Drumming Grades.. Your Thoughts?

Hi there,

Sounds like you're in the same position I was around 3 months ago. I had played in bands etc. for a number of years but never had a lesson in my life. I decided to get some lessons, but also to do the Trinity Guildhall grading, mainly as I like something to focus on and gauge progress against.

I've not taken any of the exams yet, so I can't comment on those, but I am studying the rudiments, notation etc. for grade 4 now (I just started on the Trinity book a couple of weeks ago).

I'd never bothered with rudiments or notation before, but I'm really enjoying things so far, and I suppose that is the main thing!

HTH,
Iain

i have done the eight, and i would be much better without doing the actual grade. You spend so much time doing useless stuff, some is good and you should learn it, but i would advise against doing the actual GRADE. There is a lot of time wasted on doing some of the stuff......well unless you want t have a pretty certificate.
all the best

i have done the eight, and i would be much better without doing the actual grade. You spend so much time doing useless stuff, some is good and you should learn it, but i would advise against doing the actual GRADE. There is a lot of time wasted on doing some of the stuff......well unless you want t have a pretty certificate.
all the best

Can you explain? The whole point of doing all the different parts of the exam is to make sure you're all-round musicianship is tested.

Can you explain? The whole point of doing all the different parts of the exam is to make sure you're all-round musicianship is tested.

well, it's hard to remember any parts. But there are definatly parts in the grades that help you, that greatly help you......but learning certain pieces off by heart is a waste of time. emmmmmm, like in one song i did for grade eight, there was a brush part that you would never ever play, it just did'nt fit.......you should be able to play the whole piece, but you should'nt stress for months trying to piece it all together. But the actual pieces do help. this is just my opinion of course.....yours??

^^ Necromancer!

I'm pretty sure Rockschool will teach you to play more than just rock, but try Trinity if you're worried about it.

- Reggae Mangle

If you want to teach I would have though it essential. For your own satisfaction? Great, go ahead.
To play with others, no. You could have grade 8, but If they dont like your style of drumming you still wont get the gig.

Back