60's type rock/ jazz heads???

StringSkunk

Heyyyy, i have a Tama Starclassic Performer with birch shells that i am considering getting new heads for. What I'm going for is that really jazzy, but still able to bang on, kind of sound that Mitch Mitchell, Keith Moon, Ginger Baker and the likes achieve. Right now I'm using 2 toms (12X12 as the high and 14X14 for the floor) and the 14X5 inch birch snare that the set came with, along with the 20X22 inch kick. Right now my snare heads are way too heavy (top and bottom) and i also would like a more punchy jazzy rock sound from the bass drum. I just have no idea what kinds of heads to buy for this purpose, as far as brand model names and such, but I guess I'm gonna be looking for something pretty thin all around right? Advice please!! Thanks a bunch.

Cool, cool, I'll definitely look into them. What about resonant heads, I think the ones that came on my set (and are about 9 years old) are Evans hazy's, but I'm not sure if they're 200s or 300s. What's probably best for toms and snares? Would 200 be too thin?

Cool, cool, I'll definitely look into them. What about resonant heads, I think the ones that came on my set (and are about 9 years old) are Evans hazy's, but I'm not sure if they're 200s or 300s. What's probably best for toms and snares? Would 200 be too thin?

hazy 200 and 300 are just for snares. Don't use them on toms.

Diplomats were common for reso heads as were ambassadors.

my recommendation for that warm classic sound with those birch drums: Coated Ambassadors top and bottom. Snare: Coated Ambassador with Ambassador Snare Side Bass: Coated Powerstroke

Hmm interesting, coated bottom heads? I don't think I've ever heard a drum with that kinda setup, unless i just wasn't looking at it from the right angle haha.

What about the front bass drum head, i have the original one that says Tama on it that i put a hole in off-center, would it benefit me to change this out for a new hole-less one?

All those guys played vintage Remos mostly Ambassadors and Emperors.

But you might also want to check out this video on tuning the "big band" way, too. Baker, Mitchell, Bohnham, Palmer, etc all tuned their drums like the big band drummers like Rich and Krupa did.

http://www.drummerworld.com/Videos/johnbonhamocheltree.html

Strangelove! Now that's what I'm talkin' about! This is the exact stuff I'm trying to find but have been unsuccessful. I have always been fascinated with the tuning and sound of the many jazz players back in the day but never really knew the secrets of achieving that type of sound.

How much higher should the bottom heads be tuned relative to the top heads exactly? Up until now I've mainly been tuning both heads pretty high, but at the same pitch.

How much higher should the bottom heads be tuned relative to the top heads exactly? Up until now I've mainly been tuning both heads pretty high, but at the same pitch.

It varies by drums, but I would say in the ballpark of a full turn to a full turn and a half tighter on the resos. That is what Jeff means by cranking them. And they usually sound best as Emperor batters and Ambasador resos - all coated. Let me say this, though. When you have both heads tuned to the same note, the reso sympathetically vibrates, giving the drum a long sustaining resonance. Tightening the reso will cut back on that sustain (though it cuts back on those overtones that drive us crazy, so no need for muffling!). But for the best sound, I would start about 3/4 turns tighter on the resos and go in 1/4 increments up to about 1 and 1/2. You will find the drum's sweet spot, or where the reso is in harmony with the batter, even though it is higher pitched than the batter. In between those harmony spots, the drum can sound kind of choked, though. If you are in a choked sounding zone, you can usually tighten or loosen the reso to get out of it, if that makes sense.

Last edited:
I've been tuning my drums like this for a few years now and I always get compliments on the sound. The difference is really noticeable on kick drums, especially. Another fun head you should consider is Remo Fiberskyns. Tuned low they resemble calf heads with a low warm thump, and tuned high they have a a nice round tone without the overtones of clear or coated heads. The fibery layer actually has a hint of a dampening effect while still allowing the drum to resonate with a full tone. Fiberskyns on top and bottom of toms would give a nice deep sound without the choked sound of double ply heads

Hmm interesting, coated bottom heads? I don't think I've ever heard a drum with that kinda setup, unless i just wasn't looking at it from the right angle haha.

coated medium top and bottom heads was a pretty standard setup back in the day before a lot of the "specialty" heads (clear heads, dots, pinstripes, etc.) were introduced. pretty much every set you saw or bought at that time came with those heads as standard.

in fact when i do my next head change i'm going back to coated top AND bottom on the toms -- old school for sure, just as i use no port and a felt strip front and back on the kick.

Back