Most enjoyable concert experince

Re: Most ENJOYABLE concert experince

Hmmm, I've seen alot of awesome concerts. I always enjoy them. Lollapalooza 08 definately takes it though. It was my first festival and the line up was made for me.

Radiohead the first night, Rage Against The Machine (!!) the second night, and NIN on the third. Radiohead made everyone cry using a climactic blend of fireworks and music during Everything in it's Right Place through to Fake Plastic Trees. I'm not kidding, as soon as the last firework blew and they brought it down for the last section of fake plastic trees, they sent out this pulsating tidal wave of emotion - and everyone felt it. Rage almost started a riot. And Kanye West's beats were so loud you could hear him from the other side of the park and subsequently ruined NIN's Hurt lol.

There were a ton of amazing subheadliners and smaller bands during the day too. Slash made a suprise appearance and played a Janes Addiction song with Perry Farrel and the luckiest 13 year old drummer ever. Jeff Tweedy did an awesome little acoustic set, though I missed Glen Kotche and the rest of Wilco since they were playing the same time as Rage...ahh well. Grizzly Bear and Explosions in the Sky were incredible. Gnarls Barkly was tight as anything and even Gogol Bordello was a lot of fun at the time.

Yeah, I don't think I'll top that.

Weather Report - Avery Fischer Hall 1985

Keith Jarrett- private performance at Timothy Hill's loft In Soho 19 sum'thin

Tony Williams- Fat Tuesdays

Dave Liebman - Jazz Yatra 1978

Steve Ray Vaughan- Concert by the Pier NYC..1982

Zakir Hussain/McLaughlin- Rang Bhavan Mumbai- 2002

If science ever gets to a point where they can do memory transplants, can I borrow your brain?

The day after my 18th birthday I went to see my favourite band Tha Mars Volta... Cedric got some of the audience onto the stage (incl me) and we all sat round as they played Goliath... then when we were made to leave, got to shake hands with Cedric and Thomas.
*sigh*
Best gig ive ever been to :D

The Progressive Nation '08 Show i went to. Dream Theater are to this day the most talented group i've seen. and opeth and 3 were almost as increadible :) ....Between The buried and me on the other hand werent my cup of tea, but all in all that was the most incredible 5 hours of Prog in my life.

just talking about it makes me super pumped about it. lol

and also, Pillar is deffintely one of my favoruite bands to watch live. and I'm lucky enough to be able to say i've seen 'em 3 times!! all 3 concerts were mind blowing!! the drummer is deffintley one of the most talented induviduals I've seen preform, hes right up there with dream theater IMO. actually I'm suprised Lester Estelle Jr. isn't on Drummerworld....

-Jonathan

Most enjoyable as an audience member :- Shihad, Wellington Town hall 2008

Most enjoyable concert I played :- Elvis tribute show, Timaru, Theatre Royal 1993

Journey in Edinburgh at the Playhouse in June 2007.
Always been influenced by Journey since I was a teenager & started playing drums. Only regret was that Steve Smith didnt make the reform, but Deen Castronovo was awesome!!

If science ever gets to a point where they can do memory transplants, can I borrow your brain?

By that point, you'll be able to travel back in time and see it all yourself. :)

btw, Abe, Julius was just there last Friday; that's why I asked you about it. I didn't go though.

We used to have some great Rock Fests and Champagne Jams here in Atlanta. Saw lots of great acts at those. But my two favorites had to be Yes at the Omni around 1978 or so, or the Dixie Dregs at the Fox Theatre around the same time frame.

The Fox Theatre has to be one of the best places in the country to hear a concert. Small enough where everyone has a great seat, and near perfect acoustics, not to mention a fantastic atmosphere.

this may be a shame to the older drummer, i sure would have loved to see bonham, moon, rich and all the other great players and bands of the 60s and 70s, but alas my parents started the shagging a little late for that.

my best concert ever, The Hives 2004 in St. Louis, MO at The Pops They had just released Tyranosaurus Hives. The show was absolute insanity. I have never heard a band be able to sound on stage like they did on the CD like these guys did and still have tons and tons of freshness and energy to make it an awesome experience. and the drummer? Like OMGWTF! he's like Phil Rudd meets Steve Moon. He remains to this day one of my favorite drummers... but uh.. I'm such a fan of the band as a whole that I don't know his name. Yes, i know. EPIC Failure.

close runners up would be Man Man also in St. Louis from philly, and Lye by Mistake from St. Louis (lol sensing a theme here). If anyone gets a chance to go to a Man Man concert and does so, it will be the single greatest decision you will ever make. don't bother listening to thier albums, just go into the concert blind. it will blow your mind. and don't worry about trying for Lye By Mistake, they broke up shortly after the show I saw.

my favourite one was seeing opeth down at the docks. It was amazing. First me and my band played for hours and drank for hours down at my uncles jam room which is a five minute walk or well stumble for us that night then we got to see 3 which everyone has to check out. then seeing opeth...it was amazing

Meshuggah with Cynic, The Faceless, and local band Enemy Reign back in February.

That show has left me with the knowledge that I will be wearing ear plugs to all other shows I go to now.

But I did get to meet Michael Keene and Marten Hagstrom plus Sherwood Webber. Cool guys.

i saw megadeath, offspring and queens of the stoneage all as support acts for the one band on this planet that must be seen live to believe ...

acdc.jpg

it was at milton keynes and i lost my watch and my shoe but i was right at the front for almost the whole show and was totally blown away by the guys. brian is an incredible front man.

i saw megadeth, offspring and queens of the stoneage all as support acts for the one band on this planet that must be seen live to believe ...

Megadeth opening for AC/DC?
Chirst, they've opened for like every famous band there is... AC/DC, Judas Priest, & Black Sabbath.

Kind of an odd lineup, Megadeth with Offspring & Queens of the Stone Age? ... and AC/DC?
Dang, quite a diverse lineup.
Bet it was a great show nonethanless.

Oh...

and of course...

Brian Bromberg's Downright Upright Allstars, in 2007, @ the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis.

I mean you have Bromberg on bass, Jeff Lorber on piano, Gary Meek on sax, and the incredible Dave Weckl on drums. And I was 'bout 8 feet from Weckl.

Absolutely fantabulous show! I'll never forget that one. ;-)

Oh...

and of course...

Brian Bromberg's Downright Upright Allstars, in 2007, @ the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis.

I mean you have Bromberg on bass, Jeff Lorber on piano, Gary Meek on sax, and the incredible Dave Weckl on drums. And I was 'bout 8 feet from Weckl.

Absolutely fantabulous show! I'll never forget that one. ;-)

Lorber & Weckl.. now thats unexpected... must have been a blast , Michael. ( Meek is awesome..)

A picture is worth a thousand words

DT&ME.jpg

Dear gracious and heavenly father, I ask for your protection as I write the words below that may in fact bring danger or harm to me and my family. Amen.

that's an awesome pic of.... well... i recognize you? o.0
can some of those thousands of words be what the band's name is?? =D

i'm just kidding, but seriously, who are they? lol i'm wanting to say that's mike portney on your right, which would make it dream theater. but i'm not too sure. (perhaps i shouldn't have said that)

Lorber & Weckl.. now thats unexpected... must have been a blast , Michael. ( Meek is awesome..)

Oh...let me tell ya, aydee. I have to admit, I was transfixed on DW pretty much the whole night. I couldn't help it, my table was right at the stage with Weckl playing sideways on the farthest right of the stage, facing the rest of the band. And right in front of me, man! :-O

I could of spit over his head I was so close. ;-)

But yes, Lorber was spectacular, and Gary, anything but, Meek WAS awesome!

Hope to see these guys again...for sure!

I just LOVE the Rams Head Tavern in Annapolis, Md. If anyone gets a chance to see a show there...DO NOT HESITATE! Excellent little jazz-club style venue.

I've seen Frank Marino there twice. I've also seen Keith Emerson, Carl Palmer, Rik Emmett, and Stanley Jordan there. All were fantastic. And it's the set-up of the venue that really enhances the musical experience. You're right there with the artist just a few feet away. Great sound is also a treat.

Back