Just put together a pretty kick-a$$ in-ear system...

reeber13

After a ton of research and meetings with my production crew, I decided to build my own hard-wired in ear monitor system. Here are the components and a GREAT value:

1. Rolls MX28 3 channel stereo mixer with 2 headphone outs ($80)
2. M-Audio ie-30 dual driver in ear monitors ($240)

Rolls MX28 channel distribution:

Channel 1: Aux send from the monitor board
Channel 2: Roland SPD-S
Channel 3: Tama Rhythm Watch

I am just waiting for the headphones to arrive. I should have them today or tomorrow. I am going to use them at the next few shows and level everything out.

I'll let everyone know my results and thoughts on this setup. For a total of $320, could I have gone wrong?!

My question to you guys: Has anyone used the ie-30s or the Rolls mixer? If so, what do you think?

I never used the Rolls mixer or the ie30s, but I would question the ability for the Rolls to be able to directly drive the headphones to the level you're going to need. I hope it works out for you, but that would be my main concern. With using ear buds you should be OK as long as their isolation is great enough so you won't have to drive them extremely loud. It will depend a lot on the type of music you play and the venue

Dennis

Hey... Thanks for the response. That is my only concern as well. I hope the mixer has enough power to drive the mix. The headphones have a listed db reduction of 26db and have dual drivers. They are pretty good at isolating. I am also going to get the molded custom ear buds once I get the cash.

I'm also in the market to pick up a butt shaker... That should add back some of the feel I'll lose in with in-ears.

hey i'm using a similar setup (except my click track is fed through from ableton and changes as the tempos do in the set). also using spd-s. i don't have in-ear monitors though. i'm mainly playing dance music in clubs atm so i have a pair of nice close backed audio technicas because otherwise i wouldn't be able to hear. i'm sure your setup will be fine! good luck.

I use a ROLLS PM351 Personal In Ear Monitor Mixer, works good for me. I can't give any input on the ie 30"s though. I use Ultimate Ears Custom UE 7 Pro's and they are amazing. They weren't cheap, but they are one of the best investments I have ever made. They do make a cheaper set of custom in ears for $399, I highly recommend custom fit in ears. Good luck with this set up.

Back