Ready to open for Big Business tomorrow! Woot!

Road Bull

Silver Member
This should be a fun night tomorrow. We are playing a show with one of my favorite bands, Big Business. I dig Cody' playing so it will be cool to check that out too. He will be laying it down on my kit.

Some pics of my Ludwigs.

Attachments

• 20150905_172222_001_resized.jpg
    20150905_172222_001_resized.jpg
    293.7 KB · Views: 292
  • 20150905_172207_resized.jpg
    20150905_172207_resized.jpg
    311.7 KB · Views: 291
  • 20150905_172236_resized.jpg
    20150905_172236_resized.jpg
    294.2 KB · Views: 292
Sweet looking kit. What snare is that you have with those washers on the tuning lugs?

Sweet looking kit. What snare is that you have with those washers on the tuning lugs?

Wow! Good eye, or eyes.. lol. So my snare is just a Ludwig LM402. I am just trying out those knurled nuts on the tension rods to try to keep the drum in tune during heavy hitting rimshots. I found the on ebay. Stinky as mentioned something about them being vintage Slingerland, however they looked pretty new. I just think someone found a source for ones that looked similar to vintage Slingerland. At any rate still too early to tell how well they work. After a song they have loosened up a little bit. However, the tension rod had not backed out as much as usual. So I guess we'll see tonight.

Beautiful kit! What series of Luddies are those minus the snare?

Thanks. They are Classic Maples in Vintage Black Oyster Pearl. I got them in 2013 and really enjoy them. The 26" bass drum is a monster and keeps up well with all the guitars and bass volume.

When I think of Ludwig drums, your kit is what always comes to mind. Beautiful.

When I think of Ludwig drums, your kit is what always comes to mind. Beautiful.

Right on! It's funny how we associate the idea of something with a particular images. The credit goes to Ludwig on this one. They did a great job on the wrap. Initially I was a bit hesitant going VBOP because I had ordered them in Black Glass Glitter and was told about a week or so later that they could not do that finish at the time. A pattern finish was a little outside of my comfort zone, but I am glad it led me to where I ended up.

And more importantly, they sound fantastic! They are a thunderous lot those drums. I end up getting a fair amount of compliments after shows with how the drums "hits you in the chest". Ha! I will take that as a compliment. Hee hee.they are a lot of fun to play. I came from playing 22" bass drums all my life to this big boy.

This should be a fun night tomorrow. We are playing a show with one of my favorite bands, Big Business. I dig Cody' playing so it will be cool to check that out too. He will be laying it down on my kit.

Bull - that Ludwig kit of your's is gorgeous! The wrap, the chrome quality, and the overall presentation of the kit is spot on. You should have a great time hearing your kit played in a pro venue. We must see some pics - and a video would be great.

I'd never heard of Big Business, so I watched the video of their Hellfest 2012 performance. Cody is indeed a pro level drummer, especially for that genre of music. His bandmates, though . . . well . . . let's just say . . . let's just say nothing. Each to his own.

GeeDeeEmm

Thanks Loa and gdmoore28.

So someone was filming with a pretty serious looking video camera last night, and they were supposed to be recording from the board.

Something funny:
During one of our songs I noticed that the clip mounted snare mic had gone slightly askew. Well, to the point that the head of the mic was resting on the rim. I thought to myself, well, that can's sound good.. I am used to trying to fix minor issues as they come up while playing. So I figured that I would give this a crack. Still armed with my left stick in hand, I try to re-position the mic. The mic moves mostly to where I want it, or at least can live with it, but then it decides to let the mic anchored in the mount to slide forward till the head of the mic is resting on the snare head! Drat! I notice the nut that tightens the mount into a workable position has loosened up enough to let this happen. Stick under chin, I quickly work the mic mount back into its proper position and tighten it. Great! Except that as I grab my stick again, I notice another smaller black screw and nut back out and fall to the abyss of my black drum carpet and black stage floor. F*@%!! Bye bye, and it's gone. Hahahaha. But the whole time... I never missed a beat. I think it's about knowing when to say when as issues present themselves.

It was a great show with tons of cool people. Cody and Jared were super cool and a lot of fun to watch tear it up.

A couple more pre show pics. Now with red back curtain!

Attachments

• Flux.big.jpg
    Flux.big.jpg
    7.8 KB · Views: 144
  • Flux.big.2jpg.jpg
    Flux.big.2jpg.jpg
    7.9 KB · Views: 144
Last edited:
I bet that was an awesome show. I haven't seen Coady play since he was in Murder City Devils but he won me over right away. Then to hear him with Big Business, and later, with the Melvins ... wow, he's pretty great, IMO.

Congrats on what I'm sure was a great show!

Ah, now it's all coming together!

You guys played Paulapalooza this year. I didn't make it but I saw your set online and didn't realize it was you at the time. Guess I shoulda known with that kit! Haha, now I know!

Seems we run in the same circles with Sun Giants, Sky Penis, Greenriver Thrillers, Klaw, etc, so now that I know who you are, I'll have to get out and see you guys. My band is 29A. We haven't played a ton of shows yet but have been picking up more in recent months. We should set something up!

Ah, now it's all coming together!

You guys played Paulapalooza this year. I didn't make it but I saw your set online and didn't realize it was you at the time. Guess I shoulda known with that kit! Haha, now I know!

Seems we run in the same circles with Sun Giants, Sky Penis, Greenriver Thrillers, Klaw, etc, so now that I know who you are, I'll have to get out and see you guys. My band is 29A. We haven't played a ton of shows yet but have been picking up more in recent months. We should set something up!

Hahaha.. Cool man. Yeah, those bands are our partners in crime, lol. Small world. We have been going through bass players like Spinal Tap goes through drummers. Darren from Ancient Warlocks has come on board to play bass. We are going to try to focus more on writing new material now that Darren is up to speed on old stuff. I look forward to meeting you in person and checking out your band.

-Ryder

Cool, let me know if Darren spontaneously combusts - I've been on the prowl for a band to play bass in ... CL hasn't been very useful for that lately.

We don't have anything booked until 10/24 at The Mix, but it's with the Thrillers and they're probably my favorite band atm (The Devil Bores Me is also on the bill, and they're good too). We practice at the same space as them so we end up hanging out a lot more often than sharing bills, so this will be extra fun.

When's your next show?

With our luck, spontaneous combustion of bass players is a real possibility that we at IF live with. I will let you know if just such an event might happen.

Our next show is Sept 19th The Valley in Tacoma with Skies Below, Greenriver Thrillers and Granite Waves. That should be a fun show!

I hope to make it out to your show on the 24th. The Mix is a cool venue. We usually practice on Thursdays, but maybe I can race back from Tacoma that night. When are you playing that night? First, second, or third?

With our luck, spontaneous combustion of bass players is a real possibility that we at IF live with. I will let you know if just such an event might happen.

Our next show is Sept 19th The Valley in Tacoma with Skies Below, Greenriver Thrillers and Granite Waves. That should be a fun show!

I hope to make it out to your show on the 24th. The Mix is a cool venue. We usually practice on Thursdays, but maybe I can race back from Tacoma that night. When are you playing that night? First, second, or third?
Cool, I'll have to check that one out. I haven't been to The Valley, so that would be awesome. I want to check out Skies Below, too. Been crossing paths with Tim S for a few years now so I'm overdue to see what his band is all about.

Our Mix show is Oct 24th, which is a Saturday, so no need to rush up on a Thursday a month in advance! ;) I don't know the order yet. tbd.

The valley is a pretty cool venue with good food. And there is a cool doughnut shop next door that is open late and is supposed to have fresh late night doughnuts, so I have heard.

10/24 being a Saturday makes it easier for sure.

Take care man.

Back