Drum Slang and Acronyms

Okay people, time to make a list. I know I have come across some slang and acronyms that I don't know, and I am sure I am not alone. I'll start.

Tubs - slang for drums
Pies - slang for cymbals
B/O - Blue/Olive Ludwig badge
MIJ - Made in Japan
COB - Chrome Over Brass
Kick - slang for bass drum (typically a metal term)

And what exactly is GAS?

G(ear) A(cquisition) S(yndrome)

Like an uncontrollable urge to purchase new gear.

Toms...When I learned to play,they were called mounted or floor toms(because,thats what drum companys called them) ...not rack toms,flying toms,ride toms,high/low toms,tenor toms,timbale toms,bass toms,kick drum toms, or any other name.

Rack tom,was starting to be used because of toms being mounted on drum racks.

To me,a bass drum will ALWAYS be called a bass drum,because that's what it is,and it was NEVER kicked,and always played with a beater.

PFOG is 100% correct....kick drum was a term applied by sound engineers in the 70's,and not by drummers,to the bass drum.

Steve B

Don't get me started on rudiments...

Pretty sure I've got those figured out.

Double strokes - motherf*#%$@!

Paradiddles - sonofab$*&#

Single strokes - #%%@

"groove" somehow became another word for drumbeat

Much in the same vein, once upon a time "chops" simply meant a musician's (any musician's) skillset. Now it seems to have evolved to encompass nothing more than a rudimentary orientated drummer......or is that just on drum forums? :)

Money Beat - Hats on 8ths, kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4

(Less than a year ago, I would have needed 30 minutes and a sheet of paper to make sense of that...and would prolly have failed.)

Money Beat - Hats on 8ths, kick on 1 and 3, snare on 2 and 4

(Less than a year ago, I would have needed 30 minutes and a sheet of paper to make sense of that...and would prolly have failed.)

Ha...that's one the first questions I ever asked the experts on DW..."what is the money beat".

I told my wife about the word 'groove' and she replied "well don't you just mean the drum beat"?

Forum specific:

Butt strap = friendly personal insult.

Saturn = all encompassing special powers.

The coast = an escape from the madness that is drumming.

To "do a Sticks" = instant, passionate & uncompromising blind defence of one's position.

"In The Pocket" = staying in time
"Skins"= drum heads
"Hoops"= rims
"Shlep"=hauling gear
"Chops"= your playing ability or skill

Back