Wow. First Zildjian K

rustynuts

I've tried a few Zildjian Ks in shops before but came across a deal this morning that I just couldn't turn down. A guy from work had "a Ziljin cymbal for cheap-cheap", leftover from an ex-roommate that had skipped out on the rent. Long story short, fifty bucks for this 16" K Dark Medium Thin crash, plus a nice Ludwig stand for it.

Got it home and fell in love with it. Best sounding cymbal I own.

Attachments

• 2015-01-13 14.28.56.jpg
    2015-01-13 14.28.56.jpg
    619.7 KB · Views: 604
I have the Dark Medium Thin 18" also and it's my favorite crash.

I'm calling 911 because there has been a robbery. LOL!

Honestly, grab those deals when you can. That's a lovely crash.

I own the Zildjian 19" Dark Thin Crash and it's gorgeous.

Congrats!

Jim

Sweet deal! I have an 18" K Dark Thin crash, and although it's a bit too shimmery/thin sounding for my tastes, it's still a damn fine cymbal.

Nice score! I have a 18" K Dark Thin and love it. Love that you got it for only 50 bucks, and including a stand!
Maybe you will find a $100 bill in an old pair of jeans later, it sounds like your luck is in, LOL

Enjoy it.

I have a 17" K Dark Medium thin crash but it's one of those rare Ks that was made with a brilliant finish. Not sure how old it is but I like it.

$50!! Nice deal. That's almost as good as my Ludwig Supraphonic 5.5x14 I picked up used for SIXTY FREAKIN' DOLLARS last year. I know how you feel about almost feeling bad. When I checked out the snare and realized it was a supra I felt obligated so I asked the seller....one time...."Is this a supraphonic?" He said no, it's just a nice student snare with 10 lugs. I was only going to ask it once.

Enjoy your cymbal.

That's almost as good as my Ludwig Supraphonic 5.5x14 I picked up used for SIXTY FREAKIN' DOLLARS last year. I know how you feel about almost feeling bad. When I checked out the snare and realized it was a supra I felt obligated so I asked the seller....one time...."Is this a supraphonic?" He said no, it's just a nice student snare with 10 lugs. I was only going to ask it once.

I have a 402 that's the same, 10 bowtie lugs circa 1984 when they left the Chicago factory and used up all their parts. £100 thankyou very much.

Picked up a 20" Paiste Rude China for £70 from a pawn shop in mint condition, it was on some crappy Pearl Export set with cheap cymbals, made him the offer, agreed it then he looked in the Paiste catalogue after I agreed the price.....unlucky!

Back on topic, moved to Ks a few months back have a 19" Dark Thin Crash/21" Crash Ride they're amazing! Used to have a 17" K china years back until it broke :(

Oh boy - now you're hooked - LOL

It'll probably be the first of many.

Yeah, I think you're probably right. Had it a few days now and I am liking it better all the time.

I have a 17" K Dark Medium thin crash but it's one of those rare Ks that was made with a brilliant finish. Not sure how old it is but I like it.

$50!! Nice deal. That's almost as good as my Ludwig Supraphonic 5.5x14 I picked up used for SIXTY FREAKIN' DOLLARS last year. I know how you feel about almost feeling bad. When I checked out the snare and realized it was a supra I felt obligated so I asked the seller....one time...."Is this a supraphonic?" He said no, it's just a nice student snare with 10 lugs. I was only going to ask it once.

Enjoy your cymbal.

Sixty? I paid a fair bit more than that for mine but don't regret it at all.

Back on topic, moved to Ks a few months back have a 19" Dark Thin Crash/21" Crash Ride they're amazing! Used to have a 17" K china years back until it broke :(

For whatever reason, I just can't get into the Chinas. Not sure why.

For whatever reason, I just can't get into the Chinas. Not sure why.

I think you have to just find the right one, when I brought the K years back I went through every china in the shop and it was just the nicest one.

I'm using an old 23" Wuhan I found in a shop in Amsterdam, could have got very pricey, had a 14x6.5 cob dynasonic in there which was mint.

Don't think you can get a trashier china than Wuhans.

I have a 18 in Custom K dark crash that sounds good as ride or crash. The K dark crash is thinner isn't it?

I think you have to just find the right one.

I agree. I don't like the modern "china" sound at all. Then I heard an acquaintance play an early '60s Zildjian china. (It might have been a "Pang"?? Don't know.) The second I heard it, I knew that was the china sound I wanted. The china sound was very subdued, just barely perceptible.

It took me years to find one like it, but when I did I scooped it up as fast as I could pull out my wallet.

Keep looking and listening. There's a china out there with your name on it.

GeeDeeEmm

I think you have to just find the right one, when I brought the K years back I went through every china in the shop and it was just the nicest one.

I'm using an old 23" Wuhan I found in a shop in Amsterdam, could have got very pricey, had a 14x6.5 cob dynasonic in there which was mint.

Don't think you can get a trashier china than Wuhans.
I agree. I don't like the modern "china" sound at all. Then I heard an acquaintance play an early '60s Zildjian china. (It might have been a "Pang"?? Don't know.) The second I heard it, I knew that was the china sound I wanted. The china sound was very subdued, just barely perceptible.

It took me years to find one like it, but when I did I scooped it up as fast as I could pull out my wallet.

Keep looking and listening. There's a china out there with your name on it.

GeeDeeEmm

I do keep looking. Any time I go into a shop I check out just about everything. I may be a cymbal junkie.

Back