Recording Electronic Drums to MacBook Pro

kars2010

Hey everyone, I have another question, lol. I want to know how to record to a MacBook Pro. I see a lot where they tell you to use your mic input on your computer. Well I don't have one of them. I'm new to this so I just want to know how to do this.

Thanks!

Investing in an audio interface would be the way to start, especially if you don't have a mic input. You can get a really basic one, don't really need anything high end, you get a lot of quality stuff at reasonable price points these days.

That said, getting a better interface will improve things like latency and the quality of the conversion of the audio signal into digital. Alternatively, you could hook up with midi cables and play into the appropriate software like GarageBand or something like Superior or BFD to get the best sounds available, but this would be heavy on computer resources and needs better hardware.

All said and done, do read up on how to record before you make any decision. Planning purchases and setups will be of benefit in eliminating the need for a replacement further down the road.

- Reggae Mangle

Yes, You plug from your stereo line out on your v-drum brain to the line in on the imic.
go to system preferences/sound, select imic as the input.

So can I buy a 1/4" male to two 1/8" female y adapter. One for my headphones and one for an aux cord to go to the iMic connected to my mac?

You shouldn't need a Y adapter.
You can plug your phones directly into the imic along with your e-kit. The imic has an input as well as an output for 1/8 inch stereo plugs.
There also should be both a headphone output as well as a line output on the v-drum brain.
You can also plug into the headphone out on your Mac.
The imic plugs into the usb port.
You simply have to go to system preferences and tell the Mac what sound sources to use for both input and output.

Last edited:
Ok sounds simple enough. One thing. I called around and they said this way wouldn't give as good of quality. They said to buy an audio interface and do it that way. Sorry I'm just trying to get this straight. I just want a way that will sound good.

I'm just going to buy an audio interface and do it the right way. Maybe a little more expensive but it should sound good.

I'm just going to buy an audio interface and do it the right way. Maybe a little more expensive but it should sound good.

That Griffin thing is an audio interface. An inexpensive one, but an interface nonetheless.
An interface, in this sense, takes external audio (or midi) and converts it into a form a computer can accept.

Last edited:
Back