learning multiple instruments, getting out of control.

dazzlez

Since I've practiced drums for around 3years I figured I should learn a second instrument to become a better player. piano was the number 1 choice but when I had a guitar at home and found wonderful free lessons I've started there and can't stop. I've also started on the keys and getting a MIDI keyboard for christmas. But while I'm waiting for that I found great free violin lessons for my girlfriend and now I've started on that too! I also started practice my singing even though I've never been a great Singer I believe anyone can learn to sing great. So at the moment I'm practicing 5 instruments... don't know where it will lead to but I'm starting to think 10-17 years from now and what I will use all the skills for.

I played piano before I played drums. And trumpet. Zero interest in picking them back up.. I think drums are demanding enough, unless I had enough cash to sit around and practice and make music for the rest of my life. I could make room for 1 more I guess but I'd rather just put my knowledge to use with electronics.

There's a saying; a hunter who chases 2 rabbits catches neither.

Someone will come along and disagree with that statement..

keep going. there is no "speed limit". many of the big dollar tour gigs are all turning into multi-instrumentalist roles. Paul Simon is one example. i was wowed when i saw Jim Oblon playing kick / hi-hat w/ his feet, guitar w/ his hands while singing.

quick search on JIm bring up this:
+ http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ElWZV3fd-Mg

Some people only need guiding in one direction or another. Others are monogamous. Neither are better or worse, just different. It's all music.

I think its coming down to playing all the instruments, engineering, doing all the business/finance if you want a reasonable chance at making a living as a musician playing their own music(not as a teacher/gun for hire)

Yeah, sounds like its out of control. I would focus on learning new songs on one secondary instrument(I picked trumpet if my voice weren't so low I might choose singing), channel your urge to learn new instruments into learning new songs, buy song books. For tertiary instruments I would avoid things that are an endeavor unto themselves, IE guitar, piano, violin , last thing the world needs is more guitar badly done. Instead look at things like native flute which are relaxing and easy, I actually got a part for conch in an ensemble, so who knows when these types of skills might come in handy.

I always say that you can learn a lot about a little, or a little about a lot.

Typically I'm more the "jack of all trades" kinda guy. I like living a varied life, learning as much about anything I can and to a small extent I can play quite a few different instruments. Nobody is really going to raise an eyebrow at my bass playing, but I can hold down a groove for sure.

Drumming was one of those things that just grabbed me and demanded my attention. Still does, every day, every moment. I'm not thinking about melodies, and if I am, it's usually the underlying rhythm that's really caught me up.

My suggestion might sound weird, but I think this is kind of what most people should do to "find them self". Keep trying new things to a level where you can tell if this is the thing that will be your life's passion.

I am a multi-instrumentalist, and music is what I do for a living. I see no problem with learning multiple instruments, as long as you get what you want/need from each one. For me, it just provides more opportunities to be hired. Every new instrument provides a deeper understanding of and a fresh perspective on music. My picking up the trumpet, for example, has made my guitar playing better because it has trained my mind to think in intervals rather than patterns and scale degrees. Of course, the understanding of scale degrees I learned from guitar helped to learn trumpet as well. Guitar helped me learn bass, which eventually led down the path to upright bass, which has helped my bowing technique on cymbals. The voicings I learned on mallet instruments help with guitar, and the polyrhythms I learned on drum set helped me play certain intermediate-level marimba solos in college. My conga playing helped me to understand the role of the drum set in latin music, and the hand technique concepts from the congas translated (somewhat) over to djembe. But, not to doumbek, which helped my learn the tar and riq, and now the tablas.

It all builds on itself and snowballs. I like having many tools at my disposal, and I feel that when I learn a new instrument, my overall playing and perspective as a MUSICIAN improves, diversifies, and I am able to "speak" more fluently.

Since I've practiced drums for around 3years I figured I should learn a second instrument to become a better player.

This statement totally confused me and I strongly disagree......If you want to become a better DRUM player then you should be playing drums, not another instrument....that's a no brainer.
If you mean a better musician, then maybe......By playing 5 instruments, you will become a more versatile musician, no doubt about it, but a better one at any of the 5?? Not necessarily

There are no rules unless, say, you have a goal to be pro drummer....in that case you might be diluting your efforts. Besides that, go for wherever the flow takes you and enjoy the journey.

I would like to play accordion believe it or not, but I'm too focused on drums and afraid to take time away from it....I get almost overwhelmed with all the things I want to learn in drums and more instruments would just scatter my brain.

So, identify your short term and long term goals....and that may provide guidance as to the validity of your approach.

The cats that I know who make the multi-instrument thing work are musicians first. The know music. They know theory, timing, how to read, have studied and understood many styles. When confronted with a new instrument, they only need to learn how to make it work, where the notes are. The music part they already know. This includes listening so that they have feel and tone production. When they are playing around with a new instrument, they listen to what comes out and work at what they are doing until it sounds like what they want it to sound like. From there on out it's just a matter of playing the music that's already inside them.

You can empirically learn a few different instruments to some level of proficiency. I know some who've done that. I've done that. When I worked in a music store I could pull just about anything off the shelf and pick out some song or the other on it. But that isn't the same thing. So I started backing up and trying to learn music so when I went to something, I had some idea what was going to happen before it plucked/blew/hit it.

I would like to play accordion believe it or not, but I'm too focused on drums and afraid to take time away from it....I get almost overwhelmed with all the things I want to learn in drums and more instruments would just scatter my brain.

I kind of would like to learn accordion too(reminds me of wondering around the streets of Vienna) I don't think there is enough of that in the world. Not to mention the techniques should transfer to and from these light weight midi synth keyboards very well, and as portable acoustic harmony instruments they would be hard to beat, they are actually able to back trumpet and some percussion, not to mention there are all kinds of stylistic variations, from merengue to polka, including tango and zydeco. They are kind of expensive as an entry level instrument though. I think they get a bad rap in the tuning department, but that is part of the art to playing them.

I also play multiple instruments, but I can't focus on all of them at once. I have to actually "give up" the other instruments, sometimes for YEARS, to focus and improve on the new instrument. I don't seem to lose much of what I had before on those instruments I "give up", so it works well for me.

I play the guitar and bass, as well as dabbling with a little Piano (or keyboards) as well as the drums, obviously. I'm also a singer.

I lack focus so sometimes I don't get all the details ironed out with everything but it does give me a wide range of options for composing and arranging. It also means that there is always something taking my interest - for the last few months, it's mainly been my bass playing. I can play the 'main three' (and sing) competently and could/have performed at a good standard with all of them.

The only exception to my encouraging to learn a lot of different instruments would be woodwind and brass. The embouchure is different between instruments. A tuba player that also plays the cornet would cause technical issues and I've seen it happen with a few players.

I kind of would like to learn accordion too(reminds me of wondering around the streets of Vienna) I don't think there is enough of that in the world. Not to mention the techniques should transfer to and from these light weight midi synth keyboards very well, and as portable acoustic harmony instruments they would be hard to beat, they are actually able to back trumpet and some percussion, not to mention there are all kinds of stylistic variations, from merengue to polka, including tango and zydeco. They are kind of expensive as an entry level instrument though. I think they get a bad rap in the tuning department, but that is part of the art to playing them.

Yea...Right On. I find the accordion to be a cool and interesting instrument; I've never even laid a finger on one though..and I like the sounds that come out of it. Since I grew up in a very ethnic area...Italians and Polish and German...I was exposed to lots of watching of the show Polka Varieties...HAHA!!

You cannot take away those early informative experiences..so I guess that's where the interest is coming from. I think it would be fun and funny to sit outside with my wife and family, get drunk and play the accordion and everyone singing...

Back