Drum Heads

Rusted Over

Hey everyone, I'm planning on replacing all drum heads on my kit and i need some opinions on drum heads.
-Please Post Your Favorite Heads Thanks!-

Hey everyone, I'm planning on replacing all drum heads on my kit and i need some opinions on drum heads.
-Please Post Your Favorite Heads Thanks!-

It would really help to know what kind of kit you have and what kind of sound you are after if you are looking for suggestions.

I have a PDP Drumkit and i'm really looking for more of a Heavier sound. I play Rock beats most often. Preferrably Clear heads. Something that lasts.

I have a PDP Drumkit and i'm really looking for more of a Heavier sound. I play Rock beats most often. Preferrably Clear heads. Something that lasts.

I use Remo Emperors as batters. 2 ply heads very durable. I run Ambassadors as reso's. Both come in clear and coated and work well for your music style.
If you're an Evans fan the G2's over G1's are basically the same thing. I'm sure there's an Aquarian equivalent too, but I'm not familiar with their products.

I use Remo Emperors as batters. 2 ply heads very durable. I run Ambassadors as reso's. Both come in clear and coated and work well for your music style.
If you're an Evans fan the G2's over G1's are basically the same thing. I'm sure there's an Aquarian equivalent too, but I'm not familiar with their products.

I'll second this... get good un-muffled 2 ply heads for batters over good single ply reso's for a nice deep sound that's good for heavier rock without sounding choked like Pinstripes.

Toms (13/16/18): Clear Remo Emperors over Ambassadors
Kick (24): Aquarian Superkick II
Snare (14): Remo Emp Coated over Ambassador

That's mine but I wouldn't recommend clears if you're bad at tuning. They're a total pain in the arse, especially on the 13 inch tom.

The Aquarian answer:
Batter
Performance II or Response II or Super II's
Performances are like Pinstipes, low tuning, punchy, fat, wet, etc.
Response's are the midway b/w Performances and Supers it seems
Supers are what seem to be the closest to Emperors

Resonant
Classic Clears are the same as clear Ambassadors
and Classic Clears Snare Sides are Snare Side Ambassadors

try one of these sets
http://www.aquariandrumheads.com/drumhead_tips/default.asp good luck

bass drum and snare... just check the website
most people will tell you to get a Super-II, the better version of an EMAD 2 (imo)
Currently I have stock Ludwig snare heads on my LM411 (Ambassador weights methinks), Coated Vintage Emperors on toms over Smooth White Ambassadors (well, not quite here yet), and coated emperor bass with the stock Ludwig logo resonant bass
(john bonham kit (execpt a 20 X 24 bass not 14 X 26)

Hello!!
I have been playing as a professional for over 25 years as well as having a degree in Audio Engineering. Remo Pin Strip, Batter or Non-Batter are to me the very best heads for live playing and for having the long lasting characteristics.
Also they sound awesome when recorded onto tape/digital HD. For your snare try Power Stroke,silver stripe and white dotted by REMO. I have been using them and one Evans (which I hate) on my 18" floor tom. All the rest are Remo Pinstrip-Clear with clear dot. They do have a bit of oil in the head's layers so they have a very deep sound to them.
Good Luck & God Bless

I highly recomend using the same thickness head for
batters and resonants on toms.
Tune them to the same pitch and tis a nice sound indeed...

12" toms and smaller I recomend single ply top/bottom
13" and larger and you can use 2 ply top/bottom
gives a nice thick sound

I use coated over clear for recording and all clear live for the additional attack.

Back