Keplinger-ish

Waffe

Guys!

I'm really a big fan of Gregg Keplinger stainless steel drums, but due to them being very heavy, the shipping price to my country is ridiculous.

Are there any drum companies who can build similar (heavy stainless steel) drum in Europe?

Thanks for your input.

The UK company Arbiter made some really heavy steel snares. DW also made some very heavy metal snares a few years back.

Are you only talking about the Ayotte models or have you contacted Gregg for a drum? I think he does ship worldwide.

The UK company Arbiter made some really heavy steel snares. DW also made some very heavy metal snares a few years back.

Are you only talking about the Ayotte models or have you contacted Gregg for a drum? I think he does ship worldwide.

Yeah, I've talked to Gregg and if there will be nothing similar in Europe, I'll definitely go for his snare drum.

OK, that's what I've recently found: http://www.chequerplatedrums.com/newsnaresstain.php

Have anybody played/heard/owned one?

Last edited by a moderator:
I've not heard the Chequerplate snare, but it looks nice... and SPENDY!

Gregg would know if someone was offering a competitive product. I'm lucky enough to live in Seattle and own one Kep (6x14 black iron) and have played MANY more. Nothing else barks like his drums and I have no idea how they are so sensitive, but they are. My Keplinger is my go-to snare in the studio. I find the steels to be a bit sharp for smaller rooms, which is why I went with the black iron, which I think is just a raw, very low nickel steel, not really iron. I'd encourage you to hold out for a Kep, but that's just me. I love the guy and the drums are incredible.

Where the Arbiter is concerned, I THINK I played it at Tom's Drum Store on Denmark Street in London. He wanted something like GBP 250 for it, which I thought was a good price. I came back to buy it the next day and he told me it had been in the shop for six months and the guy to walk in after me scooped it up. It was thick and heavy as hell and they are quite rare. Additionally you will have to deal with the, ehem, quirky tensioning system Arbiter used. It had similar tone to a Kep if I remember correctly, but since that shop is smaller than my closet and there were two other customers there, I couldn't really lay into it.

Best of luck. For your price point, you should be thrilled with whatever you decide to get.

Gregg is the best! I'd say to go with a Keplinger - his snares have a long history that no other boutique drums have... Mine is my go-to - I went for the typical stainless steel - whatever you go for, they're great. Like Ian said, they have incredible sensitivity, even when you drop the batter head tension down low. And no matter what the tension, the drums always sound fat.

There's nothing quite like a Keplinger. They're on my short list of dream snares and if you want that sound, just get the real deal. That being said, although Gregg is a very nice guy to deal with, consider eBay if you want to save money and shipping. You can snag used Keplingers for as low as $500.

Kep will be the obvious decision for US buddies (and I really appreciate that input), but 200$ for shipping...

I don't know yet. May that 200 worth the expectation.

OK, here's another thought for the heavy snare - what do you think about DW Edge? Do you prefer over the Kep?

mixed thoughts on the Edge. Having never owned one, I can't offer much of an answer, but in short, it's not a Keplinger. Still, I've heard some interesting things, I'd check one out if I were you. It'd probably be easier to find one in a music store near you than a Keplinger.

Last edited:
I had a 6x13 Edge Craviatto. It was a great drum but a touch on the harsh side for me. I sold it. To each their own.

A Kep is a totally different animal.

Guys!

I'm really a big fan of Gregg Keplinger stainless steel drums, but due to them being very heavy, the shipping price to my country is ridiculous.

Are there any drum companies who can build similar (heavy stainless steel) drum in Europe?

Thanks for your input.

Echo Custom drums, based in the UK, will make you drums in a variety of metals, some up to 2.5mm.. They've had extremely good reviews so far.

Their website is www.echocustomdrums.com .

Back