Reskinning, need an idea on what to get.

Alright. I checked out guitarcenter.com and they still want to charge me like $20.00 for shipping to a local store. So, not too sure. I would probably get the G1's for the bottom and G2's for the top just like you do, I doubt having two sets of G2's for top and bottom would make a major difference in sound. I'm looking at about $300 which I'm okay with. I just wish I could buy them locally, you know? Make life so much easier.

Although possible, you really dont need a 2 ply head on the bottom. It would deaden the sound a bit.
$20 is not really too much for shipping. I would pay the same here in the US.

Although possible, you really dont need a 2 ply head on the bottom. It would deaden the sound a bit.
$20 is not really too much for shipping. I would pay the same here in the US.

Alright. I'll make a wishlist and pop into guitar center maybe next weekend. It's about an hour drive from where I live so.

Thanks for all the help guys. Evans GMAD (possibly GMAD 2) bass drum skins and Evans G2 on the top, maybe G1 on the bottom.

Possibly one last questions, do I really need to replace the ones on the bottom?

Possibly one last questions, do I really need to replace the ones on the bottom?

Yes bro, please change the reso heads. You wont regret it. If you dont change them, you will just obsess about how good your drums might sound with good reso heads.
They make a HUGE difference on the tone of a drum.
You can use good reso heads for a long time also. Maybe every 4th batter change.

Go to the "search" bar and type in "reso heads". There are alot of threads on the subject.

Yes bro, please change the reso heads. You wont regret it. If you dont change them, you will just obsess about how good your drums might sound with good reso heads.
They make a HUGE difference on the tone of a drum.
You can use good reso heads for a long time also. Maybe every 4th batter change.

Go to the "search" bar and type in "reso heads". There are alot of threads on the subject.

Good news and bad news.

Good news is, the store where I'm going to buy my cymbals has the in stoke. Bad news is, it costs about $120 for the G2'ss, $100 for the G1's, and $60 each for the GMAD's. So my overall trip will be about $1600 in cash I don't have. But hey, I'd rather go into debt for a passion I love.

How often do you change the heads?

Edit*

SO, the G1's are the exact price as the G2's. Should I just buy G2's for both the top and bottom?

Good news and bad news.

Good news is, the store where I'm going to buy my cymbals has the in stoke. Bad news is, it costs about $120 for the G2'ss, $100 for the G1's, and $60 each for the GMAD's. So my overall trip will be about $1600 in cash I don't have. But hey, I'd rather go into debt for a passion I love.

How often do you change the heads?

Edit*

SO, the G1's are the exact price as the G2's. Should I just buy G2's for both the top and bottom?

Well, you got all your heads for right at $300, which is what you said yould spend right?.
Sounds like win to me.

I already pretty much answered the question about G2 over G2. Two ply heads on the bottom is possible but it will deaden the tone and take away some of the thunder IMO.
G2 over G1 is the way to go.

How often you change your heads is another subject altogether. You just change them when they are hammered looking or when the tone goes away. It all depends on you and how serious you are about having the perfect tone.
It could be every 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years.

Where I buy my heads the G1 is just slightly less expensive than the G2. It's entirely up to you, but I wouldn't put a 2 ply head on my drums to be used as a resonant head. I use 1 ply, 10 mil heads either clear or coated for resonant heads. I can't think of any good reason to use a 2 ply reso head unless you're after a certain sound that you can't achieve with a single ply. It all depends on how frequently the drums are used, the age of the heads if they are tighten down and just sitting on the shells and if there is any damage to the heads. The damage could be a factor of improper head mounting, dents from sticks or sticks with broken or chipped tips. On an average I change my batters about every month and the resonant heads about every two or three months. Again depending on how much any particular kit is used. If you're not gigging or doing studio work, then it's not as critical and you may get many months out of a set of heads.

Dennis

Well, you got all your heads for right at $300, which is what you said yould spend right?.
Sounds like win to me.

I already pretty much answered the question about G2 over G2. Two ply heads on the bottom is possible but it will deaden the tone and take away some of the thunder IMO.
G2 over G1 is the way to go.

How often you change your heads is another subject altogether. You just change them when they are hammered looking or when the tone goes away. It all depends on you and how serious you are about having the perfect tone.
It could be every 3 weeks, 3 months or 3 years.

Haha, whoops. Need to pay more attention. Alright, cause I know these skins are stock from the kit which is about.. 3 years old.

Where I buy my heads the G1 is just slightly less expensive than the G2. It's entirely up to you, but I wouldn't put a 2 ply head on my drums to be used as a resonant head. I use 1 ply, 10 mil heads either clear or coated for resonant heads. I can't think of any good reason to use a 2 ply reso head unless you're after a certain sound that you can't achieve with a single ply. It all depends on how frequently the drums are used, the age of the heads if they are tighten down and just sitting on the shells and if there is any damage to the heads. The damage could be a factor of improper head mounting, dents from sticks or sticks with broken or chipped tips. On an average I change my batters about every month and the resonant heads about every two or three months. Again depending on how much any particular kit is used. If you're not gigging or doing studio work, then it's not as critical and you may get many months out of a set of heads.

Dennis

Thanks. I gig with it a bit, but when I do I don't bring my double kicks or all the toms. I have some DW7000's to use as a double kick, to replace my single Speed Cobras. I usually just gig with one kick and 3 or 4 toms. so that'll reduce the wear.

Thanks guys.

Edit*

Just read a thread about EC2. Might check those out as well.

Last edited:
Edit*

Just read a thread about EC2. Might check those out as well.

Uh oh!...ha ha, I have EC2's but I didnt want to bring them up because I didnt want to confuse you. I was going on what tone it sounded like you were looking for.

I love my EC2's. They are basically G2's with a built in dampening ring that controls some of the overtones and ring sound.
They will steal a little thunder though. They have a slightly more dead tone, which I like. Actually, I like both G2 and EC2. I just happen to have EC2's now.
I could easily see myself getting G2's next time. :)

Heres more before you read it somewhere else...lol.

For the kick drum I suggested GMAD. Well theres also EMAD and EMAD2 which are the same basic design.
They all look the same and have the same built in dampening ring.

EMAD: single ply 10mil (open and loud but a little thin, less durable)

EMAD2: 2 ply, one 10mil and one 7mil I think (more durable although a bit more dead tone)

GMAD: single ply extra thick 12mil (best of both worlds IMO, durable because its thicker, more open, loud and low because of thick single ply)

Last edited:
Uh oh!...ha ha, I have EC2's but I didnt want to bring them up because I didnt want to confuse you. I was going on what tone it sounded like you were looking for.

I love my EC2's. They are basically G2's with a built in dampening ring that controls some of the overtones and ring sound.
They will steal a little thunder though. They have a slightly more dead tone, which I like.

Ohh alright. so, should I still get the G2's?

Dunno, youve heard the descriptions. What do you think?.

You cant go wrong. These are all top of the line heads.
You have to decide what tone your going for.

There are tons of threads on all these heads.
Just read up and go with your gut.

After reading and watching some videos I think I might just go with the EC2's. I just wish I could hear them in person. People say not the EC2's, but some say go for them. I just have no idea what either sound like in a mic'd room or in person.

Back