Considering a kit

Mr. Serpent

Nothing is set in stone as I still need to think about space issues, but I've been looking at a couple of kits and a couple have caught my eye. I appreciate any advice anyone can give me, since I'm sure you all know far more about drums than myself, and I don't want to spend a lot of cash on equipment that isn't or won't be worth it in the long run.

My budget is about £250, looking for an intermediate kit (I hear bad things about beginner kits), second hand is fine too.

Here's a couple I've been looking at:
Kit 1
Kit 2

Thanks in advance for any tips.

I think those two kits youve shown look like beginer kits, you might need to spend a little more cash to get an 'intermediate' kit. I would say that an intermediate kit would be Gretsch Catalina Maple, Yamaha Stage, Mapex M Birch or Pro M, Tama Superstar, Pearl Vision ect.. Am i right here, drum gurus.

How long have you been playing btw?

Those would definitely be considered beginner kits, regardless of what the advertising says. The kits listed in Louisdrums thread would be intermediate kits. I'd continue to save and get a much better kit!

Ah, thanks, how much more am I looking at to get a decent intermediate kit (as I said, I'm fine with second hand so long as it's still in decent condition)?

Louis: If I'm being honest I have no experience, I have a lot of interest in drums though I've had no training and have only sat behind a kit once (didn't even have drum sticks at the time >_>).
The reason I'm looking for an intermediate kit is that I hear, even for a beginner, a beginner's kit isn't the best choice.
However, I'm open to any advice.

Note: Just in case this will make much of a difference, I live in England.

I should definetly look for a good second hand kit and save some money first.
With just a little bit more money and some good research you could get a way better kit

I should definetly look for a good second hand kit and save some money first.
With just a little bit more money and some good research you could get a way better kit

Ah, I see.

This is harder than I thought, craigslist had nothing I can afford (cheapest was £1,600), and ebay doesn't seem to have any proper intermediate kits either.

Suppose I'll have to dig deeper, anyone have any places they can recomend?

Look over ebay every day, especially at this time of year, often a great bargain will pop up. Something like a Tama Superstar or Catalina might just make your budget, but you may have to compromise on condition as 250 really isn't much. Cymbals won't be included at that price either.
Better still, be patient, save up and boost your budget.

It's cool that you're eBaying for a kit, that's where the deal are for sure.

You know, I bought my son a Sound Percussion kit for his birthday last year and for $200 USD - it's a pretty great sounding kit! It's not the highest quality but for the money it's a steal. The shells are some variety of "mahogany" (i.e. luan) and tuned up right, with good heads...they sound really nice.

With that low of a price you could get yourself a couple of decent cymbals w/ the left over cash and come out way ahead.

Thanks for the link, this could come in very helpful, favourited.

Although this kit comes with no cymbals, it's second hand and relatively cheap, I wouldn't mind getting this then buying cymbals seperately.

Your thoughts, gentlemen?

Since you don't have much experience, and are just starting in the drumming world.. i would say to go for a beginner kit then once you have improved and are progressing. Sell it, maybe you will get like £50-£100 for it and then buy an intermediate kit. Although, if you buy a beginner kit i wouldn't expect too much out of it, in terms of sound quality...

^^ This is what I did, and I'm happy with it.

Ooo btw, this may be random but I have just bought some Dave Weckl Sticks and love em' ;) Very nice.

That's probably the best thing to do. I'll forget about an intermediate now and get something cheap to get a feel for it.

One final question then (I hope):
http://www.rockemmusic.com/product/tempo-used-blue-rock-size-drum-kit

Would buying that, and some cymbals seperately, be a 'good' idea? Or should I go back to something in the first post?

I appreciate everything said in this topic, I don't usually ask so many questions but the reality of it is I know near nothing compared to most of you.

That's probably the best thing to do. I'll forget about an intermediate now and get something cheap to get a feel for it.

Would buying that, and some cymbals seperately, be a 'good' idea? Or should I go back to something in the first post?

I appreciate everything said in this topic, I don't usually ask so many questions but the reality of it is I know near nothing compared to most of you.

Although i would personally recommend saving up for a used intermediate kit, if money is that much of an issue, than fair enough, go beginner.

While I don't know much about beginner kits to know if that one is good, one recommendation i have is that get USED cymbals. I dont know about prices in the UK but here in Australia, you can get used Zildjian ZBT's for 80 AUD, compared to over 200 AUD new. And if you are going to buy cymbals separately, theres enough information about cheap cymbals on this forum. Such as the Sabian B8's, Paiste PST5s, ZBTs etc.

Last edited:

It depends on how serious you think you're going to take playing the drums. If you think it may just be a short lived phase go for a beginner kit; if you think you'll stick with it, I'd take a few months and save for something more. 400 pounds could buy a great second hand package on eBay, which will sound great and last you for a time.

Back