Jazz Heads?

Was told by several people, including my college, that for my jazz module of the course I'd need a snare head suitable for jazz. So, what heads are good for jazz?

I would look at coated ambassadors as a standard. Having said that, I also would consider Fiberskyn as a good head for brushes. I also like Evans G1, or Strata 1000 heads for a more calf skin feel and sound. Good for brushes.

Most any single ply coated head will do.

Evans G1, Aquarian Texture Coated, etc. Personally, I use the Aquarian Modern Vintage heads which is another singe ply coated option. They are supposed to replicate calfskin heads. Having never played calfskin, I can't speak for how well they do that but the coating does last forever.

What head do you have on your snare now?

I think the go-to head for most jazz players is a coated one-ply head with little to no muffling. Ambassador, G1, or Texture Coated or similar. If you want to go the faux-calfskin route a Remo Skyntone or Aquarian Modern Vintage is another good choice.

The main thing that you want in a jazz snare is sensitivity.
Most drummers obtain that by using a tightly tuned 7 to 10 mil single ply coated head.
Single ply for response when attacked lightly, and coating for warmth and texture when using brushes.
Any head that meets the above specs will be a shoe-in.

evans j1 etched. designed, they claim, specifically for jazz. coated remo ambassadors have been the go-to for decades for many drummers, not just jazz ones... but if they still make the
j1's, give them a try too

What head do you have on your snare now?

I think the go-to head for most jazz players is a coated one-ply head with little to no muffling. Ambassador, G1, or Texture Coated or similar. If you want to go the faux-calfskin route a Remo Skyntone or Aquarian Modern Vintage is another good choice.

I currently have an Evans Ebony coated head (I think its Evans) which I bought because I was recording drums with a metal band and needed a thick head

Back