I need a Summer job...

I need a Summer job so I have spare cash for drum sticks and stuff. Like really badly!
I've had my eyes on a Zildjian K crash for a little while too.
I'm thinking of asking my local drum shop if I'd be able to get a Summer job.

It's also for other stuff like going into my town on weekends, saving up for stuff etc. etc.

Would this be a good idea?

Sounds cool to me. My summer-job is to walk dogs and pick up their droppings. Not a bad job and the pay is good, except for the poop-scoop part.

Yep, a summer job at your local drum shop would be fantastic. So would having your very own ferrari 599 GTB. The question is, will it happen? I remember my local guitar shop saying there was literally a waiting list of people wanting to work there when someone enquired about it. In the current market economy, you've really just got to take what you can get, tbh you'll be lucky if you land yourself with any job at all, so don't hold out too much hope for working in a drum store. By all means enquire, but don't get your hopes up...

Yeah, don't get your hopes up for that job at the drum shop. There's no waiting list where I work, but people are coming in all the time asking if we're hiring. It's almost on a daily basis. I happened to have had the right skills and knowledge at the exact right time for the owner of the shop to offer me a job, but this was also after taking lessons there for a very long time. I was actually hired with the least amount of experience compared to the rest of the employees. I can't imagine it's any better anywhere else. The best places to work are family owned joints though. Try to avoid applying at publicly owned stores, corporations, or other big companies. It's easier to build a relationship at a local place, of any type, and get a short job from there.

I'll tell you this now chris, Travelling into glasgow for a job will eat into about 2-3 hours of your wages every day. If you work for four hours, you will only get paid for one of them after you deduce travel/lunch. Try for a job in any retail environment, its terrible money, but its good experience. Plus, a lot of places will put you through SVQ's in things like Retail and First Aid, which look excellent on the CV.

I'll tell you this now chris, Travelling into glasgow for a job will eat into about 2-3 hours of your wages every day. If you work for four hours, you will only get paid for one of them after you deduce travel/lunch. Try for a job in any retail environment, its terrible money, but its good experience. Plus, a lot of places will put you through SVQ's in things like Retail and First Aid, which look excellent on the CV.

It's about 20 minutes in the train but yeah I guess it would. There's not really any places around here I think I'd be able to get a job haha. Everythings a drive from Cleland but oh well.

Yeah, don't get your hopes up for that job at the drum shop. There's no waiting list where I work, but people are coming in all the time asking if we're hiring. It's almost on a daily basis. I happened to have had the right skills and knowledge at the exact right time for the owner of the shop to offer me a job, but this was also after taking lessons there for a very long time. I was actually hired with the least amount of experience compared to the rest of the employees. I can't imagine it's any better anywhere else. The best places to work are family owned joints though. Try to avoid applying at publicly owned stores, corporations, or other big companies. It's easier to build a relationship at a local place, of any type, and get a short job from there.

I guess, it's just there's not really alot of places to work where I live apart from barbers and corner stores. And most are big companies like Morissons, ASDA etc. etc. so it's pretty hard.

I've worked for John Lewis and the NHS for a bit of extra before. It's worth it - even if the work is slightly soul-destroying!

Try a pub/bar bouncer...good pay off and a lot of friends!

Attachments

• bouncers.jpg
    bouncers.jpg
    45.3 KB · Views: 287
lol Ian, love the bouncers in front of a church.

I've worked since I was 15, took a couple months off in my freshman year of college, drove me nuts, since then never more than a week and a half off. I've had up to 4 jobs at once, but for the last 5 years am working a straight 9-5. I think work is really important and I've had a couple of "temp" jobs but never approached it like an end date was in mind. If you're only thinking about getting a job for a cymbal or two and then quitting, it's probably not worth your time, just mow lawns or have/fake a birthday. To me a job is much more than a means to expand a drum set, though that's definitely a plus. Just cautioning that you can't show up to work with the idea you got somewhere better to be, jobs are commitments and you work for them as much as they work for you.

Thanks chaymus!

I fully agree - any job is commitment and accountability...a complete cycle.

lol Ian, love the bouncers in front of a church.

...jobs are commitments and you work for them as much as they work for you.

Don't want to dash your hopes but as others had said there's probably waiting lists for jobs like that :-( Every fun looking job I've gone for has ended in rejection. Now I clean.....CLEAN arghh! Soul destroying, but because it requires no brain power whatsoever, I can make plans for jobs I really want.

Anyway good luck in your search! :)

Don't want to dash your hopes but as others had said there's probably waiting lists for jobs like that :-( Every fun looking job I've gone for has ended in rejection. Now I clean.....CLEAN arghh! Soul destroying, but because it requires no brain power whatsoever, I can make plans for jobs I really want.

Anyway good luck in your search! :)

Yeah, my friend tried the store and they have no vacancies at the moment :/ though I kinda do need the money. But I'll try :)
But it's better to have a job as something rather than nothing.

Know any tradesman? They're always looking for labourers. Call your local chippy, plumber, sparky, plasterer...whatever and see if you can get a few weeks worth of work with them. It carried me through years of school holidays and usually pays pretty well too (although there's no doubt you earn it).

If you really wanna work, roll your sleeves up and chase it down mate. Doubt a drum forum will provide many opportunities. Get off the computer and start calling potential employers. :)

Out of curiosity, what are the current minimum wages around the world? Here, in Scotland, its around £5.93 per hour if your over 18. Is there even a minimum wage elsewhere?

Thats something else Chris, the wages you will get paid for your work is usually a disgrace. At least for your first job.

Back