DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 04-06-2016, 01:35 AM

Default Modern hip hop drumming?

I realize a lot of modern hip hop is trash, but there's some cool drum stuff going on. A lot of it is broken patterns with fast hi hat stuff thrown in and 808 kick drums. Very little ostinatos in there. I'm wondering if there's any drummers out there that play this stuff on a kit? I haven't really heard anything that's convincing.
Old 04-06-2016, 02:18 AM

Default Re: Modern hip hop drumming?

im sorry but ive never heard a hip hop song and thought it was a real human playing the drums. rap too.
Return of the Andy Nemesis
Old 04-06-2016, 02:44 AM

Well, there is The Roots...
Old 04-06-2016, 04:14 AM

Chris Dave has been known to create acoustic versions of J Dilla beats. In fact he's probably THE go-to guy for acoustic hip-hop influenced stuff.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:16 AM

Jamire Williams is also good for that kind of stuff, and he's a hell of a jazz drummer too.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:43 AM
WhoIsTony?
This message has been deleted by WhoIsTony?.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:49 AM

Jack White's drummer Daru Jones is a very creative drummer with a very unique setup :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyODPkTHRks
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=72467
Old 04-06-2016, 03:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cantstoplt021 View Post
I realize a lot of modern hip hop is trash, but there's some cool drum stuff going on. A lot of it is broken patterns with fast hi hat stuff thrown in and 808 kick drums. Very little ostinatos in there. I'm wondering if there's any drummers out there that play this stuff on a kit? I haven't really heard anything that's convincing.
You've identified Sturgeon's Law: 90 percent of everything is crap.

To me it's as solid as the Law of Gravity. As an example, I love metal, but I'll be the first person to admit that you have to wade through an ocean of garbage to find the 10 percent of less that's worth listening to.

Same with horror movies (or all movies, really). I love a good horror movie, but if you were picking blindly, you'd have to sit through at least 10 to find one decent one.

There's really nothing this doesn't apply to... Barnes & Noble... I couldn't be forced to read 90 percent of what's in there... Same with the library... Netflix...HBO... Pop music... Museums... Facebook... Instagram... The things people post in Drum Forums...

Anybody have an example of a field where Sturgeon's doesn't apply?
Old 04-06-2016, 03:37 PM
Administrator - Mayor

I kind of like the vintage, old fashion hip-hop drumming better.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:56 PM

Tony Royster Jr. is the best hip hop drummer in terms of speed and dynamics. He was/is Jay-Z's touring drummer and the dude is honestly a monster. Link below is to the song "Sould Wars" by AwolNation. He also won Guitar Center drumoff at like 12 or something. He also plays Jazz, Rock, Fusion etc., he is one of the most versatile drummers of my generation. I am 32 btw.

This should also please the Ludwig fans and DW Haters because he is endorsed by DW but clearly recorded this song on a Ludwig Centennial Kit.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7NIE97tHlaw

Aaron Spears is also a really good drummer and plays some hip hop. He was the drummer for Usher a few years back and was also the house drummer for American Idol.

Also Matt McGinley from Gym Class heroes, and Eric Hernandez (drummer and brother of Bruno Mars)are outstanding drummers. Eric plays on Travis McCoy's solo album stuff.
Old 04-06-2016, 03:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FrancisDrummer View Post
Jack White's drummer Daru Jones is a very creative drummer with a very unique setup :)

www.youtube.com/watch?v=qyODPkTHRks
http://www.drummerworld.com/forums/s...ad.php?t=72467
He has some great licks on Jack White's latest album Lazaretto.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Well, there is The Roots...
Not sure if that was a jab or not if it wasn't sorry.

Being from South Jersey and growing up listening to the Roots I can tell you musically they are extremely gifted as well as versatile. If you watch the Tonight Show and see the genres that they perform with, there is no ?uestion of how talented they are.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WalterKohn View Post
Not sure if that was a jab or not if it wasn't sorry.

Being from South Jersey and growing up listening to the Roots I can tell you musically they are extremely gifted as well as versatile. If you watch the Tonight Show and see the genres that they perform with, there is no ?uestion of how talented they are.
Not at all. I've used ? for working on my pocket and it's been extremely helpful. I was responding to "no talent" saying he had never heard any rap with real drums.
Old 04-06-2016, 04:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4815162342 View Post
Not at all. I've used ? for working on my pocket and it's been extremely helpful. I was responding to "no talent" saying he had never heard any rap with real drums.
That's what I thought just wasn't sure. I met him on an Acela train coming out of DC once he's a real nice guy.
Old 11-29-2017, 06:09 PM

Dr Dre's new album Compton has a lot of great live drumming in it that goes beyond your standard hip-hop loop. He also has crafted a lot of cool beats through the span of artists he's produced.

Dr. Dre beats on drumset: https://youtu.be/d3AF3zvXpSQ
Old 12-01-2017, 01:49 PM
Gold Member

This is an interesting thread. I think compared to other styles hip hop percussion has much longer rhythmic motifs, often times shifting between one or more rhythmic phrases, more closely paralleling and interacting with the raps, as well as a larger variety of sounds and samples, and functioning more as a centerpiece or meat and potatoes of the sound rather than an accessory.

I can get pretty nice scratching sounds out of reco-reco and guiro, as an acoustic version of turn table scratching.

As a story, a long time ago a hip hop musician tried to explain to me hip hop drumming. I was thinking some sort of groove description, snare on two and four or something. He was thinking more like, "boom boom bap... Duga duga boom bap, spitz chop boom bam, uh huh a doon bap" all of which would be like a repeating phrase.
Old 12-01-2017, 03:18 PM
Platinum Member

I just pop on one of the lofi chans....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AQBh9soLSkI

They're on in the background all day.
Old 12-01-2017, 04:34 PM
Administrator - Mayor

To me it all sounds like overplaying and totally distracting. I'm never sure which beat to hip on and which to hop on.
Old 12-01-2017, 05:05 PM

I'm another voting this as an interesting thread. It's been an interest of mine for a while to try to emulate hip-hop and other sampled or electronic beats on an acoustic kit.

In terms of classic hip-hop breaks in an acoustic setting, I think The Breakestra pretty much nailed that on their Live Mix 2 album.

Hopefully this'll play wherever you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoDGjVqrGSQ
Old 12-01-2017, 05:13 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GruntersDad View Post
To me it all sounds like overplaying and totally distracting. I'm never sure which beat to hip on and which to hop on.
Well, it certainly often is a stark departure from the kind of "established" drumming that people have been accustomed to for the last few decades.

Is it the contemporary example of "noodling", being neglectful of musicality, a big put-on?

Or is it a brave new vocabulary being created, one that will bamboozele the "old folks" who can't relate?

I'll admit that I hesitate to draw any conclusions myself.

I agree that it sounds a tad contrived and "unnatural", like some "avantgarde" music, almost cerebral. And yet, hip-hop and rap are not musical genres that I would usually call cerebral. What a strange contradiction, it only adds to my confoundment.
Old 12-02-2017, 08:41 PM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike Stand View Post
Well, it certainly often is a stark departure from the kind of "established" drumming that people have been accustomed to for the last few decades.

Is it the contemporary example of "noodling", being neglectful of musicality, a big put-on?

Or is it a brave new vocabulary being created, one that will bamboozele the "old folks" who can't relate?

I'll admit that I hesitate to draw any conclusions myself.

I agree that it sounds a tad contrived and "unnatural", like some "avantgarde" music, almost cerebral. And yet, hip-hop and rap are not musical genres that I would usually call cerebral. What a strange contradiction, it only adds to my confoundment.
Ugh! Well played glad we got that one out of here. Ah lets do it, do it yeah c'mon.

I think a lot of hip hop is designed to be a back drop for a performance. Much in same vein as punk. Other hip hop is nice to listen to. I had a friend that put together an elaborate costume and mixed a bunch of garbage. Seriously, I had to leave an earlier show early to vommit, (might have been the cooking). He kept doing it, and updating his show, he eventually got gigs different places, though by this time he was sampling heavily from classic songs. It seems like things would have been a little easier if he had put an ounce of thought or research into the music. He didn't even know what the notes were, and didn't tweak the knobs three seconds to get a decent tone. Just like blah blah blah, poetry slam a pa looza.

On the other end is the hip hop I hear mixed in clubs, which I kind of wish I was dancing to right now.
Old 12-02-2017, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hawksmoor View Post
In terms of classic hip-hop breaks in an acoustic setting, I think The Breakestra pretty much nailed that on their Live Mix 2 album.

Hopefully this'll play wherever you are:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zoDGjVqrGSQ
This was awesome. Thanks for posting
Old 12-02-2017, 10:47 PM
Platinum Member

Check out German drummer Jan "Stix" Pfennig!
He's - among other things - the drummer for well-known German hip hop artist Sido.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8EXc_-japoI

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zPw9TT6YULE

Plus he's amazingly good with his feet (playing 4 pedals at the same time):

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dv3CBdHpFl8