DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM   

Go Back   DRUMMERWORLD OFFICIAL DISCUSSION FORUM > General Discussion

General Discussion General discussion forum for all drum related topics. Use this forum to exchange ideas and information with your fellow drummers.

Old 11-04-2016, 07:46 PM

Default Question about " Is 4 pcs setup enough? "

Hello drummer world. This is my first post.
I have a 4 piece drum kit (22-12-14-14s). And I am going to buy a new kit. 1 month ago i wanted to buy 5 or 6 piece setup but now i understand I am so comfortable in this setup and ride place.
Is 4 piece setup is enough for improve and play ?
Is there any problem in professional drum life ?
Old 11-04-2016, 09:15 PM
"Uncle Larry"

Default Re: Question about " Is 4 pcs setup enough? "

Quote:
Originally Posted by Baturalp View Post
Hello drummer world. This is my first post.
I have a 4 piece drum kit (22-12-14-14s). And I am going to buy a new kit. 1 month ago i wanted to buy 5 or 6 piece setup but now i understand I am so comfortable in this setup and ride place.
Is 4 piece setup is enough for improve and play ?
Is there any problem in professional drum life ?
To answer your questions:

Yes
No

Welcome to the forum
Old 11-04-2016, 09:44 PM

I've never had a problem with a 4. It's mainly about what you feel comfortable playing and if you feel you need more drums. If you feel comfortable with a 4, stick with it!
Old 11-04-2016, 09:49 PM
Platinum Member

I went from a very large setup to four drums, and I love it. It has refocused me on the groove and the feel of my playing - stuff that was getting lost in all the moving parts.

Look at how many drummers use four-pieces primarily. I mean, Ringo Starr and Charlie Watts use a four-piece and I don't think they have struggled professionally.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:02 PM

I would say yes. When you first start playing the urge is to add new sounds. The more experienced you get, you learn you can get a lot of different sounds out of one drum.
Example- hitting a 10" tom on the edge, using the rim, to get a timbale sound. Or hitting a floor tom right in the center and letting it boom for a fat sound.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:08 PM

If you buy a 5 or 6 pc you can always revert to a 4 pc., if need be. The inverse is not true.
But, yes, 3 pc and snare are OK...for now...
Old 11-04-2016, 10:15 PM
Silver Member

Two cents from an old dog....

If your current kit is in good shape and decent quality, good heads, lugs, etc.
I would turn my focus to cymbals... Build a versatile kit that fits the music you are playing-and would like to play. Included in that is a good cymbal bag/case, and a quality hi-hat stand....

Assuming you want to play "out" at some point next I would invest in a full set of quality cases for your drums and hardware...

Add a well stocked stick bag with an extra hi hat clutch and a few spare parts and I can't think of anything that would hold you back from being successful except a bad attitude or lack of practice...

Now if your kit really isn't up to the task then by all means...start looking at good quality USED kits and cymbals and go from there.
Old 11-04-2016, 10:24 PM
Jazz Man

This is proof enough for me that a 4 piece is JUST fine......

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6NEaFgrzjm4
Old 11-04-2016, 11:20 PM

A four-piece is fine if it's what you're comfortable on and it suits your needs. Read the four-piece thread on the PDF... https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...e-kits-are-fun
Old 11-05-2016, 12:00 AM
Platinum Member

A bare minimum of 19 drums (preferably white & with large badges) plus a rock riser is necessary for almost every playing situation ;)
Old 11-05-2016, 12:08 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrfingers View Post
If you buy a 5 or 6 pc you can always revert to a 4 pc., if need be. The inverse is not true.
But, yes, 3 pc and snare are OK...for now...

Ya - it can be easier to get more pieces up front, and leave some out when needed or wanted.
If you get a 4 piece, and decide after they're discontinued that you want more drums with a matching finish, it can be a problem.

That said, it seems a large percentage of people use 4 pc. kits nowadays.
Use whatever you're comfortable with.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:18 AM
Platinum Member

I'd pair it down one more tom-so just a 14 snare and 14 floor tom. Less to carry. People get all too busy with them so why tempt fate-I mean if you've got 3-6 toms looking at you they are begging to be whacked whether it's really needed or not. On second thought dump the 14 tom and get a 13 in tom. Just one odd tom. Yeah I like that I'm one odd tom cat too.
Old 11-05-2016, 12:35 AM
Platinum Member

The question is, do they give you what you need in order to do the gig in a way your satisfied with.

For me the answer is usually a bigger kit, my standard 6-piece. The reason is that the variations in styles, arrangements and instrumentation needs those various pitches to sound right, giving me a sort of jazz, rock, allround kit in one.

I don't really like dragging stuff around though, so if I can do it comfortable with less I do. Having more drums doesn't always mean unsing or even bringing them all. It's just options.

10,14, 18/20 is fine for many things, but doesn't work for everything.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:00 AM
"Uncle Larry"

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
Read the four-piece thread on the PDF... https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...e-kits-are-fun
It's good to know that Sticks4 is still alive and well and enjoying his Saturns.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:25 AM
Platinum Member

It does depend on the style of band and the music.
My main kit is 5pce, but I play 4pce for most cover band gigs. Some acoustic guitar based shows I play 2pce. I love having the ride cymbal in front of my right arm instead of away to the right.

I'm learning a 70's tribute show at the moment, and will need the extra tom for some of the signature fills in those songs. But realistically, almost no-one would notice if I played those fills on two toms instead of 3-4.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:36 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheElectricCompany View Post
A four-piece is fine if it's what you're comfortable on and it suits your needs. Read the four-piece thread on the PDF... https://www.pearldrummersforum.com/s...e-kits-are-fun
Reading through this thread it's like having him back again. Combative as ever I see, good ol' Stix.

Mah Rogers
Snares
Old 11-05-2016, 03:01 AM
Platinum Member

Indeed. Raising a glass for good ol' Sticks now. Can we invite him back on a day pass to stir things up a bit? He could be the salsa of dw for a day.
Old 11-05-2016, 07:19 AM
Silver Member

It's nice to have a little kit that is easier to transport. 4 pieces is good for lots of gigs. Another thing to consider is size of the bass drum. Some kits have 16 inch bass drums, they sound OK for some gigs. Bands might want you to have a small kit because there isn't much room on stage.

It's OK to have more than one drum kit.
Old 11-05-2016, 10:05 AM
Platinum Member

4 PCs are more than enough but once you get to that kind of level, you might want to start thinking about some form of server.
Old 11-05-2016, 01:35 PM
Silver Member

I play a kit which at its full size is 9 pieces (4 toms, 2 snares, 1 kick, 2 concert toms) with something like 13 cymbals, cowbell and tambourine.

But my hardware is set up so that I can reduce this down to any configuration I desire.

Personally I've always preferred having at least a 5-piece kit. I feel having only two toms limits the 'vocabulary' of the kit. I mean, the reality is that you can have as many drums as you like but you don't have to hit any of them.

Lately I've had to learn a variety of pop music with electronic sounds, and having a larger kit has made it much easier to create acoustic approximations.

So while it's all well and good to play with a small, basic kit, and they're great for portability, eventually you may find yourself limited by the kit rather than your own creativity and it's good to be able to expand or shrink as needed based on the gig.

Plus it can sometimes be entertaining seeing sound engineers get annoyed because they don't bring enough mics for anything bigger than a 4-piece kit :).
Old 11-05-2016, 02:28 PM

All of my kicks are virgin and my current tom stand is an old 70s Ludwig. It's unbalanced and will fall over with only one tom, so 5 piece it is. :-)
Old 11-05-2016, 09:01 PM
The SunDog

My girlfriend tells me that four is big enough. I've heard that's about the average.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:09 PM
Platinum Member

I think 4 is enough. I'm always switching between 5 and 4, although I'm not into having 2 floor toms. I have 2 of each, 5 piece & 4 piece, and another 4 piece for sale. I think I can play a 5 piece better, but I like the challenge of a 4 piece.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:45 PM
Administrator - Mayor

If you find something you really like that is 5 piece, go for it. You don't have to set up five, but it will give you some versatility. Say, 22, 10, 12, 14 and snare, you can mix to suit the situation.
Old 11-05-2016, 09:55 PM
Gold Member

If a 4 pc setup is enough for guys like Joe Morello, Ringo Starr, Ash Soan, Charlie Watts, Max Roach and Pete York, then I guess it is okay, that I also play only a 4 pc set. :)

On a more serious note. I used to play larger sets in the past (5 to 6 pieces), but I sized it down to a 4 pc set some years ago because of different reasons:
- easier to transport
- less money to spend on new heads
- easier positioning of cymbals
- ride at 1 o' clock
- Almost nobody in the audience will notice a difference, if you play your fills on two, three, four or five toms
- more ergonomic, more ergonomic, more ergonomic
- did I mention ergonomics?
- All, I mean really ALL drumfill patterns can basically be played with only two toms (ask Morello. Ah...he's dead... too bad). It might sound a bit different, but technically it's no difference. From a musical point of few, the differences that will get noticed are minimal, even for band-members.
- better for playing in the pocket, staying focused.
- less clutter in your playing.
- You get to know the individual instruments (snare, hitom, floortom, bassdrum) better and start to use them differently, give them more voices.

That's my view on it. Personally I have not really missed anything since playing a 4 pc set. Indeed, my drumming got tighter, more groove, more musical. A 5 pc set is also really okay for me, but anything larger is just pure luxury, I guess.
Old 11-06-2016, 12:25 AM
Silver Member

Quote:
- better for playing in the pocket, staying focused.
- less clutter in your playing.
Come on, this has nothing to do with your kit, but to do with your ATTITUDE towards playing your kit.

Of course, if you are speaking for yourself then by all means :P
Old 11-06-2016, 01:19 AM
Gold Member

Of course I am speaking only for myself (I wrote that. :-) ). I simply got distracted with too many cymbals and toms. I wanted to include all of them in every song if possible and lost focus. I stripped all the stuff away and suddenly, it made *click* again.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:20 AM
Gold Member

All my kits currently are four piece and I gig regularly for in a variety of styles. I have a preference for 20/12/14 it's because of their versatility. My Yamaha e kit (DTX 950k) has four Tom pads and I have been really enjoying the additional options that I just ordered two additional toms for my Noble and Cooley kit. I haven't used a kit larger than a four piece to gig with in almost 15 years so the additional toms will be interesting.
Old 11-06-2016, 02:39 AM
Silver Member

Actually, something I have to admit (and have done so to my guitarist on occasion!) is this:

It would be so nice if I didn't have such a huge bloody drumkit :P

Honestly, the convenience of a small kit is fantastic.

Even my practice kit at home has all 4 toms and both snares, as well as the majority of my cymbals, and this is purely to accommodate all the different styles I play and the fact that I want to be able to emulate what I'll be playing live or in the studio. Plus, I do recordings from home too, so it's useful to have the gear available.

On the same note though, I have a few rehearsals coming up where I know I will be pretty much just keeping time - and as a result I'm taking hats, ride, 1 crash, floor tom, snare, kick, single pedal. It's going to be amazing not having all this crap to cart around :P

So I guess I'm still standing by my point that it's good to have flexibility. But don't use more than you have to.

In fact, if I'm recording, I'll remove the parts of the kit that I won't be using in a particular session. There are three reasons for this:

1. I won't be tempted to hit the missing instrument
2. Said instrument won't get in the way
3. Setting up microphones becomes easier.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:06 AM
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by larryace View Post
It's good to know that Sticks4 is still alive and well and enjoying his Saturns.
Does he like Mapex drums? :)
Old 11-06-2016, 03:36 AM
Silver Member

A 4 pcs is enough.

It gets your creativity going as you have less to confuse yourself with.

After 5 years of enduring my own intransigeant 4 pcs discipline, I recently bought a 6 pcs recording custom for a studio project which is important to me.

When I started playing in the early 90's that config was all the rage.

I am now even thinking of adding a double pedal.

I love the higher voice of a 10.

Never say never, but if you decide to kid yourself for a while, go as small as you can.

Your future self will thank you in a couple of years.

It is a diet worth enduring, I am having a blast with all those toms !

As for gigging and band practice for my taste 1 up 1-2 down is still more than enough.

Enjoy the evening.
Old 11-06-2016, 03:51 AM
Silver Member

Dude... If you LIKE it and you play well on it, it works.
Old 11-06-2016, 10:00 AM
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by steadypocket View Post
Does he like Mapex drums? :)
Didn't he have some kind of disagreement with them fairly recently?