Suggest some drummers to me

HeyPauly

I've got some iTunes gift cards burning a hole in my pocket and I'm looking for some recommendations. I'm interested in listening to some jazz drummers who got by with really limited kits i.e. snare and hi hat or something similar. Is there anyone in this vein that I should be checking out?

Most/many jazz drummers have a basic 4-piece. Joe Morello (Dave Brubeck group), Art Blakey, Max Roach, Jack DeJohnette,..... on the modern side, Brian Blade.....many.

Unfortunately iTunes doesn't care what musicians played on the music they sell. Searching a drummer's name will only get you the albums they released as leader, if any-- you can search Ringo Starr's name and get zero indication that he once played for a group called The Beatles, for example. So you'll have to dig up drummer's discographies from another source, then search for them on iTunes using the artist or album name.

Anything with Kenny Clarke, Stan Levey, Shelly Manne, Art Blakey, Max Roach, Cozy Cole, or Philly Joe Jones. Search for them on Youtube and see which songs you like.

Unfortunately iTunes doesn't care what musicians played on the music they sell. Searching a drummer's name will only get you the albums they released as leader, if any-- you can search Ringo Starr's name and get zero indication that he once played for a group called The Beatles, for example. So you'll have to dig up drummer's discographies from another source, then search for them on iTunes using the artist or album name.

Good point. Try the search engine at www.allmusic.com. The best site for music information, artists, band, session players who-played-on-what album, etc.

Maybe guys like Art Blakey, Jimmy Cobb, Billy Higgins and Philly Joe Jones, although as far as I know they all used normal kits. Most jazz drummers I've seen play kits with at least one up one down.

You might get some more ideas from Andrew Hare's drum blog (username is Haredrums on the DW forum) - it's excellent: http://haredrums.blogspot.com

There are a million great players from Chick Web to Dave Weckel. But if you can sound like Philly Joe Jones, you can pretty much will fit in anywhere.

You need to listen to Elvin Jones. My favorite jazz drummer. He's the definition of a drummer as an artist.

Back