DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-04-2016, 10:18 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default People videoing you with their phone..

...while you're playing. Does this bother you? I was reading Gavin Harrison's thread and he said that he finds it "quite distracting and annoying".

I also remember Vinnie C making not nice faces at an audience member who was viding him.

So does this bother you?

To me, when people do that to the band I'm in, I just think of the fact that the best times of my life... will be in all those people's personal devices..to view anytime. People I don't even know....and I find that amusing. So it makes me chuckle. Do these people even watch it later?

Also the fact that they liked us enough to take the time to capture it. That's nice.

I guess I'm assuming that they like us. Yea, I'm sticking with that.

But I feel complimented not bothered.

Thoughts?
Old 11-04-2016, 10:29 PM

Default Re: People videoing you with their phone..

Our band is such a small scale bar band that anyone videoing us is a compliment.

My biggest issue with it is that cell phone recordings sound pretty awful, and then when friends post them on Facebook I shudder that folks are listening to that and letting that make impressions for them about our band. And of course, with my luck, the time they record will likely be the time when I make a glaring mistake or something else embarrassing....

Oh, and like you, I'm having such a good time that I can't keep a straight face. A couple of friends are always taking photo's (which is much cooler than video) and I can't help myself, I gotta mug for the camera and be goofy. Mostly my nature, I suppose. I certainly do not have a serious "rock musician face" that I can turn on for those photo's. :p I also notice it when the guitar players are really, really ripping it up on something, and I'm playing along in the background, big ole grin plastered across my face as I'm digging what they're doing. Me and the bass player just laugh at each other, its such fun to watch.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:29 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
So does this bother you?

Thoughts?
It doesn't bother e that a video is being made. What does bother me is:

-The quality of the video... Held vertically and shaky while the cameraman can be heard talking about his hemorrhoids.

-The videos are almost never properly geotagged and time coded.

-Collation of multiple of these shitty videos (for depth mapping and multiple perspective) is almost impossible.
Old 11-04-2016, 11:02 PM

It might not be the fact that he's stored on someone's personal phone archive that annoys him, it could be more to do with people coming to his show and not enjoying it fully and not savouring the experience. He probably wants to see people getting into it rather than just standing there holding a phone, or worse, taking selfies while he plays in the background.

As a hobbyist, I don't mind it, in fact it can be quite useful to see how you appear to an audience when you're on stage.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:30 AM
Platinum Member

I never got it. I might take a picture of a show to remember by, but focusing on taking video with a crappy phone when I should be enjoying the moment makes very little sense to me.

Then again, I think at least 90% of the time, people are only doing it so they can have something to put on facebook so they can get "likes". I refuse to participate in that kind of crap. People around here literally base their life quality approximation on how many likes they get and often don't even think it's worth doing anything unless it's going to generate likes. Really sad.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:32 AM
Platinum Member

The horrible audio is the only thing that bothers me about it.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BruceW View Post
Our band is such a small scale bar band that anyone videoing us is a compliment.
Haha. Quite!

I do know that when my better half on occasion videos my band on her mobile phone, it sounds atrocious. All top-end cymbals and hi-hat!

And I've heard similar videos of 'name' acts which sound equally bad.

Can't understand why anyone can be bothered to do it, to be honest.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:48 AM
Platinum Member

I guess I'm fortunate in that most of my gigs, people actually come for the music and the experience, and phones stay in pockets. I think it would be annoying, personally.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:05 AM
Silver Member

Depends on the situation.

A month or two ago, my instru-metal band did a DIY/house show. On a lark, we decided to set up in a way that forced the crowd to be around and in-between the band, just trying to separate that arbitrary division between performer and audience.

It went over really well, and there were people all around me; over my shoulders, sitting in front of the bass drum, behind me, looking over my cymbals. I had to lean forward or backwards to get a sight line to the other players, if there was one. The occasional cellphone being held up over my head for long enough to let me know that video was being recorded. In this situation, not only did I not mind, but it just seemed like something that should happen.

The only video I've ever done for myself was when I saw GnR at the beginning of summer and Slash started the intro to Welcome to the Jungle. I got 30-45 seconds of that and kept my eyes on the stage the rest of the night. If I'm out at an event, I want to be engaged in the moment around me, not a screen.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:08 AM
"Uncle Larry"

IDK, if you put yourself out in the public arena, it just goes with the territory. As far as people not enjoying the show because they're too busy viding, IMO it's no one's place to say how much a person is enjoying something. People don't voluntarily do what they dislike doing when they are out for the night. Maybe to them it's the ultimate enjoyment to capture moments like that. At any rate, video recorders are here to stay, why not be friends?

I don't think anyone would condemn a band because the phone video sucked. They would probably be more on point condemning that particular brand of phone for sounding like crap.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:12 AM
Platinum Member

I just flash my tets, and they tend to move on...

Lol, I really don't mind. I'm kind of a ham, and I am not concerned with the issues Kamak is. I don't even know what depth mapping is. I just play drums. ;) If someone wants to archive my life and activities later, that's on them.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:26 AM
Administrator - Mayor

I'm never in that situation but I think I would have no problem unless the video was then used in a malicious way or used to make money without my consent. There are so many cameras/phones out there now that even the major venues that don't allow it have trouble policing it.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:48 AM
Silver Member

People do this to me all the time. It's just the way things are now. Somebody makes a video of the band I'm in and sends it to their sister in some other state, writing something like "I'm having chicken wings and beer and watching this really cool band at xyz bar."
Old 11-05-2016, 09:54 AM

Couldn't care less if they videoiong my band or not. We're there to perform. They're are there to listen.
I'll do my part regardless of what the audience are doing.
Old 11-05-2016, 11:30 AM
Platinum Member

I'd be more pissed if they rang me while i was playing, what ever happened to asking permission?
Old 11-05-2016, 11:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post
I never got it. I might take a picture of a show to remember by, but focusing on taking video with a crappy phone when I should be enjoying the moment makes very little sense to me.

Then again, I think at least 90% of the time, people are only doing it so they can have something to put on facebook so they can get "likes". I refuse to participate in that kind of crap. People around here literally base their life quality approximation on how many likes they get and often don't even think it's worth doing anything unless it's going to generate likes. Really sad.
My sentiments exactly.

Dutch
Old 11-05-2016, 12:12 PM
Gold Member

I'm not in that situation much as these days we seem to play to empty rooms more times than most and the bar staff are preoccupied (ha!) but when it does happen it doesn't bother me, I see it as a compliment.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:06 PM
Gold Member

Doesn't bother me at all though it does not happen that often. I agree with others the only negative is the bad sound. I don't know, I would think all performing musicians would see it as a compliment.

To me playing for people is what I have been working for my whole musical life, since grade school. You get ready for a school band concert, a drum and bugle corp parade or competition, a drum competition, school orchestra performance, philharmonic concert, and band gigs. The practice and rehearsals are about learning and playing music and I like that but it is really about playing for others and if they want to video it I am flattered.
Old 11-07-2016, 04:18 PM
JohnoWorld

If I didn't know them I would find the nearest liquid and throw it at them. Most big gigs now insist on a no-phone policy because it cheapens their brand, music and live performance.

My pet hate at gigs, or indeed anywhere where a show is on, is the huge number of people just watching it through their phone.

It's more important to tell people what you've done, rather than experience it for yourself. As a result, anyone holding up a phone at a gig need a massive slap.

But I'm a cunt so......
Old 11-07-2016, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member

Back in 72 two friends and I biked through Germany and Holland. No cell phones then and none of us bothered to carry a camera-so no documentation or any evidence of this eye opening event in our young teenage lives. To this day we argue over what happened and where. The point of my rambling is it's really nice for someone to document or bother to capture such events in life-I think it's a really good idea no matter what it is-good and bad stuff. I regret that and since have bothered to capture everything from my daughters births, every life event, even eventually got a Zoom to record myself drumming-God that was a horrifying eye opening event if ever-almost sold everything. It doesn't have to be only good stuff-I like the Good, Bad, and Ugly seems more like life. I, of course, have mixed emotions when people have videoed a group I was is in to-"yes this is great" to "hey don't get too excited Skipper it will probably sound like $h!^ on that phone" such is life.
Old 11-07-2016, 05:19 PM

It can be distracting if someone is right in your face, but it seems to be the way of it things, so I try to ignore them as best as I can. Gone are the days (for me)of wearing shorts on stage, even outdoors / middle of miserable Texas summer, because chances are someone will be posting it somewhere. And while video and picture quality has been improving, the audio is as horrible as ever. I wish they would come up with a better bass filter for the audio. It's a good example of how condenser mics don't hear things they way human ears do.

On the other hand, I'm a big YouTube star now. )
Old 11-07-2016, 06:46 PM
Platinum Member

It's happened a bunch, and I don't care.

Heck, I've even "found" myself on YouTube a couple of times.
Old 11-07-2016, 07:00 PM
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dr_Watso View Post

Ohhhh, this hits home. My thoughts exactly.

And if any of you have Netflix, Black Mirror; Season 3; Ep 1; Nosedive elevates this social need, to a new high.

https://youtu.be/R32qWdOWrTo
Old 11-07-2016, 08:30 PM
Silver Member

I'm not too bothered if someone wants to video us through their phone, tbh I probably wouldn't even see them. What did annoy me in a previous band was a guitarist who, when he saw any kind of still or video camera pointed at me, would move into its line of sight to obscure me and start posing like a guitar hero while pretending not to. But that's a whole other thread :-)

Like PorkPieGuy I found myself on YouTube once at a Level 42 gig. It was great, me and my wife had a cracking time and somebody else kindly supplied a souvenir video for us composed of about 12 minutes of highlights from the row behind us. Almost the same view as us but with added "us" in the frame. Lovely.

Even though it's none of my business I do get vexed by people viewing gigs and events through a 5" screen. I saw a video of Rammstein in which everyone was viewing basically the apocalypse in a palm sized device instead of lifting their heads up and being properly awestruck at the spectacle. And yes it does seem to be about accumulating "likes" and/or the attitude that if it didn't happen on Facebook then it didn't happen. By all means video and photograph stuff to help make memories but don't video and photograph EVERTYTHING. It's overload and the genuinely good stuff must simply get overwhelmed. Interestingly I once saw a professionally shot video of, I think, Hotei but it doesn't matter who it was, the point being that it was an artist performing in Japan to a Japanese audience. Not a single camera phone to be seen and the audience all enjoying the gig. Maybe it's a culture thing or maybe the Japanese have done a different job of creating etiquette around this fairly new technology.

And I've just remembered something. A couple of days ago a mate of mine sent me a couple of photos of me and another mate photographed in about 1986 outside of some rehearsal rooms. None of us (including the lad who took them) realised that they even existed and it was amazing to see them for the first time 30 years after they were taken. Perhaps the feeling of happiness and nostalgia is something that future generations won't feel so intensely due to them knowing how much of their lives is preserved digitally. Or perhaps not.
Old 11-07-2016, 08:53 PM
"Uncle Larry"

How about front people answering texts on mic? Or taking phone calls? That offends my sense of something.
Old 11-07-2016, 09:25 PM
Platinum Member

Quote:
How about front people answering texts on mic? Or taking phone calls? That offends my sense of something.
Now THAT irritates the bejeezus out of me.
Old 11-07-2016, 11:29 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDDrummer View Post
Now THAT irritates the bejeezus out of me.
I know and it's so hard to get the bejeezus back in right? It's a real pain :) I usually just abandon that bejeezus and make brand new bejeezus.

Another irritant is Ipads. I've waited 4 minutes waiting for my guy to make a song selection. Scrolling away. Then finding the lyrics.

One band I was had a policy, no more than 5 seconds between songs. We had set lists though. Still, not easy to rapid fire songs for every set but the crowd dug it.
Old 11-08-2016, 12:05 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
I know and it's so hard to get the bejeezus back in right? It's a real pain :) I usually just abandon that bejeezus and make brand new bejeezus.
Yeah, once it's gone, it's gone for the whole night. I don't even try.

Sleep seems to help regenerate a new bejeezus, though.
Old 11-08-2016, 10:41 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
Another irritant is Ipads. I've waited 4 minutes waiting for my guy to make a song selection. Scrolling away. Then finding the lyrics.
Wow, was there anyone still there in the audience when he was done? lol

Can't imagine gigging without a setlist. I like the 'no more than 5 seconds between songs' rule. We did something like that for a while.
Old 11-08-2016, 03:12 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bonzo_CR View Post
Wow, was there anyone still there in the audience when he was done? lol

Can't imagine gigging without a setlist. I like the 'no more than 5 seconds between songs' rule. We did something like that for a while.
No we're well liked where we go. Still, it would be much better to spit the songs right out. Hey it's his band, but TBH I'd rather have a setlist. We never use one.