Improvement

Nehalem

Hello
This is my first post so if it is in an inappropriate section or you have suggestions regarding a more reasonable place to post my issue, please make yourself heard. I am having a bit of trouble and if you have advice to offer, please reply.
I am 16 and I started drumming a couple of months ago. Unfortunately, I live far from any drumming instructors so I have had to improvise. My problem is although I do practise regularly(this includes those dreaded rudiments) and I am enthusiastic about it, I have reached a certain point and I am no longer progressing. I am beginning to lose interest because I am forced by my lack of creativity to play the same things over and over. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to improve without being able to read music and without having access to an instructor.

Thanks

Hi Nehalem and welcome!
You may have found yourself in a bit of a rut because you might have become so focused on all the rudiments, proper drum methods and all that rut, the whole thing's become a bit of a chore to you.
What I'd recommend is to include (probably at the end of your practice session) a short (or medium) amount of time where you just put on the headphones with your favorites songs and jam to them. That brings back the fun in the whole concept! As each week progresses, you can keep on the lookout for different songs that you may want to jam to, that would keep your jam time fresh.
It helps as well as being fun because it strengthens your stamina, improves on your timing (especially if you can put a click track or metronome into the mix somehow), and toughens up your limbs (particularly when they all get moving in different rhythms and you just sit there and watch!).
Anyway, hope this helps!

I don't understand how you can stop progressing in only 3 months of playing. You should start learning to play songs that you find difficult or challenging. Maybe you should check out your technique, learn the free stroke. 3 months is way to early to have nothing to do lol.

Thanks for the response. I understand what you are saying and I have considered it but I do not believe that it has becoming a chore. I don't spend all my time playing rudiments. Also, with the playing of my favourite songs, unfortunately, I cannot quite do that. Remember that I have had to teach myself. I can pick up what goes on in songs but I am not at the stage where I can identify each sound to the extent that I know which drums to play at which times.

I don't understand how you can stop progressing in only 3 months of playing. You should start learning to play songs that you find difficult or challenging. Maybe you should check out your technique, learn the free stroke. 3 months is way to early to have nothing to do lol.

I started playing in July 2009.

Hello
My problem is although I do practise regularly(this includes those dreaded rudiments) and I am enthusiastic about it, I have reached a certain point and I am no longer progressing.

Thanks

Hello Nehalem, welcome to DW.

The problem you have now should not concern you, it is common and perfectly natural. Your muscles are learning movements they have not done before, your brain is focusing on coordinating your limbs in new ways....it's quite a lot to deal with! Most likely what has happened recently is that you have progressed to a level and your body and mind must get used to this new level before you can move on. Think of progress like an old man walking up a long flight of stairs, every once in a while he must stop to take a breath before he can move on again. Be patient with yourself.

As for teachers? Perhaps you could try online lessons?

Good luck.

Hello and welcome.
I can understand your frustation after recently going through similar issues.
I found the Tommy Igoe book and DVD of use. It teaches you basic beats via both the dvd and book.
I couldnt sight read, but after studying the text, this skill became easier. Combine this with the dvd and cd with the book, the set is very powerful.
Practice the basic rock beat, bass 1,3, snare 2,4 etc. Get the timing down right, and try to improve speed and consistency. Find a simple fill on the net. 3 bars of beat, 1 bar of fill.
Listen to the music you like and try to pick out various parts that you like. If like me, you are not creative enough for your own music, play along with the basic beat throughout the track, but try to maintain tempo and consistency of strikes.

Stick with the rudiments. Whilst they may seem dull, suck it up! The single stroke roll will help you develop consistency, so that every strike is the same in volume, head position. Practice paradiddles, and when comfortable with both hands leading, try moving a different hand to a different drum. This provides a totally different sound and keeps it interesting.
Finally, read everything you can, on this site and others. Follow the links that people put up. They're interesting and appropriate mainly. (Especially Pollanna's!)

Good luck with it all, stick with it.

John brings up a great point, using DVDs to get new ideas for practice and woodshedding. You say you can't identify which instrument is being played by sound yet; well, the DVD should clear that up for you because you can see what the drummer is hitting.

Also check out Youtube. Many drummers put out serialized online lessons and practice tips for free, at all levels of development. You could even put your laptop right next to the drumset and play along.

Hello Nehalem, welcome to DW.

The problem you have now should not concern you, it is common and perfectly natural. Your muscles are learning movements they have not done before, your brain is focusing on coordinating your limbs in new ways....it's quite a lot to deal with! Most likely what has happened recently is that you have progressed to a level and your body and mind must get used to this new level before you can move on. Think of progress like an old man walking up a long flight of stairs, every once in a while he must stop to take a breath before he can move on again. Be patient with yourself.

As for teachers? Perhaps you could try online lessons?

Good luck.

Thanks for this response. Perhaps time will be the solution.

Hello and welcome.
I can understand your frustation after recently going through similar issues.
I found the Tommy Igoe book and DVD of use. It teaches you basic beats via both the dvd and book.
I couldnt sight read, but after studying the text, this skill became easier. Combine this with the dvd and cd with the book, the set is very powerful.
Practice the basic rock beat, bass 1,3, snare 2,4 etc. Get the timing down right, and try to improve speed and consistency. Find a simple fill on the net. 3 bars of beat, 1 bar of fill.
Listen to the music you like and try to pick out various parts that you like. If like me, you are not creative enough for your own music, play along with the basic beat throughout the track, but try to maintain tempo and consistency of strikes.

Stick with the rudiments. Whilst they may seem dull, suck it up! The single stroke roll will help you develop consistency, so that every strike is the same in volume, head position. Practice paradiddles, and when comfortable with both hands leading, try moving a different hand to a different drum. This provides a totally different sound and keeps it interesting.
Finally, read everything you can, on this site and others. Follow the links that people put up. They're interesting and appropriate mainly. (Especially Pollanna's!)

Good luck with it all, stick with it.

I plan to buy the set of which you speak. From this list: http://www.kalahari.net/page_templa...xt=Tommy+Igoe&navigationid=1&displayShop=home which is the most suitable for me?

John brings up a great point, using DVDs to get new ideas for practice and woodshedding. You say you can't identify which instrument is being played by sound yet; well, the DVD should clear that up for you because you can see what the drummer is hitting.

Also check out Youtube. Many drummers put out serialized online lessons and practice tips for free, at all levels of development. You could even put your laptop right next to the drumset and play along.

Will try this.
Thanks for all the help.

Get Volume 1, the Book + CD + DVD combo.

Volume 2 (again Book + CD + DVD) has a lot of interesting stuff too. But more advanced.

Wholeheartedly agree with this. Get Volume 1, the DVD and book. The CD playalong comes with the book.
There is ample material in this set, that will have you playing fairly quickly. What it wont do is teach you improvisation.
There are quite a few teachers on youtube that dont charge and some are fairly good from a beginning perspective.
Stick with it, if its what you want to do. If not......jog on to something else!

Cheers mate.

Back