Surgery recovery

Jeff Almeyda

Senior Consultant
As some of you may know, I had surgery about 6 weeks ago to address compartment syndrome in my left forearm.

For years, I tried every alternative therapy under the sun, trying to avoid the dreaded "knife".

I would get some relief from the constant tightness only to have it come back 24 hours later unchanged. Imagine being so tight that your forearms looked pumped and veiny every moment of the day.

Well, I wish I had done this years earlier. I am mid my rehab but the constant squeezing feeling in my left forearm is gone. My arm has actually gotten significantly larger and less veiny as a result of removing the tight fascia. It actually looks like a normal forearm now. It's even bigger than my right.

Surgery often gets a bad rap from the alternative therapy crowd but the surgical techniques of today are advancing so quickly that we often forget that things are not like they used to be.

In the "old days", they would have had to open my skin all the way from elbow to wrist just to get at the fascia. Now, they made a 4 " long incision and actually cut the fascia underneath the skin. This greatly reduces recovery time.

The moral of my tale is: Use the correct therapy for the issue. Simple tightness can be cured by massage and stretching. Long-term lingering issues usually are the sign of something deeper going on. If therapy does not handle the issue, then see an orthopedic surgeon that specializes in the hand.

Quick aside here: My wife is big on alternative therapies and organic eating etc. She always loves to spout on about how "American" doctors don't know anything and that natural healing is where they should be focusing on. Well, on the first day of my visit to the "American" Doctor, I was told he was going to be late because he was busy reattaching the arm of a construction worker that had had it severed earlier that day. The operation was a success and the man now has his arm back.

A chiropractic adjustment or some Omega 3's sure couldn't have done that, huh?

Right tool for the job.

Funny how those arms don't re-attach themselves through natural healing. Congrats on your "fix" and hope it stays repaired. I work at a hospital and we just bought a DaVinci surgery robot. About 2.25 million worth of toys and it makes most surgeries less invasive. Google DaVinci Surgical for a demo. Continued success on your recovery.

Glad to hear things are progressing nicely, Jeff. That's great news!

Very glad all went well.

Glad things are looking good for you.​

Surgery has come a long way in the last few years. Congratulations and good luck on your recovery.

Was the compartment syndrome drumming related?

No, Todd, although that is a perfectly valid question.

Compartment syndrome is usually more of a traumatic injury response more than a repetitive strain issue.

I suffered 2 significant injuries, once while doing a very intense kettlebell workout and once while doing work on a ceiling at home.

This, coupled with a possible genetic predisposition to the condition, did me in.

Good that it was all so successful, Jeff.

Just saw a great documentary called Pain, Pus & Poison which somewhat explained why artificial chemicals are so much more potent and effective than "herbal" ones. I say this as a fan of organics. As you say, horses for courses.

Great News Jeff! I'm at the two month point past back surgery and feel great. Sometimes surgery IS the answer.

Glad you're feeling better, at least for now. But remember all chiropractors are not created equal and most aren't educated in or practice trigger point muscle therapy, which I feel could have helped you. It is true the majority of surgeries are unnecessary and conventional medical doctors don't know any better so they rush a patient to surgery becasue that's all most know - drugs and surgery. Natural approaches may take longer to see results and many people want a quick fix. But in the long run sometimes the quick fixes will fail. You wife is smart cookie, an organic cookie of course ... :) Happy drumming.

Thanks for the report, and I am also glad you are feeling better. Peace and goodwill.

Glad you're feeling better, at least for now. But remember all chiropractors are not created equal and most aren't educated in or practice trigger point muscle therapy, which I feel could have helped you. It is true the majority of surgeries are unnecessary and conventional medical doctors don't know any better so they rush a patient to surgery becasue that's all most know - drugs and surgery. Natural approaches may take longer to see results and many people want a quick fix. But in the long run sometimes the quick fixes will fail. You wife is smart cookie, an organic cookie of course ... :) Happy drumming.

I went the natural route for 9 years.

I did trigger point therapy with three different practitioners, all top notch in the NY area. I also did trigger point acupuncture and I still do.

The list of therapies I've tried over 9 years is impressive. I have done hundreds of sessions of these therapies in an attempt to fix my condition. No joke.

Deep tissue massage
Active Release Technique
Chiropractic
Trigger point therapy
Acupuncture trigger point therapy
Myofascial Release
Relaxed and PNF Stretching
Meditation

Every one of these produced results in form or another. The issue was that all gains would be lost within 24-48 hrs and I would wake up with skin tight forearms again. When the entire fascia is just too tight for the compartment, no release of the muscle will produce a lasting effect. The muscle isn't the issue.

I would say that I definitely did not rush into this surgery thing.

What can I say now? My left arm feels better than it has in a decade.

Glad to hear you are recovering well and finally found something to relieve the pain. Compartment Syndrome is no joke, a friend of mine contracted it after surgery from a broken leg when she was young. She has had several surgeries since then, but finally found a surgeon that knew what he was doing last year. The change has been amazing. Seems you got a good surgeon from the start. Good luck on your recovery.

Great news, Jeff.

Members of the tin foil hat club will conveniently forget this piece of anecdotal evidence, but you can't fix all your problems by eating laundry detergent.

Back