Gretsch Catalina Street?

A

adamteasdale1407

Had a blast playing a Gretsch Catalina Street kit at my local drum store earlier today. The sizes were 16" kick, 10" rack, 13" floor. The set comes with a 13" snare but the guys had set up a limited edition 10" mahogany Gretsch snare. It was a really great set with a kick drum that can be split in two. I found the closed kick gave a punchy, focussed bebop sound and when I opened it up, it was very projective and clear sounding. I think a kit like this would be great for small gigs of mine, especially if I'm playing light jazz but this kit sounded great whatever I threw at it (including some Jojo Mayer drum n bass/electro style grooves). I'm certainly beginning to consider buying one of these kits as they are also very affordable.
Anyone else also had the pleasure in playing one of these kits? Better yet, anyone lucky enough to own one? If so, what do you guys think of it?

What is the cost of these kits? There was an indepth review in Drum! magazine recently. Though they've never really given a bad review of any new kit in that magaizine.

I tried both one of these and a Ludwig breakbeat kit side by side locally- both in the £380-£400 range.

Don't buy a Gretch without trying the Breakbeat...

Back