Rimshots on die cast hoops

Merlin5

Gold Member
I mostly play triple flange hoops, have done for years ever since I started drumming.

I bought a Gretsch 10 ply snare a couple of years ago with die cast hoops.
Same as this one. https://www.gak.co.uk/en/gretsch-silver-series-14x5in-maple-snare-gloss-natural/102916

It's a beautiful drum but I generally find it a bit harder to get consistent rimshots simply because of the extra depth of the rim. Takes me a good 20 minutes to get comfortable with it. Admittedly I don't play it as often as my triple flange snares and need to practise with it more to get used to the rim. Put a triple flange in front of me though and the rimshots are so easy and consistent. Also, the feel in my hand from rimshotting a triple flange is nicer to me.

As far as the sound, yes, it has a lovely crack to it, but I do feel the sound is a bit one dimensional and lacks warmth compared to my triple flange snares. I don't know if this is the same with all snares that have die cast hoops.

Maybe a die cast hoop snare with less plys is warmer? Of my triple flange snares, one is 3 ply and the other has a few more but I don't think it's anything like 10. But they're both very warm sounding. So for those reasons, I don't think this snare or perhaps any snare with die cast rims will ever become my go to. I do enjoy playing it occasionally though and it certainly has some volume.

Does anyone else here prefer triple flange over diecast for similar reasons?

I used to be a poster boy for DC hoops. Then one day I woke up and just like that, blammo, my tastes changed. Now I am all about the 2.3 mm TF hoops.

I'm thinking the thinner the drum, the more you don't want DC. I have a real thick ply maple drum, and it works on that better than on my thin shelled drums. The lighter the total weight of the drum, the more it sings.

Treat it nice DC hoops are cold as ice ha ha.

Or the third option: S Hoops by Ahead. Best middle ground between triple flange and die cast! They're lighter like triple flange but stiffer like a die cast, and the horizontal surface makes for the best rim shots and side sticking I've experienced. They do sit much closer to the head surface so they take a little getting used to at first. But they do reduce fatigue on your sticks and wrists.

I've never been a fan of DC hoops. They look great, and they sound great on a cross-stick, but 2.3 mm triple flanged hoops are just fine for me. I've never felt I needed to "upgrade" and add the expense.

Yes trickg, I'm the same, I feel triple flanged are fine for me. I might try one of the S-Hoops though.

I used to be a poster boy for DC hoops. Then one day I woke up and just like that, blammo, my tastes changed. Now I am all about the 2.3 mm TF hoops.

I'm thinking the thinner the drum, the more you don't want DC. I have a real thick ply maple drum, and it works on that better than on my thin shelled drums. The lighter the total weight of the drum, the more it sings.

Treat it nice DC hoops are cold as ice ha ha.

Lol, yes, a bit cold. Ah that's interesting larry, as I'm sure you're right that DC needs a shell with more plies. Yes I find that thinner shells definitely sing more and I guess I prefer that, and the feel under my stick on impact.

"I have a real thick ply maple drum", poor thing, perhaps it never went to school? :D

Mustion, they sound interesting. Just watched a Gavin Harrison promo vid for S Hoops, he's been using them since 2006 apparently and says there's more surface area so better for a cross stick sound, just like you said. On Amazon UK, there's only one 8" S Hoop from Ahead, but a whole bunch of them by S-Hoop. I think the ones Gavin was showing is by S-Hoop. Is there some significant difference? And do they still give as much warmth and tone as regular TF? I would imagine they'd reduce ringing though?

Last edited:
I guess I'm the odd man out. Haven't tried S Hoops, but had the Mapex Stick Savers on my Sledgehammer. I liked that hoop as much as my cast hoops. I don't rimshot much, but side sticks on the DC are still my favorite of the options. Very loud and crisp, but I haven't found them to be any less or more predictable/inconsistent.

DC's are the most useful on single ply in my humble opinion, in fact the only time i use them.

Most of my snares are Gretsch and even my BB has die cast hoops.

Obviously , it's what I'm used to, so I have no issues.

I prefer that sound, that's why I play what I play, but where they really outperform others to my taste is the side stick. That's a big deal to me.

I use only Ambassadors.

Last edited:
I've got a kit and a couple snares that have die cast. Love the looks of them.
Triple flange are just fine too.
Like someone said, a thicker 2 ply head and die casts are a bit too much.

I also put S hoops on a kit for a while.
They make the drum striking area a bit smaller, which doesn't matter as much on toms as it does on snares, IMO.
The also can make it more difficult to mount mics.
But ya - they're a good middle ground for sound and feel between die cast and triple flange.

I was into die cast hoops on snares for a while but use TF these days. I still have a couple snares with DC and agree with Merlin that it takes a little time to adjust to the angle to land consistent rim shots. I like the open sound TF hoops produce. If I were playing a song that called for cross stick I might go for a snare with DC.

Die-cast rims are less forgiving for rimshots IMO. The sweet spot is smaller due to how rigid die-cast hoops are. In general, the thicker and more rigid the hoop, the more precise your rimshot angles have to be. Thin 1.5mm triple flanged hoops are easier to get rimshots on.

I prefer triple flanged, mainly for the open sound, but to a lesser extent because they're easier to rimshot. I do prefer the rim knocks on die-cast hoops though.

Last edited:
Die cast hoops aren't better or worse than other hoops, they're just different (and pricey). I really like them, but I like regular triple flange, or Slingerland style hoops too.

I think die cast hoops actually have a weaker cross-stick sound, but they have a nice effect on the overall sound of a drum. They tend to lessen certain harmonics due the weight and stiffness, and I usually like it better. As for rim shots on snares, you get used to the added height after a few minutes no problem.

To me, triple-flange is the Strat while die cast is the Les Paul. I think this analogy works on several levels. Even though the LP is more expensive, you can’t claim one’s ‘better’ than the other.

Purely a taste thing and what works for a given scenario thing, certainly.

I think my taste was probably quite engrained even before I started playing drums.

I know many with completely different tastes, generally people who like to tune lower and less busy than I do, but there are also drums I too feel would get to choked out. The shell needs it.

It's a beautiful drum but I generally find it a bit harder to get consistent rimshots simply because of the extra depth of the rim.

When I switched from die cast to triple flange, I had trouble getting rimshots for the exact opposite reason, so that's mostly about getting used to it.

I do prefer the sound of TF as diecast seems to take away some frequencies and make the sound a little less natura lIMHO (but sometimes that can be a good thing) but how missed how it stayed tuned better when doing steady rimshots due to its added stiffness. On my Ludwig Standard Maple snare (brand new and 10 lugs), I have to retighten the rod closest to where I hit after nearly every song, while my previous Tama SLP snare never budged. I don't that issue with my '68 Acrolite though (triple flange, 8 lugs) but that's mostly cause the rods are old and rusted a bit.

I never really got on with the S hoops. They're OK I guess. It attempts to split the difference between TF and DC but IMO they don't sound better than TF or DC.

They are too ambiguous or something. Pick a side lol.

On Amazon UK, there's only one 8" S Hoop from Ahead, but a whole bunch of them by S-Hoop. I think the ones Gavin was showing is by S-Hoop. Is there some significant difference?

I think only Ahead makes them but they're colloquially known as "S-Hoop" so that's probably the confusion. Yeah they're kind of hard to come by as a result. I get mine from Cascio/Interstate Music but I'm not sure what their shipping rates are to the UK. Good luck!

Or the third option: S Hoops by Ahead. Best middle ground between triple flange and die cast! They're lighter like triple flange but stiffer like a die cast, and the horizontal surface makes for the best rim shots and side sticking I've experienced. They do sit much closer to the head surface so they take a little getting used to at first. But they do reduce fatigue on your sticks and wrists.

Totally agree. I have S-hoops on both my go to snares in addition to having them on the batter side of my Sonor Delite toms.

I think only Ahead makes them but they're colloquially known as "S-Hoop" so that's probably the confusion. Yeah they're kind of hard to come by as a result. I get mine from Cascio/Interstate Music but I'm not sure what their shipping rates are to the UK. Good luck!

You can also get them at Drum Factory Direct. I've had really good luck with them on both toms and snares. They do take a >little< bit of getting used to. They really are a good alternative to both TF and DC hoops.

Back