Ludwig 5x14" Metal Snare Drum (Blackrolite)

Tons have used them

Yes they are a good snare.

Do a search here. There's a million threads on them and the vast majority of reviews are positive.

You see many of these advertised, where the stand and case are included. The stands usually are not so decent, but the case could come in handy. I would try to see if he'll package the snare and case together at a good price.

You see many of these advertised, where the stand and case are included. The stands usually are not so decent, but the case could come in handy. I would try to see if he'll package the snare and case together at a good price.

Alright I will try.
I think what he's saying is if I buy the drum AND the stand and case it would drop to an extra $15 instead of the $30 for the stand and $15 for the case but I could be wrong.

Cannot be beat for the money, check out its big brother, the 6.5 x 14, it has more body

Yeah I've been looking for a new snare for awhile, and I love ludwig and sonor the most, and I came across this but I'm not very familiar with any Ludwig stuff.

Have you used this snare?

Yeah I've been looking for a new snare for awhile, and I love ludwig and sonor the most, and I came across this but I'm not very familiar with any Ludwig stuff.

Have you used this snare?

I had one just like and sold it, but I have another one but its older brushed silver 5 x 14 and love it but I like my 6.5 x 14 Limited Acrolite more. But for the $60 I payed for the 5 x 14 it is the best snare for the money I have.

I had one just like and sold it, but I have another one but its older brushed silver 5 x 14 and love it but I like my 6.5 x 14 Limited Acrolite more. But for the $60 I payed for the 5 x 14 it is the best snare for the money I have.

I'm guessing this snare would blow away my stock snare that came with the sonor kit I have though right??

Depends on which level of Sonor kit you have. Dollar for dollar it's possibly the greatest snare drum on the market. I own the silver powder coated version and I paid $100 for mine(including a really cheap case and an even cheaper stand) and I couldn't be happier with my investment.

They are great. You can buy them cheap, and they hold their value. I paid $60 for mine with the case and stand, and sold it for $125 in a few days! I'm not saying I sold it cause I didn't like it, it was great. But I have an attachment to my snare I use now so it's hard to think of using anything else really. Guitar Center's used section puts them at $100-$150 without the stand or case.

Alright guys I'm probably going to get this drum. Now,

What drum heads have you guys used that you love and hate?

I have coated Emperors over snare side Ambassadors on 4 metal Ludwig snares.

I don't own an Acro or Blacro (have two Supra's though, which use the same shell), but if I did I'd wager I'd run the same on them too. It's a head combo I've been using for years and one I've always favoured on all my metal Luddies.

But the truth is that I believe the versatility of Ludwig snares means that they sound great with pretty much any head combo.

Alright guys I'm probably going to get this drum. Now,

What drum heads have you guys used that you love and hate?

It depends on what you play, it you want it sensitive put on a single ply coated if power is more your thing then a power dot or double ply head, On mine I have an Aquarian Hi-Energy over a Evans Hazy 300 with puresound custom 20 strand and love it. Its a cannon!
In the end you will have to find what works for you. Some of my overall favs are Evans PCRD, Aquarian Texture coated reverse dot ( same thing), Aquarian Hi-energy, Hi-Velocity, Texture coated, Evans ST dry, Genera dry, Genera HD, G1coated, Remo powerstroke 3, Ambassador.

Last edited:
I just received a 14 X 5 I bought on E-bay, and it had a G1 coated head, which sounds great! The drum is terrific, right now it is tuned high, and has a nice 'ska' sound, but I digress, as everybody else has opined, stop posting here and buy he thing already!

I just received a 14 X 5 I bought on E-bay, and it had a G1 coated head, which sounds great! The drum is terrific, right now it is tuned high, and has a nice 'ska' sound, but I digress, as everybody else has opined, stop posting here and buy he thing already!

lol Hey! I'm meeting the guy in about an hour to get it! Do you guys want pics??

Back