no way inferior. You basically plug in the mixer into a mic input on your computer and this puts all the seperate channels together, this is usually not an issue as mixing can be done on the mixer. The next is a USB mixer, its more versatile then an analogue as it will let you individually change all the channels on the computer however USB is alot slower. Firewire is a newer alternative to both as it can use the versatility of a USB and with similar results to an analogue without sacrificing speed or precision.
Thier are ALOT of mixers to choose from so do your research and get advice off one of the helpful people on this forum :D

Wires are nothing special, but you need to ensure they are of decent quality (The best being Gold Plated or Oxygenated Copper bla bla), for example an analogue needs a RCA to 3.5mm jack or a double Jack to 3.5mm etc.

Software is defintily a must when it comes to music recording/reproductio. A free software is Audacity, its simple to use. Just hit record and youve got sound. However softwares such as Logic Pro, Adobe Audition, Cubase etc are definitly alot superior. If you dont mind a bit of illegal downloading like myself go nuts!

Hope this helps and PLEASE anyone correct me as Im still learning all the details about audio and please be gentle this was a ***** to type! :D

Im not so strong in this field but I'll you in on what I know.

Your not going to just want Mics to record.

To capture drums througn mics you need the following.

A Computer/Laptop to capture the audio.
Mics (Ofcourse)
You will most likely need a mixer depending on how many mics you want.
The correct wires to hook everything up
And possibly software to tweak the recorded sound.

First off a PC/Laptop will work fine for the job

I would get something fairly high quality as a first set of mics but nothing thats complete garbage. I would take a look at Audix or Sure for this, however your better off getting advice off others for mics! To get a quality sound with only 4 Mics I would suggest 2 Overhead {Condenser Microphones}, these would be to capture cymbals and toms if you choose. And micropohnes for your Bass Drum and Snare {Dyanmic Microphones}.
We use Condenser Microphones as they have a polar pattern and we raise them fairly high way above the cymbals to capture sounds going around the area. These are great for capturing all of a drum kits sound, however most people are not happy about the volume or sound coming from the kick or snare so this is why we use Dynamic mics. They are made to be non directional so it will pick up what you point at it.
However if you like your toms to be be powerful then capturing them with overheads isnt really an option. You will either want to split 2 toms per 1 mic by placing it in the middle or just buy individual mics.
Snare/Tom Mics are the same.
The Kick drum mic and the Overheads are a whole diferent thing.

If you have anything more then 4 Mics being used I would HIGHLY reccomend a mixer. A mixer will let you plug in all your mics with ease into a PC/Laptop and will let you individually change each channel on the mixer before it is sent to your Computer. (Panning, levels etc.) Also most mixers come with Phantom Power to power condenser mics which is an absolute must.
However thier are a few types of mixers. Thier are the analogue mixers, they are older but they are in no way inferior. You basically plug in the mixer into a mic input on your computer and this puts all the seperate channels together, this is usually not an issue as mixing can be done on the mixer. The next is a USB mixer, its more versatile then an analogue as it will let you individually change all the channels on the computer however USB is alot slower. Firewire is a newer alternative to both as it can use the versatility of a USB and with similar results to an analogue without sacrificing speed or precision.
Thier are ALOT of mixers to choose from so do your research and get advice off one of the helpful people on this forum :D

Wires are nothing special, but you need to ensure they are of decent quality (The best being Gold Plated or Oxygenated Copper bla bla), for example an analogue needs a RCA to 3.5mm jack or a double Jack to 3.5mm etc.

Software is defintily a must when it comes to music recording/reproductio. A free software is Audacity, its simple to use. Just hit record and youve got sound. However softwares such as Logic Pro, Adobe Audition, Cubase etc are definitly alot superior. If you dont mind a bit of illegal downloading like myself go nuts!

Hope this helps and PLEASE anyone correct me as Im still learning all the details about audio and please be gentle this was a ***** to type! :D

Haha I bet it was a "B" to type!
Thanks!

It's not really for recording just yet more like plugging me into a PA system to jam more and live shows.

Back