How to setup a vocal mic for drummer?

Mike7300

Is there a special mic stand for a drummer to use, so that it won't get in the way while im drumming and doing vocals at the same time?

I use a boom stand behind me. The boom comes out over my head, and then has a gooseneck attachment where I mount my mic. In addition to that, I use a 50s style "Elvis mic" (the Shure SH-55), which means that it stays out of the way of my hands.

It works really well. The mic stand and boom is completely out of my way, and the mic itself takes up very little space in front of me. In addition to that, the gooseneck means I can make adjustments to the mic position very easily.

Here are a couple of pics; hopefully you get the idea:
Kit_02.jpg

Lucky_01.jpg
Eskil_04.jpg

Cool, where did you get the attachment from?

I have a DR Pro mic stand, so im assuming i can somehow add the attachment onto it.

I did that for a lot of years too, stole the idea from Triumphs's Gil Moore, he swung it over when he needed it and swung it away when he didn't. I used it right up to a few years ago when I started using an audio technica atm73a headset mic.

l.jpg

Wow, tell me that shot isnt from the 80's, concert toms, just enough front head for logos and to hold the hoops on, black dot remos and double butt end sticks...lol

Last edited:
I did that for a lot of years too, stole the idea from Triumphs's Gil Moore, he swung it over when he needed it and swung it away when he didn't. I used it right up to a few years ago when I started using a good headset.

l.jpg

Wow, tell me that shot isnt from the 80's, concert toms, just enough front head for logos and to hold the hoops on, black dot remos and double butt end sticks...lol

The lightbulbs are also a nice touch :p

I found that anywhere I put the mic it was in my way. I tend to swing larger than I really need to.

I got a Shure Wireless headset, and it works and sounds OK. Its not super great, but it was not super expensive. It needs some EQ, but with a little care it sounds good.

At some point I will upgrade to a better wireless system and a better mic. Crown 311A and most likely a higher end Shure wireless system.

If you can rent or borrow a wireless headset try one out at a practice. I am glad I did.

There's no 'best way', some people like this, some like that. I've even used a straight stand on the floor between my legs, it worked in a pinch situation and I was surprised how well it did.

Headsets are not comfortable IMO, you've got this crap on your head/face, not a good feeling. You can get used to tho, but its not for me.

Back