Modding my DW 8000s

Trip.a.lit.one

Well around a year ago i bought a pair of dw 8000 doubles on sale new for $250. Ive had many problems with the spring assembly. The spring has broke around four times and now the bearing that the spring attaches to is worn out. The bearing is a crappy bearing from start and the balls of the bearing dug into the metal and now the inner race is rubbing against the outer race (hard to explain if you don't know what the pedals are like) and this made a large difference in the smoothness of the pedals and caused a lot of resistance. So my fix is to put a better bearing in were to crappy one was. I used a lath and cut out the old bearing and put a new one in, i have the wrong size hole so i have to wait until the other bearings come in. I got ceramic hybrid bearings that are steel on the outside but have ceramic balls which makes it smoother. Ill post pics when I finish them and tell how they preform compared to the crappy bearing that was in there from start, im expecting it to be smoother and of course last a lot longer.

In picture right is original bearing left is what is made

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    116.4 KB · Views: 186
Well around a year ago i bought a pair of dw 8000 doubles on sale new for $250. Ive had many problems with the spring assembly. The spring has broke around four times and now the bearing that the spring attaches to is worn out. The bearing is a crappy bearing from start and the balls of the bearing dug into the metal and now the inner race is rubbing against the outer race (hard to explain if you don't know what the pedals are like) and this made a large difference in the smoothness of the pedals and caused a lot of resistance. So my fix is to put a better bearing in were to crappy one was. I used a lath and cut out the old bearing and put a new one in, i have the wrong size hole so i have to wait until the other bearings come in. I got ceramic hybrid bearings that are steel on the outside but have ceramic balls which makes it smoother. Ill post pics when I finish them and tell how they preform compared to the crappy bearing that was in there from start, im expecting it to be smoother and of course last a lot longer.

In picture right is original bearing left is what is made

How about switching-out the main shaft bearings with ceramic hybrids?

i would but Im thinking about getting new pedals and dont want to put more money then is needed into these, i just dont want to sell crap if i sell these. They are in great condition i just dont like them that much and bought them because they were on sale and mostly bought them for the name

I just got the new bearings and put them in, and in conclusion it wasn't worth it, it made it smoother and slightly lighter but just enough to notice, but this will last 10 times longer then the original bearing .... and probably never need replaced, but i want be using these pedals much more now since i ordered a pair of tricks last night =)

Back