Strange woman found lurking in the workshop ;)

Andy

Honorary Member
Actually, lurking, but not that strange really ;)

Madge visited the finishing shop so I could "improve" her (insert mystery brand here) kit because it is difficult to tune. A quick check on the calibrated plate soon revealed why. Madge's teacher (Liam) accompanied her, so while he's noodling in the showroom, I get to improving her drums. She did take me for a nice pub lunch though, so all's good :)

Here's a brief clip of Liam (great player) noodling https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=r4VADM7CLLM&feature=youtu.be

& below, some photo's of Madge lurking, & the mystery snare that came with the kit (bought new!). I managed to fix up the edges on the other drums (they were all pretty poor), but couldn't do anything with this (ahem) interesting take on snare beds. The batter edge was just as bad :(

Attachments

• madge.jpg
    madge.jpg
    929.8 KB · Views: 623
  • snare1.jpg
    snare1.jpg
    784.5 KB · Views: 605
  • snare2.jpg
    snare2.jpg
    725.2 KB · Views: 594
man, you could slide a caek under that gap!
or a dead clam...

You do realise that this is starting to become a habit, and that people will talk? You and Liam REALLY should stop!

Andy, all the way home I kept saying "I've had a lovely day!" and I did - we both did. You are unbelievably generous, and it's much appreciated. I referred to your showroom as "the sweet shop" and that's just what it's like, and Liam was like a kid who'd been shut in overnight. (And I played too, did you hear? You probably couldn't tell the difference between him and me, of course ...)

In addition, the Guru review in Rhythm magazine was proper good :)

As for poor Marilyn - I did tell you she was vile, but she exceeded my expectations. Next stop ebay :/ Mr Madge is delighted, but that's because he doesn't yet know about the 1960s blue oyster Ludwig my guitarist has just heard about. It's perfectly possible he wouldn't even notice the difference, of course!

Wow that guy must have been a little drunky wunky finishing that drum. The butt strap plate is way too high. The snare beds...HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I guess that drum was manufactured for 100 strand snare wire sets, right?

I'm sure it was no problem, you just put it on a snare bed filler inner machine, right?

Madge you're adorable.

Andy, you're finally making drums with bright, sparkly wrap finishes!

Pretending he didn't read the entire post just to tweak his buddy,
8Mile

Two things come to mind Andy....holy daylight Batman,and...... mind the gap.:) I'm sure you did the best you could,but that edge was too far gone.But it's a great excuse to buy a new snare Madge.Great smile by the way.

Andy ,yet again you are a class act sir...:)

Steve B

Less like snare beds and more like snare hammocks!
More like an entire YMCA dormitory!

man, you could slide a caek under that gap!
or a dead clam...
As a kid, I used to make tunnels for my train set with less headroom ;)

In addition, the Guru review in Rhythm magazine was proper good :)
Yes, very pleased with that, but not available online - yet :(

Next stop ebay :/ Mr Madge is delighted, but that's because he doesn't yet know about the 1960s blue oyster Ludwig my guitarist has just heard about.
FFS, let me inspect it before you buy it - no, really! 98% of them are a pile of crap :(

..HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA! I guess that drum was manufactured for 100 strand snare wire sets, right?

I'm sure it was no problem, you just put it on a snare bed filler inner machine, right?
I just happen to have a 350 strand set on standby for such occasions ;)

As for the "snare bed filler inner machine", sorry, that shell is beyond anything I can do (or frankly, would want to)> It's a write off. The other drum edges were only off by about 1/8"! On new drums, at any price = completely unacceptable, but not the worst I've found, not by a long way!

That snare bed is enough to drive someone to Devil Juice.
Absolutely, but when you find even worse edges on a $1,200 snare drum, that really drives you to the drug cabinet. & yes, I've found exactly that!

Pretending he didn't read the entire post just to tweak his buddy,
8Mile
i may just have to kill you Bo, sorry, Hyde, sorry -------

Madge you're adorable.

Nah, I'm not. But you are, to say something as kind as that - even after you've met me in real life! xxx

That snare bed is enough to drive someone to Devil Juice.

It's bad, but not THAT horrific.

#sharpintakeofbreath!!

Two things come to mind Andy....holy daylight Batman,and...... mind the gap.:) I'm sure you did the best you could,but that edge was too far gone.But it's a great excuse to buy a new snare Madge.Great smile by the way.

Andy ,yet again you are a class act sir...:)

Steve B

Haha spot-on, Steve, I'm just trying to work out how much I would get if I sold a kidney so that I can buy a decent snare. At the time the photo was taken, I hadn't yet played one of Andy's padauk snares. The smile afterwards would have lit up a small village. And yes, he is a wonderful and lovely man.

FFS, let me inspect it before you buy it - no, really! 98% of them are a pile of crap :(

Don't worry. I don't need it or want it. Unlike a certain padauk snare.

Thank you for saying I'm adorable, I am forced to agree lol. Madge, until you properly accept my compliment, I shall remain less than fully happy. Of course you're adorable, I can feel the sunshine of your smile clear across the Atlantic.

Women need to accept compliments better, that's what I think.

Thank you for saying I'm adorable, I am forced to agree lol. Madge, until you properly accept my compliment, I shall remain less than fully happy. Of course you're adorable, I can feel the sunshine of your smile clear across the Atlantic.

Women need to accept compliments better, that's what I think.

Ah, I'm sorry, Larry. I happily told Andy today that he was lovely, and I regularly tell Liam the same thing, but it always feels odd when somebody says something like that to me. I didn't mean to sound churlish, so thank you, with all my heart! It's just that it's not a word that has often been used to describe me, so it took me by surprise somewhat!

Madge has spent years honing her smile as a way to lull the unsuspecting into a false sense of security.

Seriously though, looks like a lovely time. Andy, I'll say it again, you're a stand up bloke and I won't hear a word against you!

Still undecided on Liam's facial hair.

Ah, I'm sorry, Larry. I happily told Andy today that he was lovely, and I regularly tell Liam the same thing, but it always feels odd when somebody says something like that to me. I didn't mean to sound churlish, so thank you, with all my heart! It's just that it's not a word that has often been used to describe me, so it took me by surprise somewhat!

Thank you for that Madge. I have to remind my wife of the same thing sometime. It comes off way better. You are adorable, I've met you. I read somewhere that you never want to disagree with someone who is complimenting you. I found that complimenting back is a good evasive maneuver lol. Changes the subject quick.

If only Madge could find a well loved alumin(i)um snare drum somewhere.

@Andy - would that poor Jewish Racing Gold snare drum get that shape from twisting? It looks like it's half way to being a figure-8 instead of a circle. And could it get fixed by planing/sanding down or is it fubar?

That's a king size snare bed!!!

Yes Madge, Andy is the most generous person I know... and he's extremely good company too and he's adorable, we're extremely lucky to be his friends :)

King size snare bed too funny. Nice Henri. It looks like there might be like 1" if that, on each side of that snare shell that's not part of the snare bed lol. Talk about your rockin snare drum. Haga!

I think we're all missing the main point here.

It's that I'm adorable, too.

That was great man.

I got this.

Friends, Watso will be here all week. Make sure you get your share.

Back