little finger grip. double stroke roll

Not many drummers seem to advocate this anymore... looking at your vid there still are some who play this way. Is it old-fashioned/outdated?

Just tried it on the kit and it definitely works, even on big toms - doubles with fulcrum in the little finger, some help from rest of hand loosely around stick... As mentioned before, Tony Williams and Jim Chapin seem to know and use it.

Quite different from anything else really!

I subscribe to go to the back of the hand for many things. Personally, I use a 2nd finger fulcrum mostly, but i know some guys who use the ring finger.

Basically gripping with the pinky always tight, the Spivack way is usable for some things. As mentioned Tony generally used it. To me it helps with certain types of hi-hat work, like if you try to do something fast onehanded like e.g. what Tony did on "Fred" it might help with your control.

You can use whatever fulcrum you want, really. If it works for what you want to do and you find the balance on the stick, then it works.

Offcourse, if you play many different kinds of stuff, you probalby don't use one static grip or movement for everything.

It's definitely a grip that's still going strong in France, Switzerland (especially Basel) and beyond. You really should search out an expert in that style. But basically, the right hand holds the stick like a motorcycle handle and it seems to be more held at the pinky. It's all wrist technique from what I've been shown, no matter what the tempo. I have some friends who are quite good at it and I can play a few beginner level pieces in the Basel style. But getting the right feel and phrasing- it's like learning another language. Fascinating stuff.

Solo performance in Basel:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Ck8_E46hgAA

Swiss Mariners:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KbmAkn6lBRo

I almost always play on hi-hat and ride this way, so I have this feeling only in my right hand. I just wanted to know more about this grip.

Thank you all.

Back