The legendary Steve Gadd

Have you guys seen the Zildjian ( Armand) tribute to Steve Gadd, featuring Vinnie, and Marotta, and Michael Landau, Tom Scott etc..?

If you havent, buy this DVD now, documenting Steve's musical journey. Great interviews, great performances.

Five stars !!!

upcoming dvd from the Leprechaun concerts....
from chick corea's webpage:

"The second exciting week featured a group of musicians Chick dubbed "The Leprechaun Band." This group featured Chick on keyboards, the great Steve Gadd on drums, bass legend Anthony Jackson, the amazing Ravi Coltrane on saxes and the Elektric Band's Frank Gambale.

This exclusive reunion focused on Chick's music from the 70's; revisiting tunes from the classic albums The Leprechaun, The Mad Hatter, My Spanish Heart and Friends. This group was really special because it was the first time Chick, Steve Gadd and Anthony Jackson--all musicians who were on the original recordings--had ever played the music live together!

To take things over the top, Chick and band played Hymn of the Seventh Galaxy from the first electric Return To Forever album. There's a special significance to this in that Steve Gadd was actually the original drummer for the electric Return To Forever band (a little known bit of fusion-lore) before Lenny White joined the group.

The gigs were documented with a very innovative video shoot using 15 miniature High Definition cameras placed around the stage at different interesting vantage points. The end result will make you feel like you're actually on stage and in the band!

Additionally, there are plans to make a special "instructional video" version of this film, where the viewer would be able to focus on a particular player in viewing the DVD. If you wanted to watch only Victor Wooten (or whoever your choice was) for the whole performance, from two or three camera angles, the viewer would have that flexibility. You could switch between all of the players individually or watch the show with the "conventional" edit.

It takes a lot of work to edit that many cameras and mix the audio in 5.1 Surround Sound, so you won’t likely see the release of this DVD until fall or winter of 2007.

You're going to love both of these DVDs which will most likely be packaged as a reasonably priced double DVD."

I've looked on Chicks' web page and haven't been able to find this. Am I missing something ?

I was at one of those shows, and stayed for both sets. Had I known that they were taping that weekend I would have waited. But needless to say, I have been long awaiting this DVD.

I got a chance to talk to Steve a little and was sitting with two guys who were in a band with him back in HS. There is a recording of Steve live with the electric band that was taped for a college radio station. It would be great if that ever surfaced.

I don't know if this has been discussed before but I'd like to recommend some great Corea material with Steve Gadd.

First the "Super Trio" CD, (Corea, Gadd & McBride).
http://www.chickcorea.com/catalog/product_info.php/products_id/69

Second the DVD "Rendezvous in New York Three Quartets Band"
(Corea, Gadd, Brecker & Gomez performing the Three Quartets)
http://www.chickcorea.com/catalog/product_info.php/cPath/22/products_id/54

I find both these excellent!

Someone put these on YouTube:
Qt. No. 2 Pt. 2 (Pt. 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CCMm5Wi_SSk
Qt. No. 2 Pt. 2 (Pt. 2)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FP6NMXpXshQ
Qt. No. 1 (Pt. 1)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wekQuBgry4Q

What about this for an awesome solo. It is just so musical. It doesn't need anyone else in it to make it listenable/watchable again and again.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=EekpcK32qQk&feature=related

i have to whole clinic on dvd....just amazing...

a truly rare and long awaited release is out.
stuff live at montreux 1976

check it out here:
http://www.audiophileimports.com/cg...mmand=listitems&pos=0&type=search?search=gadd

just alittle sign on a cd i've just received.

its a be-bop cd with:

Bob Mintzer tenor saxophone
bass clarinet
Steve Kuhn piano
Eddie Gomez bass
Steve Gadd drums

Recorded: Carriage House, Stanford, CT, USA, 24 & 25 February, 2002

was 2002 only released in japan.
now 2007 rereleased via /www.explorerecords.com

this cd blew out my mind. what a real and truly deep stuff jazzmusic.
steve gadd plays a hell be-bop...

check this great album out.

More great stuff.

I was surprised to see what looks like moongel on the toms. Why would that be? He doesn't normally use it does he ? - and his drums sound just great without

Probably because of the acoustics in the room and the clinic was being recorded. Maybe the toms were a bit too " lively " for what they were doing.

You would probably want to hit me after hearing this, but I can't seem to find something SO speacial about this guy. overrated imo.
Yes he's very original, and yes he's a real groovemaster, but i can't seem to like him that much.
I have a feeling that ill be convinced otherwise after this thread.
Give some opinions and thought about him, I wanna see if i'm really the only one to think like that.

http://www.drummerworld.com/drummers/Steve_Gadd.html

I agree with you there. He's a bit overrated compared to other drummers I'm hearing out there these days. But indeed, he's got the groove, and I can admire him for that.

I suppose the beautiful thing about Mr. Gadd's playing is the way he can make simple rudiments sound so good, but I wouldn't put him in the same category of chops as, say, Thomas Lang or Virgil Donati.

I agree with you there. He's a bit overrated compared to other drummers I'm hearing out there these days. But indeed, he's got the groove, and I can admire him for that.

I suppose the beautiful thing about Mr. Gadd's playing is the way he can make simple rudiments sound so good, but I wouldn't put him in the same category of chops as, say, Thomas Lang or Virgil Donati.

That's the point; he's not a chops monster but a musical drummer, and therefore his reputation extends beyond drummers into the wider circle of musicians. His tone, groove and musicality is what makes him stand so far above.

Look at it from the point of view that drums are purely musical instruments (no technical workouts independence competitions etc.), then all the chopmeisters would have to be considered over-rated as they don't acheive the same level of tone or feel. It just depends on the angle you look at it from.

That's the point; he's not a chops monster but a musical drummer, and therefore his reputation extends beyond drummers into the wider circle of musicians. His tone, groove and musicality is what makes him stand so far above.

Look at it from the point of view that drums are purely musical instruments (no technical workouts independence competitions etc.), then all the chopmeisters would have to be considered over-rated as they don't acheive the same level of tone or feel. It just depends on the angle you look at it from.

JC, I have great admiration for your patience and your very even temperament. You really should be a teacher...

If only I could be as tolerant as Jonescrusher - and as diplomatic as Aydee! While gritting my teeth and understanding that all opinions are valid (maybe) and by being as generous as I can be, I guess it all boils down to what you perceive are the important attributes to being a drummer. If you were a producer, hiring for a session who would you call? Thousands of producers agree - call Gadd. Whether or not Virgil or Lang have some chops that Gadd doesn't have is completely irrelevant and may or may not be true.

Very gracious of you, by the way, to reduce Gadd's legacy and contribution to music to his ability to play simple rudiments well.

You really should listen much more to his body of work before coming to such specious conclusions.

Paul

I admire all three of you ( Paul, JC and Aydee ) for your diplomacy and even temperament.

By the way, wasn't this very thing covered in this thread a couple of years ago ?

JC, I have great admiration for your patience and your very even temperament. You really should be a teacher...

I'm feeling the love :D I have the sum total of 2 students, who probably hate me for nagging them about their hand technique....

What a arrogant bigheaded statement.

Bernhard

Back