which head doesn't loose its teeth

A drummer buddy of mine recommended Aquarian.

I put one on about four months ago, and its still going strong.

For the record, I use sticks a lot more than brushes, but I use brushes a good deal too.

Some of the jazz guys here can probably provide more details.

Love that hiss though.

;^)

Just a side note... coating wearing away is an age-old problem since plastic heads emerged in the late-'50s. Ludwig had a head refresher called Ruff-Kote, which was basically the coating they used, but in a spray can for personal use:

ruff_kote.jpg

When the coating on the head got smooth ot wore away, a spray of this stuff brought it back to life!

I spoke to Ludwig about re-issuing this, especially since the coating is now water-based and environmentally friendly. Still waiting to hear. :(

Bermuda

Business opportunity right there.

Just a side note... coating wearing away is an age-old problem since plastic heads emerged in the late-'50s. Ludwig had a head refresher called Ruff-Kote, which was basically the coating they used, but in a spray can for personal use:

ruff_kote.jpg

When the coating on the head got smooth ot wore away, a spray of this stuff brought it back to life!

I spoke to Ludwig about re-issuing this, especially since the coating is now water-based and environmentally friendly. Still waiting to hear. :(

Bermuda

Great idea. I've never seen that before. Does any other head manufacturer make a similar product?

Originally Posted by bermuda
...the coating is now water-based and environmentally friendly.

Aha! Maybe that’s why the coating seems to wear out so much faster these days.

I wouldn't be surprised. But coating wear was always an issue for brushwork.

Evans has/d a few heads designed to combat the problem. The J1 was an etched head - basically, sandblasted - so the textured surface didn't wear away. I don't know if it's still available. And a suitable alternative is my fave batter, the Strata 1000, which has a luight texture to it. Not as aggresive as a coated surface, but not smooth either. I'm not absolutely sure how the 'surface' is applied, but I get the impression it's part of the Mylar - not a coating - because it's light and consistent, as were the (sandblasted) J1 heads.

The Strata might be a good alternative to a coated head for brushes. It's 10mil, so it's lively and responsive.

Bermuda

Great idea. I've never seen that before. Does any other head manufacturer make a similar product?

Not that I know of, and it's something that could be used by any drummer who uses coated heads. A great opportunity indeed.

I was at Monroe watching them make heads, and the gal spraying coating on the heads wasn't wearing a breathing mask. I asked why, and was told that the coating is water-based and no hazardous fumes could be inhaled. I immediately remembered the Ruff-Kote, which I assumed had disappeared as a result of all the environmental controls that became so prevalent in the '80s. Aha, maybe it's time to bring that back, I thought. I discussed the idea with one of the people, and later sent a more detailed plan, including the potential for most drummers - not just Ludwig users - to buy this.

No word since June... perhaps they're concerned about diminishing heads sales from drummers refreshing their old heads instead of buying new ones.

But it would be a great product for somebody to re-introduce. Evans? :)

Bermuda

The coating on pretty much any other manufacturer's head lasts longer than Remo's coating :( All Evans coated heads work well enough. The J1 head that Jon referred to is still available too, & the "roughing" lasts way beyond any coating I've tried. Aquarian coated heads seem very durable to me, although I've only had these on test for the last three months. One curved ball suggestion might be to try Aquarian's Modern Vintage heads. They're meant to imitate the feel of calfskin heads, & do a fair job of that, but that coating seems super tough. They have a very cool tone to them too :)

Brushes have always left a grey residue, and non-metal brushes don't sound or play the same.

Bermuda

For many a gig that I used mostly brushes, I had a Fiberskyn on my snare. It's a pretty heavy head though and after a while I wanted to hear "more" of the drum. So, I went back to the Ambassador (or G1 ... not much difference IMHO).

The J1 is something I honestly keep forgetting to try. Next time ... honest!

BTW, In Modern Drummer (many, many moons ago) I remember reading about an old jazz drummer talking about things he learned from Papa Jo. One such item was Papa Jo sprinking salt on his drum head when it was worn, so that the brushes would still have some "swish". Believe what you will ....!

Cheers,
radman

Business opportunity right there.

All the Remo guys are gonna want it LOL LOL... while the Aquarian and Evans guys immediately turn away!

I keeeed.... I keeeeed. But couldn't help poke a little fun at Remo :) (And I use their heads)

BTW, In Modern Drummer (many, many moons ago) I remember reading about an old jazz drummer talking about things he learned from Papa Jo. One such item was Papa Jo sprinking salt on his drum head when it was worn, so that the brushes would still have some "swish". Believe what you will ....!

I think he meant that in tough times, the drum head tasted better with salt on it!

Back