Roland Sample Library Expansion

Aaron Z

Howdy, everyone!

Just a few months back I picked up my first kit, a Roland TD-4, but have noticed that out of the module's 25 different kits, I only ever use one of them as not a single other one sounds any good (just might have to do with my headphones, but I doubt it).

The kit's sound bank is very limited, which makes it hard to fit in when playing along to music, so I was wondering if there was any way to add new samples to the drums by any means? Preferably this would require only a very simple MIDI setup or no MIDI use at all. Perhaps the drum brain can be expanded upon or swapped for a better one?

Thanks for your time.

I don't think you'll find any Roland product that gives any more internal sound possibilities.

From the Roland history I know of, the only types of V-drum expansion that's been done has been the most recent top end series (TD-20) via a sound card to take it to the newer hardware's capabilities (TD-20sx?) although I'm not 100% on that fact.

The best thing you could do is to get another sound source (brain) to trigger via MIDI. That's a simple MIDI out procedure. I'm not an expert on this unit but I don't think the pads can be connected directly to another brain. MIDI is the only option I see.

The TD series never has had much sound upgrade capability. Your best bet in the Roland line of percussion controllers at that is the SPD-S which can use any sound you can sample.

However. the V-Drum technology that has to do with rim shots and zones and such won't translate completely to MIDI.

That's the best info I have.

HTH

Jim

Thanks very much for the reply! I'll take a look around for drum brains very soon.

Back